Railroad Line Forums - o scale bar mills hinkles package store
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 146 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 o scale bar mills hinkles package store
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: bar mills springfield depot Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  8:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i needed a diversion from the fish camp, and since the diorama itself is 2'x4', some other structures are in order, so i pulled this one i down off the shelf and decided that this end of the line 'town' needed a package store and a depot (more on that later). anyway, i started this last night by priming the backs of the clapboard walls, and staining the face of the clapboard with silver wood and putting the walls under a 9 lb weight over night. this morning i braced the walls and hit the clapboard with a pretty heavy dose of mineral spririts. when that was almost dry i gave the walls a coat of camel colored craft paint. i had also pregrained and stained the cornerpost masterial, and then sponge stippled the window and door parts and fascia hauser green. why? because i like it....:)

i gotta say, when i was modeling n scale i built most of the n scale offerings bar mills had at the time, and also the occasional special issues, so i was pretty familiar with their kits. this is my first o scale kit from bar mills. i really like the way art and the crew have engineered the windows and doors. i think they turn out nice.
i almost have all four walls finished. i had to stop for the night.

front walll i have some brass rod sitting in water after a bath in brass blackener i'll cut in half tomorrow and install awning supports. the hole up near the peak is for a really cool coke sign that isn't finished yet.

left side wall. i found the coke sign with google images and resized it and saved it.

back wall. the sign came with the kit.

got this image right here on this forum.

it's kinda funny...in the instructions art makes a point of saying something about the instructions not being so great (and they're not), but all the pictures will make up for it. c'mon. there's one picture.
anyway, the picture on the box (the only picture) shows rolled roofing, but there is no paper for it included in the kit. there is a wood based "corrugated", but i don't think i'll use it because it looks too delecate. i might have corrugated aluminum left over and if not i'll order some.

the castings are modest. a row of trash cans, a hydrant, us mail drop box (i broke the legs pushing it down into some putty on a detail holder so i ordered another one). i also ordered some fruit crates and i can't remember what else. i like surprises.

all in all this is a pretty cool little kit, especially for the money.
diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  10:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the color combo- who makes these colors?

camel colored craft paint
hauser green

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, looks like this will make a great addition to your fish camp diorama.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  3:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat-looking building. I like the signs. Well done.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  5:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could go for a little Jack right now!!

Great job so far Kevin!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  10:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
carl,
camel by americana
hauser green medium by folk art

gregg,
there's alot of real estate that i can't fill, so small footprint structures to fit in among the giants from sierra west

mike,
thanks

jerry,
the smell of jack daniels causes my gag refex t o kick it. can't get near the sh^t.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this kit took me three nights. i forgot to post the finished pics, so here's a few of em. the kit went together real easy. it's a real nice kit for under $50. anyway...in these pics i have some weights holding the roof down beause it was just glued on. nothing has been weathered at this point. this will be going somewhat bhind norton's on the diorama, and i think it will be facing on a street that's going up an incline.

the legs broke off the mailbox when i tried pushing it down into some holding putty (i have three more). i also have some other castings for the front sidewalk that haven't been painted yet. this is a silly place for a fire hydrant and it won't be staying there. (i have three more of them too)

for a quick little kit this is a pretty good one.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  5:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little store, Kevin.

George

Fly Army

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks nice Kevin. Quick little diversion.
Try putting some sand or similar in a ziplock bag next time to weight down your roof. It conforms to any roof shape and gives you a more even pressure where you need it.

Karl.A

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  7:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Kevin. I like the colors you used. And the front window propped open is pretty cool.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  8:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I like the red tarpaper...painted or purchased?

Previous Topic: bar mills springfield depot Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000