Railroad Line Forums - MMI K-27 minimum radius
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: bandit ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 MMI K-27 minimum radius
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Coaling facility build Topic Next Topic: First Brass Paintjob  

KMo
New Hire

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  12:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the minimum operating radius and ďlook goodĒ radius is for an MMI K-27?

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The K-28's I had worked fine on 27 inch radius.
I don't know how they looked as that stretch of track was in a tunnel. I've heard of them going as low as 24 inch radius but that required perfect track and slow speed.

Mark B.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  4:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can tell you that the K-36 and K-37 run very smoothly through minimum 24". The Locomotives claim to run fine through 18" radius, but for looks and better performance I suggest no less than 24" if you have the space. Like Mark suggest, the 27" is even better!
Black stone models are fine with the 18" radius! If you are planning to use anything other than the Blackstone locos you have to increase the radius to at least 22" to 24".

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  8:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe the Blackstone are HO scale and MMI are O scale.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/29/2020 :  11:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark B

I believe the Blackstone are HO scale and MMI are O scale.

Yes Blackstone is HO, but where he is in HOn30 Forum, I don't see why he'd be asking about "O" Scale???

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2020 :  10:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MMI built both On3 and HOn3 K-27s.

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

KMo
New Hire

Posted - 11/01/2020 :  12:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I shouldíve been more specific. Iím modeling in HOn3. When Iíve checked on line for this info, I always get a lot of On3 information. I donít know if people modeling HOn3 didnít have issues or what. But Iíve got an MMI K-27 and Iím making final adjustments on layout plans. Itís going to be a shelf layout in an extra bed room (11í x 12í). I was hoping 20Ē or 22Ē radius would work. If it wonít, Iíll need to do some redesigning and loose an element I was hoping to keep. Iíve got a Blackstone C-19 and a K-27 and I know they will be fine. I was hoping to be able to use 20Ē or 22Ē with the MMI loco but couldnít find any documentation on it.

Hawghead
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  10:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KMo,

I haven't tested mine on other than straight track, but my layout plan is based on a 20" minimum radius. I used 20" rather than 18" to give a little leeway for some of the non-Blackstone engines I have like the MMI K-27. Please let me know the results if you test yours on 20" radius.

Thanks,
Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

Previous Topic: Coaling facility build Topic Next Topic: First Brass Paintjob  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000