Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills HO REA Depot build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 227 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills HO REA Depot build
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Modeling cement in plastic Topic Next Topic: HRM Laser Models 25t coaling tower  

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I asked John Allen about buildings, he suggested they be small and tall. I have always tried to follow his ideas and look for small buildings.

One of my favorite buildings on the FS&M is the REA Depot shown here. This photo is a recent one taken by Dave Kruiswyk of George Sellios's orignal. The lower photo is of the new kit from Bar Mills Models which is patterned off of the FSM original.

Bar Mills Models offers this kit in both O scale and HO scale. I am going to build the HO version. This little building is about 5 inches wide and 3 inches deep. It is small but offers lots of opportunities for details.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Railway Express Agency used to be a common method of shipping packages. When I opened my first hobby shop in 1973, I used Railway Express for most of my shipments. I did this mainly to support them but my efforts failed and REA went out of business in 1975. Their delivery trucks were a dark green with a red sign on them. I could not find a common color of their depots so I just went with my standard colors for most of my railroad structures.

These two colors are light enough to show up in my dark train room.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  08:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stain all my wood parts with Builders In Scale Silver Wood. I brush the stain on the front of the walls, flip them over and stain the back sides.

I then use 1-2-3 weights to hold the walls flat until the stain dries completely.

I find this is a great time to look at the instructions.

Bar Mills Models instructions are some of the best in the hobby. Their drawings are detailed and very helpful.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little kit Darryl.

I'll be looking in on your progress.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  09:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along also. Always love to see how the kit's are painted, weathered and assembled.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  10:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To avoid surface rust on my blocks, I usually put wax paper between the freshly painted walls and the steel weights.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/17/2020 4:35:38 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,

Your last build with 'Jerry's Engine Shop' actually had me buy my first kit in 40 years. You should get a little kickback.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 11/17/2020 11:35:57 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool looking building. Iíll be following along.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

INSTRUCTIONS, we don't need no instructions.

It's definitely a charming little building with lots of visual goodies.

Frank

Previous Topic: Modeling cement in plastic Topic Next Topic: HRM Laser Models 25t coaling tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000