Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 194 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 15

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich thank you for your thoughts on my modeling; much appreciated. Ok now I know what Dave was referring to as "film". I used vellum when I did drafting in school, a long, long time ago. Yes I probably would sand the shiny side. After making items from leather over the years it is naturally dull in finish and has to be buffed in order to have a shine.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

The whole envelope is Tyvek; the ones for priority mail. I cut strips, painted them a brown color, and rubbed some dark gray powder on the strips. I cant remember what I used for glue. Possibly gel superglue.

Mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thanks for the answer to my question; when I go into town again I'll stop by the USPS and buy one of those envelopes. The material sounds promising.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit of an update. This is where I'm at so far on detailing the back wall:

Most of the items are from Wiseman. Everything was painted and weathered. The chain is jewelry chain and the rope is some stranded heavy thread. The signs and posters are from this forum and resized to scale. The shop manuals were made from several pieces of paper glued together and colored with chalk which sit on top of the cabinet. All the items have been glued in place. The barrels under the bench are Ho scale.The benches and cabinet were scratch built stained and weathered.

Again most of the items are from Wiseman except for the gear and the item by the vise. Everything was painted and weathered. I do need to put something behind the 2 items on the floor on the left under the bench. These things have also been glued in place.

Here's an overall view of the back wall. Still a few more items to add here and there. The area to the left of the bench, by the window, will have a scratch built foundry crane built into the corner for the machine that will be on the left side wall.

Next will be to build the welding kit as well as a few more scratch built items.

That's where I'm at for the moment. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  9:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Startin' to look like a proper shop.

Scott

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  9:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Larry. The details are making it look like a real shop now!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  11:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Looks brilliant. I'm also doing interiors at the moment too, so getting some really good ideas from you pics.
They tools etc are really nice details. I must check out Wiseman models.
One common thing to add is a wall calendar, and maybe a clock.

Is the cabinet scratchbuilt. Looks nice.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking details. Like the studding of the walls, looks great.

But, the shop looks to way to clean.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Fine work on the tools and stuff.

The salesman handling out calendars seems to be making the rounds.

Mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott thank you. Still need to add a few more details to the back wall but it's coming along.

Jerry thanks, much appreciated. I didn't realize how time consuming adding details would be; but the time spent should be well worth it.

Rob thank you. Glad I'm able to give you some ideas for your project. A calendar and a clock is a great idea, thanks. The cabinet is made from scale lumber and some card which was stained and weathered. The door was made from card and scale 1x4's glued onto it. Also used a black marker to color the space in between the 2 doors to look dark inside the cabinet.

Bernd thank you and thanks for stopping by. As soon as I'm satisfied with the details on the back wall then I'll start to "dirty up" the place.

Michael thanks; much appreciated. Something was mailed to me some time ago in a white plastic envelope which Looks like Tyvec; forgot I had it and found it yesterday so I guess I already have enough belt material. It does have some very tiny air bubbles on one side but I think that they can be scraped off.

Edited by - Larryc on 01/29/2021 10:48:51 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, you're really doing a first class job here.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Just getting caught up after taking a few months off. Read through the whole topic and you are really doing a wonderful job. Can't wait for more updates.

Roland

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thank you for your kind words and two thumbs up....much appreciated.

Roland thank you and thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to get compliments from someone who has already done one of these.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

JD's is coming to life. Nice details!

~mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you; a little at a time.

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000