Railroad Line Forums - "Choices" Challenge: B&O Tower Kit
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 204 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 "Choices" Challenge: B&O Tower Kit
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread Topic Next Topic: Screen Door anyone? HO scale
Page: of 5

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  5:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, it's nice to see you back at work on this!
I love the look of the roof!
However that dark section below what I think is a snow guard, are you going to continue the slate roofing there?
The chimney is way better than it would have been without your improvements to it.

Greg

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  6:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike the roof look great. The H&R brick paper is very nice. I have several different color and use it a lot for foundations.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  6:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg. Iím happy that you like it.

Photos of these towers in the 1950ís and after appear to have a roll roofing below the snow guard, so thatís what I did.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  6:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mike.

I still have several sheets of the H&R brick. Iíve used it carefully although now there are good alternatives.

Mike

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
The tower is looking really good. The slate roof looks very realistic.

Scott

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  11:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Scott!

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  9:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, good to see this build back up & going again.
The slate roof looks excellent, and I do like the colour scheme.
Hope to see some more progress soon.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Haven't stopped by your shop in a while.

That tower is starting to look good. You got me wondering if I have that same kit buried in a drawer somewhere.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  08:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Rob.

Iím glad the fellow Iím building the tower for selected these colors. Itís prototypical for the period he models. Sometimes they were repainted a single color, not at all pleasing.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  09:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm back to working on the walls. Between the first and second floors is a section of fish-scale siding. The kit supplied a card material with the fish-scale shingles impressed in the card. I cut out a section following the kit instructions, then realized the instructions were incorrect.

With only just enough material provided, there was no repairing my mistake, so I ordered stick-on fish-scale material.

As a first step I added a substrate of scribed sheetwood, as shown in this in-progress photo:

Turns out that there was insufficient material supplied to do all the sections without splicing, which would have looked bad. It was serendipity that I messed up right at the beginning rather than after I had cut out and installed sections.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  09:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, despite, or pehaps because of, the challenges with this kit you have towered above them and are suceeding very nicely

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee Mike, I hope your friend didn't pay much for that kit!

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I'm sorry you had those frustrating moments. When I have them I have to remind myself that from failure comes success.
Fear of failure is one of the reasons I procrastinate on my projects.

Your modeling work is what brought me to this site and motivates me to build.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/30/2021 4:40:44 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  2:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys!

Bill, yes, I'm trying to tower above disappointment and dismay.

Carl, I don't think he did pay very much. I have a sense that I will match his cost with the substitutions I'm making.

Scott, very kind of you to say that. I did take a break this week out of concern for my ability to do this special siding, especially getting the angles right and having good clean corners.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  3:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frustrating I'm sure but the Fish scale material should give you a better finish.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread Topic Next Topic: Screen Door anyone? HO scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000