Railroad Line Forums - The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 235 ]  [ Total: 240 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: T. Frisch Coal Company (Challenge Project) Topic Next Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Page: of 15

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  12:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Larry, Scott & Glen. These shingles aren't too bad, Will lift a few for some depth.
The rest I will try to vary the look a bit, so they're not so uniform.

Glen Impressed with your station. the rafters look like a lot of work, but have come up great. And plenty of nice detail to go inside.
Are the bench seats a casting. They look really crisp.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  01:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob. The benches are laser cut wood that need to be assembled

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Glen. The details are excellent.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  11:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen the Station is looking really good and the interior details will make it even better. That roof looks like it took some serious carpentry skills; nice job.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The station is looking good, Glen.

I still have to add a sign to the barn that I built as my first Challenge Project, but I have been making progress on my second Challenge project that I'm calling Kate's Kitchen after on of our Granddaughters.

The build thread can be found here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53547

The wall sections (there are two more without window/door openings) are painted and I have a first coat of paint on the castings.

Bruce

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  6:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I really like the style of windows. Nice colosr as well.
Scott

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  11:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's where I stand now. The walls are together and all the interior bracing is done.

George

Fly Army

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  10:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,
Looking good!

Scott

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  11:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to make some details to put inside before I go much further, while I still have reasonable access.
Made up some crates from balsa blocks & cardboard strip.

The original only had the large doors, (see page 1), but I want doors on all the openings. It also adds some more detail to the structure.
for all the smaller doors you won't see the backs, so I only framed one side.
The very large doors will be opened halfway so I detailed the framing on both sides.

Trial fit. Doors reversed so it appears the framing is the inside of the door.

Regards Rob

My current build.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce that's a nice start to what should be a fine looking building; the color choices fit well with the structure.

George the building is coming together nicely; keep going.

Rob the doors look really good and go well with the building. I really like the green trim. The crates are very impressive looking. I may have to borrow your idea.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  4:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like everyone is making good progress and all looks great. We finally finish our move to the new house. I'm working on getting the train room put back together. I hope the be able to come up with something for the challenge in the next week or so along with designing the new layout. Looking forward to seeing more progress on all the projects.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  12:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So to prevent my project from either getting lost in this thread or highjacking the thread I am posting my progress in http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53563

The thread includes some background posts. I know I will not get the project 100% complete. The goal for the challenge is to get trains running again.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  01:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry, The colour is Tamiya Cockpit Green.

Mike, glad you're still here. I await further progress. Always like your work.

Tom, should be great starting over. A good chance to correct anything you weren't happy with. Although you have a separate thread, you should also occasionally still post here as well. Will be following along.

Regards Rob

My current build.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  08:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ve been following and commenting in the individual threads. However, it’s fun to see all the projects posted in one place here. It’s a sort of compendium of skillful model-making: Bruce, your colors are so realistic and everything you build is neat and clean; George, your photos display the good practice of bracing structures well; and Rob, your doors are very well constructed with great detail and accurate angles.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  7:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Crew,

Well, Ah jes’ been a pluggin’ along the last few weeks on the seed house and generally makin’ some progress. After the sketch in the last post, I did some more “formal” drawings of the building with more detailed measurements and some parts templates.

That done, I started cutting out the walls using mostly 3/16” foam board plus some .040” sheet styrene. Then I tacked the pieces together, temporarily, to see if it looked right. It didn’t! There was too much of a slant on the end walls, at least to my eye, so I just redid the pieces 'til I got the right look.

Once I got the look right, it was time to start cutting all the little pieces of Campbell corrugated siding, then gluing them to the walls and roof. I’m not after a rundown look, so I tried to keep the rows as even as possible, 4’ wide on the walls, 5’ for the roof, with just a bit of variation for visual interest.

Finally, after all that cuttin’ n’ pastin,’ I assembled the walls and interior braces, and added the doors and door track. Still a few details left to add, though. Then I tacked on the roof pieces and put it in its (tentative) spot on the layout. Looks right to me.

Next up: Paint, weathering, and final assembly. Stay tuned!

Catch Y’all later.

Steve

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: T. Frisch Coal Company (Challenge Project) Topic Next Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000