Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 24

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the Climax A is almost completed, I decided to start phase two of the build which will be a Machine Shop to service the loco, among other things.

Of course the bar has been set very high by previous builders doing machine shops. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27394&whichpage=1

This is a prime example of very well done shops and the quality of craftsmanship which exists on this forum. If you haven't read this tread from 2009 take a few minutes and check it out; you won't be disappointed. Needless to say I have huge shoes to fill and will be using Jerry's building approach; "slow and steady" so that the best possible job will be done. Also I'll be "borrowing" lots of ideas from that thread in my build.

About the name for the shop. This comes from a family story from years ago. I had a Great Uncle by the name of Jay Don who was called JD for short. Besides owning a small farm, as most of my family were Farmers, he would go around fixing mechanical items for people in neighboring areas. JD, as the story goes, had an uncanny ability to fix anything mechanical. The more complex the item was the better he liked it. JD was also known to fabricate his own parts when necessary. This is where the inspiration for name of the Machine Shop came from.

So enough chatter, lets get started:

This is the first time that I have used graph paper to draw building plans on and man what a difference it made. Being that it has quarter inch squares made it so much easier to do a drawing. With the addition of a wax-paper overlay I had a square drawing in which to glue the lumber to and begin the build knowing that it would be square when finished.

So to get started I needed a base to build on so I squared up a piece of pasteboard from a cereal box, which is a cheap resource, and figured out where the track would go and still leave me enough room for everything else. Then scale 4x12's were used to make the supporting beams for the flooring. The base is a scale 36ft by 24ft which gives me an actual foot print of 9in x 6in. I wanted the size large enough for the Climax and machines but not so large that it needs a ton of detailing parts; think I've struck a balance between the two.

That's where I'm at for now. Any ideas/comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  10:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry count me in to follow this one!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Count me in as well. This looks like a great start to a well thought out project. I always start with a drawn-out drawing that makes for a great foundation. It appears you know what you're doing.

Rich

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, away we go. ~mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  06:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, nice to see you starting a new project.
I'll be following for sure.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Iíll be following along with great anticipation.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Larry, nice to see you starting a new project.
I'll be following for sure.

Maybe you should dust yours off and finish it!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm following Larry. What do you mean by "pasteboard"?

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thanks, much appreciated. Looking forward to your input. Hey nice encouragement for Rick!

Rich thank you and welcome aboard. The use of graph paper made a huge difference as opposed to just a plain piece of paper; can't believe I haven't used this before. Live and learn. Looking forward to your input as well!

Mike thank you, it's going to be fun.

Rick thank you and feel free to share any pointers since you've done one of these before.

Michael thanks, I'll try and not disappoint.

Carl thanks for following along. Pasteboard...I guess I'm showing my age here. It's an "old fashioned" term used for a brown, fairly thin cardboard used to make boxes which were "pasted" together i.e. cereal boxes. It's cheap (free) source that I use for a foundation in some of my modeling.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I am looking forward to seeing this come together.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom thank you and welcome aboard; great to have you following along.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update:

The flooring is made up of scale 2x12's glued across the support beams. The flooring goes right up to the rails which were shimmed-up slightly to be even with the flooring. The track was glued down as is; the ties will be covered with 3 or 4 scale 2x4's depending how much clearance is needed for the wheel flanges. At any rate the ties will be covered and will not be visible. Wood ties will be added under the rail outside the building. This was the reason for the cardboard base to build on. Also I'm quite pleased with the variation in coloring of the floor boards. The sides and back of the floor are even with the support beams to facilitate the sides and back walls. The front was left staggered for visual interest and the front will be left open.

This is the back wall which was made from scale 8x8's which were glued to the waxed paper with a little glue on each end. This kept everything lined up and square which made construction so much easier. The windows that I had were way too small for a building of this size so I decided to scratch my own, which is new to me. Instead of making the window to fit the wall I decided to build them in place which worked out quite well. The windows and supports are made of scale 4x4's. First the area was framed then the windows were built next inside the framing. Nothing fancy just a simple window which measure a scale 7x3.5 feet. The back wall measures a scale 36 feet long by 18 feet high which should allow the Climax to drive into the Shop. When the glue had dried it was just a matter of "popping off" the wall with the scale ruler off the waxed paper.

That's it for now and any ideas, suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  8:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking real nice, Larry. The engine will be happy spending the night in that strong structure. ~mike

Yannis
Section Hand

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  04:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice start Larry! Following with interest!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  04:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, you're off to a good start.
Just be aware that Jerry will be by later saying the floor is too clean.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy you must have been up all night sweeping!! Maybe you could borrow some dust from Rick...

Nice start Larry keep it going!

Jerry

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000