Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 198 ]  [ Total: 203 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 24

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  5:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puttering right along:

This is the outside of the back wall. The thing that I like about Northeastern Lumber is some of the boards are smooth on one side and rough on the other. When applying the lumber I would alternate between rough and smooth. The paint would not go into the rough boards with a single brush stroke which was fine. It gave the outside the appearance of being in use a long time and could use a new coat of paint; but not rundown. The glass in the windows were made from thin clear plastic which was glued in between the two frames. To make the windows look dirty I smeared on a thin coat of white glue and let dry; this gave me a "dirty" looking window. Also the red window frames were toned down with a coat of A&I.

Here is the side wall all framed up. The process used was the same as the back wall with a measurement of 23.5 ft long x 18 ft high. Left out windows because this will probably be the wall with the boiler and steam engine so I wanted the maximum amount of wall space. Once this wall is stained, weathered, and painted the two walls will be glued together before moving on to the entry wall.

That's where I'm at with much more to follow. Ideas/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  3:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share an update:

The end walls are finished with them being stained, painted, and weathered. Everything is glued together and also glued to the floor. Some support beams will be added to tie the structure together. The side walls stained a little differently than the back, probably due to a different batch of lumber.

The outside has been painted and all the walls matched pretty well. Also you can see just how "dirty" the windows look.

That's about it for now; there are a few more things that can be done while I await the machine parts.

Any comments/suggestions are always appreciated.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  7:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larryc
Everything is glued together and also glued to the floor....

Any comments/suggestions are always appreciated.

Before you go any further I'd suggest laying some stripwood between the rails,
because your track is recessed you could do it lengthways, I think it would improve your overall look.

Karl.A

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  8:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thank you for stopping by and your comments. I have the wood to go between the rails lengthwise all set, I just forgot to include it in the photo. Haven't glued it down yet until the new trucks arrive and I can check the clearance of the wheel flanges. The photos that you included in your post; is that your work? That is an amazing looking Shop.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  9:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry, great to read you have it pre-planned out already, when I saw the walls glued I just had to ask.
Yes the photos are in progress photos of my workshop.

There may be a few ideas you can use on your build from this thread, after page one.
http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/323/the-loco-and-service-shops-scratchbuilt-in-o-scale/p1

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/13/2021 9:41:07 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  10:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tremendous progress, Larry. It looks great.

One thing you can do to prevent whole areas staining differently is to stain all the wood you will need and then glue them to the frame in random order.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  09:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, it's coming together very nicely.
Keep going.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  09:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Read through your build, it's looking good. I like the weathered wood exterior.

Scott

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  09:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thanks and thank you for the link; fabulous work. I'll check through it more closely when I get a chance and I'm sure that I will pick up a few tips. Also I may have a few questions to ask along the way.

Michael thank you for your comments; much appreciated. So that's why people stain the wood first then build; I thought that it was just a matter of preference. Thanks for the tip!!

Rick thank you for the encouragement; keeps me going.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  09:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott thanks for stopping by and taking a look. I wanted the exterior to look well used but not rundown.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  3:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share a little something that I've working on while waiting for parts to arrive:

Since the Machine Shop is a little on the small side, by design, I decided to scratch build a vertical steam engine to run the overhead pulley lines. The photo which I found online seemed doable.

So this is what I started with as far as materials; pretty much an odd assortment of stuff.

And this is what I ended up with. While not exactly like the photo it's pretty close. The main body is a piece of dowel with the necessary holes drilled. With the cement base the total height is about six feet and 2 feet in diameter. The piston is in the body of the engine so the only thing visible is the Eccentric shaft, which was cut out of a thin cat food can lid, behind the pulley. The bolts, on top of the engine and on the base, were cut from track nails. These proved to be a real "pita" to install. A few were launched in that mythical place called "no where". The steam fitting(elbow)is just sitting in the hole and will be glued when the steam line is plumbed in. There is a also pulley on each side of the Engine. This will take up a lot less floor space than a horizontal engine.

That's where I'm at for the moment. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Edited by - Larryc on 01/15/2021 3:10:39 PM

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  09:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, I like scratchbuilding details. I think your pump is convincing. Persist! ~mike

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great Larry! Keith Wiseman use my build photo of my engine and photoshopped it without the governor. Plus that photo has an old HO driver wheel installed on the top and added pulley and nuts holding them on. Brown paper bag for the belt. The crude governor are tiny sewing headed round pins. Here is the current photo. Dig thru your scrap box!

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 01/16/2021 12:40:08 PM

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  4:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you. I'm pretty happy with the end result. I think it will work.

Philip thanks. Your pump look really good. Thanks for the tip on how you made the governor; I'll have to give it a whirl. It would add a little more detail and realism to the steam engine.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gauge here was made from the plastic needle guard on an insulin pen needle, painted with a white center:

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000