Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills HO REA Depot build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: bandit ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills HO REA Depot build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Hello all. . .
Page: of 4

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I asked John Allen about buildings, he suggested they be small and tall. I have always tried to follow his ideas and look for small buildings.

One of my favorite buildings on the FS&M is the REA Depot shown here. This photo is a recent one taken by Dave Kruiswyk of George Sellios's orignal. The lower photo is of the new kit from Bar Mills Models which is patterned off of the FSM original.

Bar Mills Models offers this kit in both O scale and HO scale. I am going to build the HO version. This little building is about 5 inches wide and 3 inches deep. It is small but offers lots of opportunities for details.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Railway Express Agency used to be a common method of shipping packages. When I opened my first hobby shop in 1973, I used Railway Express for most of my shipments. I did this mainly to support them but my efforts failed and REA went out of business in 1975. Their delivery trucks were a dark green with a red sign on them. I could not find a common color of their depots so I just went with my standard colors for most of my railroad structures.

These two colors are light enough to show up in my dark train room.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  08:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stain all my wood parts with Builders In Scale Silver Wood. I brush the stain on the front of the walls, flip them over and stain the back sides.

I then use 1-2-3 weights to hold the walls flat until the stain dries completely.

I find this is a great time to look at the instructions.

Bar Mills Models instructions are some of the best in the hobby. Their drawings are detailed and very helpful.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little kit Darryl.

I'll be looking in on your progress.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  09:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along also. Always love to see how the kit's are painted, weathered and assembled.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  10:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To avoid surface rust on my blocks, I usually put wax paper between the freshly painted walls and the steel weights.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/17/2020 4:35:38 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,

Your last build with 'Jerry's Engine Shop' actually had me buy my first kit in 40 years. You should get a little kickback.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 11/17/2020 11:35:57 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool looking building. Iíll be following along.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

INSTRUCTIONS, we don't need no instructions.

It's definitely a charming little building with lots of visual goodies.

Frank

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2020 :  12:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there Darryl, hope all is well there with you.
Just wondering how you're coming along with this kit build. I've got this one on the shelf and looking to see what you do with it.
Thanks and I'll be following along
--Paul

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2020 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Paul.

I picked up a bug and have isolated myself to one corner of the living room. Great for watching TV but not for model building.

Will get back to model building in a day or so.

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl, no apologies necessary.
Take care of yourself and hope you recover quickly !!
All the best and be well,
--Paul

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,

What PaulS said!

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WISHING YOU HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY!

David Guffey

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/08/2020 :  11:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Modeling tip.

The work surfaces we all use are different. I work a lot on those self healing pads.

But my favorite work surface is the shelf material found on these little shelving units. I get mine at Lowes.

One of these units yields 4 square pads plus a couple of longer ones.

On the nice white side, I use scotch tape to hold plans in place and other such uses. On the flip side is the untreated particle board. When painting with acrylics, I put a blob of paint on the surface to work with.

I use the sponge to apply paint and when finished, I wipe off the excess paint with a tissue.

Another thing I do is keep my acrylic paints in the top drawer of my desk. I store them upside down so I can see what color I want to use.

In the above photo you can see that I used a sponge to apply the yellow acrylic paint. I left the bottom 1/2 inch or so for the green paint.

You can see on the upper piece I have placed some blue painters tape to cover the yellow paint.

I then apply the green with a sponge. When done, I remove the strips of blue tape.

I let the paint dry completely. As it dries, I paint the corner trim pieces green as well.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  05:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the paint has dried, I flip the pieces over and glue bracing on back. I like to use 1/8 inch square bracing. I buy it in bundles of 50 sticks from Northeastern.

For glue, I use Canopy Glue. I put it into these dispensers available from Amazon.com:

I do not dilute the Canopy Glue when using these little bottles. It flows easily and I can put tiny drops where I want to glue the bracing into place.

On the left in the above photo is a 1/4th inch by 1/4th inch piece of styrene. I hold it firmly against the size of the wall and then put the bracing into place on the wall, making sure it is tight against the styrene.

I hold the stripwood bracing in place while I remove the styrene strip.

I do this to all the walls and then let the glue dry completely. I use my 1 2 3 blocks to hold the walls down while the glue dries.

After all is dry, I use a ponce wheel to apply nail marks every 1/2 inch which is close to 24 inch spacing for studs. 24 inch spacing was popular in the early 1900s. Eventually, 16 inch spacing became the standard.

You do not have to apply the nail marks. I happen to like the appearance.

Sometimes I apply the nail marks before putting the bracing on the back. There is no right or wrong way to do this. I do it when it is convenient.

To make the nail marks stand out, I take a tiny brush and put the Builders In Scale Silver Wood stain in the marks.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Hello all. . .  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000