Railroad Line Forums - The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 210 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit
Page: of 22

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  09:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce awesome looking bin!! Looks like you could park a Mac truck on that thing. The rest of the structure should look just as impressive.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have started my second challenge project. It is a coal dock. Here are a couple of photos.

It is on a separate thread on the main page. T. Frisch Coal Company. I haven't figured out how to add a link to it.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  5:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Mike.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  8:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link, Mike. http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53646

George

Fly Army

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  10:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work everyone. I haven't been able to check in for a few days due to back issues but I'm doing better now.
I did finish up my bridge. Adding approach bents and retaining walls for the ends.

I'm not sure if I'll start another project for this challenge. I'm thinking of starting some scenery work on the new layout instead.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  11:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Major milestone has been reached. All the foam is down.

Next: Laying Track!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  07:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, you have shown excellent craftsmanship building your bridge.

Tom, I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with your new layout.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During the second week of January I started a Challenge project under criterion 8: “Tackle any project on your layout: benchwork, trackwork, scenery, electrical, etc.” So, I've been ballasting track and in one place adding track on my home layout. I completed that project yesterday; what can I say, I'm not always a fast worker. Also, much of my model railroad energy was consumed by helping our local model railroad club move to new quarters. It struck me as a little ironic that I'd spend time at the old club location taking up track and then come home and work on my own track.

I've not been posting updates because, frankly, showing photos of ballasting in progress pales in comparison to the fine projects on display here. But I will show the results.

Here is the first section. I ballasted the track with a light-colored limestone ballast. That track represents the New York Central; the previously-ballasted track is Lehigh Valley Railroad. I did not ballast the spur because I'm undecided what exactly I'll do there.

The diamond where the NYC crosses the Lehigh Valley:

Here is the second portion of my layout that I ballasted, with a feed mill in the foreground and farm in the distance. I did touch up the missing bit of ballast after I took the photo.

And the third section, where I added a track to staging and ballasted track to about where the caboose sits.

After ballasting I cleaned the track, painted shiny bits of track such as rail joiners, and ran trains to check for any problems. Except for the spur, that completes trackwork on my layout.

Mike

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Y’all,

Been a few weeks since I posted any progress pics on the cotton seed house. Been wrapped up in a lot of 1:1 stuff. Ya know how it is. Anyways, when I left off, I had put on the base coat of SP Lettering Gray to give it that oxidized look and added a few details. So, the time has come to add some weathering, mostly rust, which some Y’all have noted will add “character” to the structure.

OK, since my goal is not to have a deteriorated look, the question becomes how much rust to apply. I started by looking at rust progression over time on the seed house from the Louisville Fertilizer & Gin complex in Louisville, GA.

The shot on the left is from 1954, and shows a bright, shiny almost new structure. Not what I want. I took the middle shot around 1979 which shows many of the panels with a light coat of rust, some with medium to heavy rust. The right photo is from 2011 and shows the structure completely rusted all over. Not what I want.

So, I began looking at how much rust to apply to a corrugated metal structure located in Swainsboro, GA in the early to mid-summer. First, I investigated the meteorological data for the region including average temperatures, precipitation, humidity, wind speed (mph), sunny days and cloudy days and snowfall, as well as tornado activity, earthquake activity and natural disasters. Then I developed a timeline for the evolution of rusticulization based on the transformational coefficient of the molecular composition of . . . AWWWW! What the Hail am I talkin’ about? Character? Ah’m a gonna rust this baby to Helengon, jes’ ain’t gonna make it look gory and defeated.

Seriously, Crew, I decided to do a rust job similar to the prototype but not exactly like it. To start, in addition to the prototype, I looked at various rust pics from my collection plus samples of earlier rust stuff I did on various structures. Then I pulled out some of my favorite rust colors including (l to r) Vallejo Rust Wash, MicroLux Roof Red, Rust and Roof Brown, plus Vallejo Rust Effects. (I used to use a lot of Polly Scale Boxcar Red, but haven’t yet found a good substitute.)

Next, I put together an experiment sheet by gluing some random panels to a piece of scrap styrene sheet and spraying it with gray primer from a rattle can. I started experimenting with different colors and blends.

When I found a color or blend I liked, I wrote it on the panel with a Sharpie and gave an A, B, C, identification. For example, color “A” is 1 part Rust and one part water; color “B” is 1 part Roof Red, 2 parts Rust, and 3 parts water, etc.

I then whipped up the different colors in clear plastic shot glasses and wrote the A, B, C on each.

To minimize any bleed from panel to panel, I used Post-It Notes to mask off the panel, burnishing the edge with a toothpick.

My favorite brush for weathering corrugated is a rake, also known as a comb or grainer. The separated bristles are perfect for getting in the corrugations, adding random streaks, or stippling dots and splotches of rust. You can see that I started practicing on the experiment sheet.

OK, so here’s where I must apologize. When I started doing the rust, I got into such a groove, I plum forgot to take pictures along the way. DUHH! So, to make it short, I started with the lightest color on random panels to represent new rust, followed by the medium color for older rust, and the roof brown color for the oldest, darkest rust. In places, I added the Vallejo Textured Rust effects. I didn’t add rust to every single panel and, as in the prototype, I didn’t add much rust under the roof lines or on the vertical parts of the ends. Finally, since the contrast between the different shades of rust can be rather stark, I went over everything with a very light A/I wash to blend everything together. And voila, here’s the result.

I think it pretty much accomplishes the effect I was looking for, well worn, rusted, but not to the point of being falling down decrepit. The Missus loves it and she’s my very most important critic. I still need some touchup here and there, add the final details, set the final location in the mill complex scene, then post the finished piece in the Finals thread.

This was a good exercise in brushing up on my rust and weathering techniques. I still have a number of corrugated structures to build including the Wadley enginehouse and the Warnock & Calhoun Wholesale Grocer building. I’ll get there eventually.

Hope you enjoy and I'll catch Y’all later.

Steve

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  10:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thanks for the nice comment. Your ballast work looks good as does your layout.

George thanks for the link.

Glen nice work on the bridge.

Tom looking forward to what you do with this.

Steve that's a lot of research on rust. Did you buy the rake or make it? I think that a great idea for doing corrugated metal. The seed house is looking great. The other two building look very interesting.

Second Project
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53646

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  11:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mike.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  06:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress on all the updated work. This is one of the best challenges.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  08:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike M, you are making terrific progress on that coal dock.

Glen, the bridge came out great. Thanks for participating in this year's challenge.

Tom, you now have a great base for you layout.

Mike H., nice job on the ballasting. Speaking of ballasting, how many 'least favorite part of the hobby' am I allowed to have?

Steve, your experiments in rusting corrugated metal siding has paid off with a great looking model!

Bruce

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  10:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikethetrainman
Steve that's a lot of research on rust. Did you buy the rake or make it? I think that a great idea for doing corrugated metal. The seed house is looking great. The other two building look very interesting.

Thanks, Mike. When you model the Deep South, you have to have a lot of corrugated buildings and they all seem to rust differently. The rake/comb/grainer brushes are available online from better art suppliers from 1/8" to 1" widths. Get the flat type, not the rounded filbert type.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  10:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen. That's a well constructed, nicely detailed bridge.

Tom, that's a thick stack of foam. You're going to have to work to drop your track feeder wires.

Mike. If you're like me, you're glad to be done with the ballasting. It looks good.

Steve, You've done a nice job of finding the right balance in your rust. It looks like an active business, not a failing operation. Good step by step description.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000