Railroad Line Forums - Mountaineer Precision Products Barn
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 172 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Mountaineer Precision Products Barn
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: o scale bar mills hinkles package store Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Page: of 3

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: Getting off to a great start. I like the idea of leaving the barn natural. Around here almost all the barns a left to turn dark silvery gray. I almost always use a thinner material for the sub roof. Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, looking forward to seeing how your AI wash comes out. Always a nice effect for bare wood walls.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike and Rob. Making progress and dealing with some color issues on leaving the barn as weathered wood. I have some ideas rattling around in my head, so we will see.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  10:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on the goal of replacing the cardstock windows, doors and trim that the kit provided with wooden equivalents, I had a few obstacles to overcome.

First, if you look at the Rusty Stumps window trim piece, you should be able to see that it just covers the window opening, leaving little gluing surface to work with.

So, the first thing that I did was line each window opening with scale 2"x8" stripwood - simulated by the green in the photo below.

The second thing that I needed was a way to hold the actual window sash up near the trim and provide some way to glue that securely. I found a solution that I also used to hold the 'people door' up to the door frame. I found that if I glued two strips of scale 3"x"3"s flush with the back of the wall pieces, that they would hold the windows and door up to their respective frames and also provide an adequate gluing surface. Those strips are shown in yellow in the photo.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  11:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, windows and doors are in place.

Now, if I want leave the walls as 'aged wood', I have to deal with a common problem. The walls are scribed basswood sheets; the window and people door are laser cut from thin plywood, and the trim around the barn door is stripwood (basswood). All these things take the A&I stain a bit differently.

I could almost live with the variation of all three window frames looked alike, but on is strikingly different - even after hitting it with a Prismacolor marker. So, I'm thinking about ways to blend all the colors a bit better.

I might try other Prismacolor markers, or try a different type of wood stain. We will see. I'll practice on a separate wall piece.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  11:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce nice fix on the windows and doors.

Looks really good so far.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  02:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I wonder if the difference is because the piece was rotated on the parent stock. It looks like the face grain is vertical on the third window, and horizontal on the first two. You might try carefully sanding the faces with a fine sanding block, and trying the marker again.
Thayer

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That could have been the problem, Thayer.

Yesterday I tried a different fix. I put about 10 drops of Apple Barrel Burnt Umber craft paint in the bottom of a ceramic custard dish and covered it with some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. After mixing well, I wiped it over the walls using a soft cloth. The results are below.

I'm now happy with the way they look and will continue with the assembly.

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice Bruce.

Like the method of mounting the windows and door.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  8:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Success! You did an excellent job of matching everything up.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  04:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, good save on the windows. All look alike now.
Must be getting close to putting it all together.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bernd, Mike and Rob.

Rob, you are correct! The walls are glued, the floor and corner trim are in place, and the roof bracing is done. Next up will be the roof - either tar paper or wood shakes.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  8:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Bruce. Looks like you've made a few saves so far!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  8:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice saves, Bruce! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  9:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. And with robust bracing too (of course.) Excellent.

Mike

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: o scale bar mills hinkles package store Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000