Railroad Line Forums - My WW1 2021 "So Many Choices” Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 My WW1 2021 "So Many Choices” Challenge Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: J.D.s Machine Shop Topic Next Topic: Im presenting online this Saturday 1/9/2021
Page: of 3

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will toss my hat in the ring and try to knock off as many items on this list as I can. I will focus on adding items for my WW1 layout but might regress into something logging or mining.
I will be posting some progress pictures in the main thread and final pictures in the final pictures thread and in my Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918 http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

1. Build a structure from a kit. 1 Point for ‘simple’ kit, 2 Points for ‘complex’ kit

2. Kitbash a model. The goal is that the kit should be visible in the end model, i.e. you can see "this is a bash of the kit" (as opposed to "taking all the sticks and parts and producing something that looks nothing like the kit.") "Judging criteria" fir point value will include creativity and originality of the result, as well as construction. 1 Point for simple bash, 2 Points for complex bash.

3. Build and detail a piece of rolling stock from a kit. 1 Point

4. Scratchbuild a piece of rolling stock, any era, scale/gauge, from styrene, wood, or resin. 1 Point for the basic car (including lettering/numbering), 1 Additional Point for complete undercarriage and topside detailing

5. Finish an orphaned project you started and then abandoned. 1 Point

6. Create a sketch of a structure and then scratch build it. 1 Point for simple, 2 Points for complex.

7. Repaint/Refresh an old locomotive any scale. 1 Point

8. Tackle any project on your layout: benchwork, trackwork, scenery, electrical, etc. 1 or 2 Points depending on complexity
Bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's start with Challenge #3. Build and detail a piece of rolling stock from a kit. 1 Point

It may look simple but when you see the number of parts in the kit it might change your mind quickly.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  11:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have built these kits before but never fully documented the level of torture I go through. The castings are often bent and need a lit of drilling and filing to fit correctly and for the Wagon to roll.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  12:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not- three sizes of drills needed for the first step. Cutters, files and a knife.

Cut and drill hole steps.

So far 5 drill holes, 5 parts removed and discarded, lots of filing. and I am just starting one Bogie / Truck.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 of the 12 parts needed to install the brakes to one Truck.

Edited by - BigLars on 01/02/2021 11:33:03 AM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  02:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, looks like a really fiddly process. At least you're luck it's in O scale.
But you might need to be an octopus.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Larry, looks like a really fiddly process. At least you're luck it's in O scale.
But you might need to be an octopus.

Fiddly is one way to say it. The Trucks are the same size as HO trucks.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are what the brake parts look like applied to the bogie. Both Bogies have brakes, I need to move on to the rest of the build.

Edited by - BigLars on 01/02/2021 11:31:48 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That’s beautiful work.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Larry. It looks like you've sorted out the drilling and filing.

George

Fly Army

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael and George.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  12:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is as far as I can go on the wagon until I can get home to paint the parts.

The log bunk is 6 parts and swivels freely.

The chopper coupler is 2 parts and then there is a connector for the pole are at the rear of the bogie. I will need to figure out a load for the wagon as well.

I have a few other wagon types at the beach that have different bodies but the same bogies. Would you like me to post the builds for them as well?

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  11:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry that's an impressive list your doing. Wow...tons of parts for the bogie's. Great job and nice details.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless you already have a lot of them, a load of planks or timbers for trenches and dugouts would be simple. From what I've read, trench warfare consumed an enormous amount of wood.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  5:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you very tried something simple????

Looks great

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry and Jerry.

quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Unless you already have a lot of them, a load of planks or timbers for trenches and dugouts would be simple. From what I've read, trench warfare consumed an enormous amount of wood.

The War consumed whole forests of lumber. The Canadians sent around 14,000 lumber jacks to France and England to help. They were not trained to fight, other than in a Hockey game.

As for the load. These wagons carried longer loads than "in trench" supplies as the boards were shorter in a trench, limited straight lines in the trenches.
The wagons carried things like prefabricated track, telephone poles and had special cradles that could attach to move artillery pieces. Not sure what the load will be for this wagon yet.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: J.D.s Machine Shop Topic Next Topic: Im presenting online this Saturday 1/9/2021  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000