Railroad Line Forums - Modeling cement in plastic
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Modeling cement in plastic
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills HO REA Depot build  

towazy
New Hire

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  8:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am looking for techniques in how to make plastic look like concrete. I like the porous look casting in plaster gives and Iím looking for a way to get that look from plastic. Iím going to build a long retaining wall, in a somewhat deteriorated state. In the past Iíve built a master, made a mold,and cast in hydrocal. Then scraped and gouged to get the crumbling look. I like that look better than just painting the plastic. I could go that route again, but was hoping to find a less labor intensive way to achieve similar results by building from plastic. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Tom

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  8:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this stuff: https://www.liquitex.com/row/products/professional/gessoes-mediums-varnishes/ceramic-stucco/ Brush it on, then stipple it to remove brushstrokes. Brush it out to remove some of the roughness if you want a smoother concrete. Then mix a really small drop of olive into tan/buff/unbleached titanium and paint the concrete. I like putting a bit of dark grey chalk/pigment and brushing it to add a bit of darker coloring to the concrete.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  12:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. You haven't mentioned scale ?
Don't limit yourself to just plastic, of hydrocal.

I model mostly in styrene, But I've used MDF / melamine board with good results. Just need to get the weathering right.
See my submarine drydock here, from page 5
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52814

Also, Jason Jensen gets great results using foam core board, for a lot of his concrete bases and foundations.
https://www.youtube.com/c/JasonJensenTrains/videos

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  08:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always gotten a decent concrete look by painting styrene with a 70/30 mix of Apple Barrel Country Tan and Folk Art Pewter Gray.

Bruce

towazy
New Hire

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  1:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas!

Dave- Iím going to give the liquitex a try. From the description it sounds like itís more for a stucco effect,but worth a try nonetheless. Iím trying to achieve a smooth but porous effect that I get when I cast with hydrocal. Iíll always find a use for it if I canít achieve the look Iím going for.

Robert. The foam core might work. The paper surface might just provide enough of a porous look when painted to give the desired effect. I am also going to try using the thin foam Ive been using for road surfaces. I donít remember where I saw that idea,but I do like the look it provides for a paved road, so it might work for simulating poured concrete.

Dutchman. I am definitely going to try your formula for concrete. I am always looking for a better look for my concrete, Iím still not totally satisfied with any of the out of the bottle colors Iíve used in the past.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An example using the Liquitex product here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53254&whichpage=1 I wanted a rough concrete look underneath the coaling tower.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve had a decent start for concrete using Krylon or Rustoleum brands camo tan. Let it sit a couple days and then work with black, charcoal, tan, grimy washes to add what ever schmutz makes it look like you want. I donít think there is a wrong answer. Itís all a ball park thing, sometimes itís a homer, sometime you strike out or even get rained on but have put on the spikes and get up to bat or nothing works.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  12:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, sorry, didn't mean foam core, Just the blue foam, although the core item might work too.
Here is a bridge he built. The concrete abutments start at the 28 min mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wuRuCcUdpk

My go to colour for concrete is Tamiya Deck Tan, then some washes. But there are many choices out there.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  7:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From my master list:
Delta Ceramcoat Sandstone 02402 = Close to Aged Concrete, but more yellow
Delta Ceramcoat Mudstone 02488 = More grey than Earth, more brown than Concrete

Anna-Carin
New Hire

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anna-Carin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

One material that might be similar to hydrocal but require less work, is paperclay. You can roll it out quite thin, and glue it in place with a thin layer of white glue. It's easy to cut and shape while wet (you can smooth any joins with water), and when it's dry you can carve and paint it similar to plaster. The brand DAS has virtually no shrinking, while Creative Paperclay is said to shrink significantly.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  10:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mixing dark gray with either sandstone or mudstone works well.. The amount of dark gray applied will determine the shade. Also, Valejoo Cement mixed with the stone colors also is very realistic. One drop of Valejoo, to 4 drops of the stone color....

After some light weathering'

Best of luck with your project'..

Ted

Michael M
New Hire

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  01:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about trying Durham's Water Putty?

I use it on some of my buildings for a stucco/adobe look.

Michael M

Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad

Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills HO REA Depot build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000