Railroad Line Forums - Junkyard Dog Diesel
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Junkyard Dog Diesel
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...) Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 4

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  2:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff you're doing here.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  2:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome work Dave!

philip

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been following along on this build, also. Great job!

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  11:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for stopping by Karl, Philip and Jack

Some progress even with the Holiday schedule.

I got the side safety rails bent up and installed as well as the front steps made from some angle bits.

And the steps on the back.

The rest of my modeling time has been used to draw and assemble parts for this contraption on the roof that I like the look of.

Discussion in the Diesel forum has determined that it is a cooling apparatus of some sort either for AC or oil.

I'm working on my third attempt now.

Pics to follow soon I hope.

Enjoy your day all.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave great looking critter so far. The safety railings look amazing; you certainly have a lot of patience. Keep going with the roof cooling thingy; I'm sure you'll get it sorted put soon.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  12:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just guessing I'd say the configuration on the cab is a self contained A/C unit. Doubt if engine oil cooler would be on a hot roof. It could be a simple storage area for oils and tools. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be convincing, Btw hand irons look nice!

Philip

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  6:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Discussion in the Diesel forum has determined that it is a cooling apparatus of some sort either for AC or oil.

AC? I thought it had a 4-10 air conditioner, 4 windows and 10 mph.

The front handrail came out great, the "Y" is a nice touch.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/27/2020 6:36:08 PM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  7:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys.

Frank I saw that Y bit in a prototype photo and it really clicked with me so I knew I had to add it.

Warning: Lots of pics coming here.

I battled with this for quite a while.
I used some paper thin brass sheet, and if I were to do it again I would have used thicker stock, and done the walls in 4 pieces instead of one long bit with the bends put in.

I broke it down into a few parts the main two being the large box, and the rounded part in front that the actuator bar goes into.

After my third attempt on the larger box I decided to keep it.

No real crisp lines in fact the opposite but that's what I get for using the thin stuff.

I just take comfort in the advise Frank gave earlier in the build. It's a critter...they get bent up. lol Thanks for that reminder Frank.

I didn't take pics because it wouldn't sit right until I soldered it to the roof.

So once it was on, I turned to building the bit with the radius.

Here I have the square edges bent up and am soldering the curved piece to make the complete box.

After trimming it up I set it next to the attached bit.

Bends were loose which made it too tall.

And it sat Kitty Whompas with the rest of the unit. I like saying Kitty Wompas. Don't care for it on my models though. lol

I ground the bottom left edge down until it burned my fingers and it sat close to correct, then I laid on the solder, planning to grind and buff it away until I was happy with it.

After I did that a few times, grinding and adding solder, I kept ending up with this pitted part.

Afraid of losing the whole bit, I stopped and went in with my modelers putty to smooth it out.

After I was done sweating that out, I drilled through a narrow bit of brass tube stock and slid a bit of bronze wire through, soldered and ground the ends down, then repeated that with a piece into the front and soldered the 2 wires together to form something that looks like a louver actuator.

Then soldered an etching of louvers to the top.

It's a little rough but I think I got close and I'm pretty happy with my effort.

On a side view it looks like there is a guard across the back edge to offer the unit some protection.
I'm going to work on that as well as some hand rails for the back door next.

Keep plugging along everybody!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  8:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'm just getting caught up on this build. It's going to be interesting to follow. You're doing beautiful work.

George

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  12:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave great job nice work on that soldering!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  05:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, that took a lot of work but with your patience and skills it turned out fantastic.
Railings and other details are just as good.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

That's some great metal working going on there. Looks great.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  09:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ah, nice touch - the louvers. At 60mph nobody will notice the putty.

Frank

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  09:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the great looking louver work, and the railing work as well. Fantastic looking progress Dave!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  11:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dang Dave that is looking great
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...) Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000