Railroad Line Forums - Railroad Street Buildings
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Railroad Street Buildings
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Got the bug.
Page: of 6

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  05:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, pre-weathering, is a great idea! Haven't seen this trick before.

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rob,
It's easy enough to make crackle paper siding. The process should work well with O gauge and will require experimenting with smaller scales.

David Guffey

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  8:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim,
It's an old trick that I borrowed from Troels Kirk, the master of painted siding.

David Guffey

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  8:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Knowing the caliber of work you do I really appreciate your praise.

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  8:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the others; youíre getting excellent results with the crackle finish.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave sorry I missed the Grand Opening of your NEW thread. But I'm here now to peak in on my much appreciated name sake. I'm honored.

I was in no computer oblivion for a few daze.

I like the concept. Your weathered boards turned out fantastic and they'll make terrific siding.

Did you used to do architectural drawings? I recognize the isometric drawing style.

Dave if you're interested in any 1/29 figures we can print any of these, or whatever scale you want.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/07/2020 11:32:01 AM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike

Frank - Welcome and thank you for your comments! As you can see by the responses you earned a loyal following!
I'm going to use many of your methods to detail the feed supply store.
Yes, I studied architectural drafting and used it a lot in my early work years.
Yes, I'll want to use some of the figures you show. Please email me with info on cost, are the prints single or sets, what I need to do, etc.

David Guffey

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  4:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, nice to see your work being presented here again!
Looks like your already off to a good start.

Greg Shinnie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, it's nice to be back!

David Guffey

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  9:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Dave' Great crackled walls'.. I've used it but did not get the results you have. The crackle was dry or wet? over the paint or under the paint.. Then blow dry'...? Sure came out nice'...
Those figures look pretty good too. DIdn't know Frank was making figures'...I must investigate further'...

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  10:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted,
The crackle was applied as a heavy even coat as much as possible, then blow dried. A heavy coat of acrylic paint was applied on top of the dried crackle. If you desire smaller cracks apply a thinner coat of paint. I only prepared a 1/2 sheet at a time and applied the paint to the blow dried acrylic quickly after the crackle blow drying. The paper was still warm when I applied the paint and the warm crackle coat may have helped bring out the cracks. Also found that the longer you apply heat to dry the paint the more cracks you will get.
Frank's method doesn't use a hair dryer because it shrinks the paint and causes larger cracks. I was going for the larger cracks to represent a no maintenance look to the paint!
Practice on a sheet of construction paper with a hair blower and air dry until you get the affect you're looking for.
Hope this explanation helps.

David Guffey

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  10:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks very much for the explanation. I will try your method'...As I know and can see it works very well... Even after extensive research, No one ever tried a hair dryer. SOunds like that is the key to good results...

Ted

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  07:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome siding David.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  7:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson!

David Guffey

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fabricated windows from bass wood and my stock of Rusty Stump window sash:

Walls made with foam board and attached siding are ready for assembly:

Washed a dark gray diluted acrylic at random to represent years of dirt. More dirt will be added at final stage of construction.
Didnít like the zebra look of the siding so I softened it by sponge dabbing dirty white paint on some of the gray areas. (Next time Iíll leave less gray on the crackle application)

David Guffey

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: Got the bug.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000