Railroad Line Forums - Saturday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 205 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Saturday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Friday morning lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew, readers, and lurkers. It's 41f and overcast in N.E. Indiana. The coffee urn is READY with Broadway Limited blend. The special today is a Hoosier Haystack as the Limited stops at the Fort Wayne Barr St. Station. 'All Aboard', and the Limited heads to Chicago. Ahh, those were the days!

Well, I accomplished nearly nothing yesterday. I mounted the anemometer and the rain sensor in their new locations, and reset the master station to start logging the weather. Just another distraction.

I've been mulling over how I am going to control the turntable that has been trying to get my attention for the past few months. I have a very heavy duty metal servo that could probably swing a 10lb locomotive around 360 degrees. It moves in 1.8 degree increments, so it is pretty smooth. I'll end up with an Arduino microprocessor as the controller. The issue is it remembering starting and ending positions, and doing that when the system is powered off and then back on. Might just have to have it go through a power up routine, and recalibrate the home position. Thinking cap time for sure. In the mean time we just roared through Warsaw, Indiana on 'the Limited'.

Have a Super (and safe) day!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. Itís 54F and cloudy in northern WV with rain expected. Iíll go for coffee and oatmeal.

I did a little modeling yesterday but it was frustrating; at one point my fist hovered over what I was working on as I considered smashing it. Temper temper. Then I discovered I was going about it wrong. As B. B. King sang: ďItís my own fault babyĒ.

We are planning to meet our daughter at one of the state parks, but plans can be changed. Maybe tomorrow if the forecast doesnít improve.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  08:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, Mike and the rest of the crew. It is 35 degrees under cloudy skies here in S.E. Michigan. We should get up into the low 40's later today. The forecast is calling for 1"-3" of snow for tomorrow.

I got the burlap up on the fencing around the Arborvitae trees yesterday. Also checked everything off Bonnie's to-do list.

Picking up a frozen turkey this morning and then putting the snow blower on the Kubota.

Have a great day!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew, It's in the 40's heading to the upper 60's here in Tidewater Virginia. I have a load of junk to take to the dump this morning. I'll be doing a bike ride later.

I'm working on a rerailer design for my cassettes' I'm doing a lot of styrene cutting and fitting. Luckily I picked up a bunch of surplus styrene file drawer dividers a number of years ago. It reinforces my pack rat habits.

Have a good day.
George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a good day yesterday, with some mis-starts. First I tried to cut out the hole for the new turntable using the jigsaw (NOT my favorite tool.) Then I discovered I measured it wrong! But the actual hole ran up to the edge of the (removable) piece, so I drew the new circle and went to my bandsaw. Now I can't cut a straight line with the bandsaw, but I can follow around the circle. I test-fit the turntable base, and it's a nice snug fit. So I started assembling the base (stiffener, bottom, ring rail base and the template for soldering the ring rail.) Today's task will be to put down the wood ties (yesterday I epoxied the PC Board ties for soldering the rail), sand everything smooth, and solder the ring rail. After a bunch of FastTracks turnouts, I'm pretty comfortable soldering rail to PC Board ties.

I'm taking photos, but given my problems posting them, I'm not sure if I'll run a build thread on the Kitwood Hills turntable.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  10:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like a forecast of snow to finally get the snowblower on, Bruce. Sometimes I've wish I'd waited to the last, but past experiences of doing the old one in miserable cold reappeared and I'm glad I did it nearly 3 weeks or more ago. Some of the "easy hitch" parts are a tad bit heavy and unweildy for my first time putting them on. The extra stess of knowing it was about to snow would have exacerbated the aggravation. Next year, if I can remember anything at all, it SHOULD go easier as I did figure out something I was doing to make difficult. Mount parts are REALLY heavy, 1/4" plate steel.

Spent the day chasing small dimension quarter round for an old antique, really old, it has glass with bubbles in it, store display cabinet. Finally found some 3/8" at Menards. The specialty wood store in Char-tucky didn't have any of any size, Lowe's smallest was 1/2". We stopped on the way home at the Salmon pink food truck, Pancho's, for some great tacos with rice and beans on the side. Mmmmm....his taco meat sure beats the commercial seasoning packs from the grocery store. No chili or paprika, mostly cumin as the main ingredient. Mucho gusto, but almost like Chinese take out, I was hungry later.

I have a pair of ScaleTrains.com SD40T-2 undecorated models, also really really unassembled as well. Those will be my winter challenges to work on. I have one of their marked models as a guide, thankfully. There are NO INSTRUCTIONS of any kind, zip, zero, nada. Not even an exploded diagram. MAYbe that will get me off center with my hobby stuff.

Spent a couple hours on putting photos from the UP building project onto a memory stick with end intent of making a video slide show at some time. Sure have a lot of photos. First snow up there last Fall was Nov. 7, the day Hard Rock Jake had the footings put in...first snow here in lower MI, Bruce, was 3-4 inches of wet, snowblower killing heart attack snow on Nov. 11. Took my old snowblower nearly an hour as it was constantly stalling with packed schmutz in the discharge or slipping belt. Did inspire my new Deere...didn't get to use that until well into January before we had much snow.

Time to straighten up, the Doll's daughter and son in law and electronic addicted 11 yr old going on 6 1/2 son are making a food run for us to Costco. Stores this week have been like Christmas Eve even mid day since the canceled everything again mid week. Lines at the Menard store at 2:30 yesterday were 5-6 deep, Hobby Lobby where I stopped for some Valejo paint, was a mad house. Hoarding is going on again, saw a weird one, the Meijer pharmacy was out of Metamucil, 15foot long 3 shelves...folks must fear shortage of TP so want to be sure their regular...

Everyone have a good day. Be well, safe and relaxed. 32 going to 40 or so today after 2-3 days of 60 this week.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 11/21/2020 10:13:03 AM

Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Friday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000