Railroad Line Forums - Tuesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Tuesday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wednesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Monday morning  lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  07:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew, readers, and lurkers. 42f and clear as a bell after thunderstorms over night in N.E.Indiana. The coffee urn has just signaled Ready with MOW blend. The special biscuits and gravy. Other beverages and the oatmeal pot at the end of the serving line.

I'm a little stiff and sore from the stone refresh yesterday. Feels like a good day to eat Kale and do some yoga, or not.

I did draw and make the 'best guess' version of the station house last night. I had trouble with my old digital caliper, and was offered a new one for an upcoming birthday. So I went screen shopping last night for a 'good' replacement on Amazon. I was reading the reviews on one of the Mitutoyo models and it was getting hammered with reviews. Apparently many counterfeit Chinesium models in the pipeline. I guess I'll go to the local tool and die supply shop and check out what they have.

Stay safe and have a Super day!

Jim
Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ringing in the ears this morning from the bell sounding from Indiana, as weíve a duplicate of nice looking weather this morning 45 going to 65. There is a light, low haze layer from the ground to 10-15 feet and cloudless sky. We had late afternoon storm from most likely the same line that Jim mentions. I had a trip to town to make and drove thru some really hard rain that was ripping the leaves from the trees that looked like a snow fall of leaves, Iím sure that a whole lot of our color has be ripped from the branches of trees and await disposal. The whole back yard was covered with scattered leaves from the wood line to the back.

After it warms a bit Iíll probably get outside and take care of a couple of winter prep items today. Little was accomplished yesterday.

Everyone have a good day. Be safe and well.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Jim, Karl and the rest of the Crew. 42 right now was 36f an hour ago. Possible rain later. Supposedly 68f this afternoon.

Got back in late yesterday from our weekend trip up to West Michigan. Had a lot of fun with both our sons, but good to be home in our own house. Chris's condo is still being worked on from the water heater blowup. Flooded a good part of the basement level and damaged the bathroom down there quite a bit. Of course that's where our bedroom was so in the middle of the night, yep I'm old, I had to walk across cold bar concrete floors, up the stairs to use the bathroom up there. Not fun. [grin]

Did happen to pickup a good buy on a used rack mount server computer with dual processors and fully populated memory for $60 at the college surplus store. New it would be a few thousand for the same computer.

Had a stack of orders ready when we got home so we'll be busy for a few days with those. Everyone have a FUN and DRY day in the Train Yard.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  08:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's this really strange weather event in SE NH: Wetness is coming from the sky. We haven't seen this for months. Today the paper-person delivered the wrong paper. There are no comics in the Wall St Journal, so what good is that?

I might get down to the train room today. Fortunately, I don't have to take the test in my geology class (I'm just auditing), otherwise I'd spend the full day studying.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  08:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from a foggy Tidewater Virginia. We're below minimums, so I'll be waiting a while before I go for my bike ride.

I've been working on the backdrop for my switching layout. I'm at a work stoppage till I run to Home Depot for some more lumber.

Have a good day.
George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  08:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Good morning from a foggy Tidewater Virginia. We're below minimums, so I'll be waiting a while before I go for my bike ride.

I've been working on the backdrop for my switching layout. I'm at a work stoppage till I run to Home Depot for some more lumber.

Have a good day.
George

Sounds like handlaying those beautiful turnouts was the easiest part of this project.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. It is sunny and in the mid-40's here in S.E. Michigan, with a projected high temp in the mid-60's. That front you mentioned reached us around 6:30 pm last evening. Some rain and some wind and then cooler temperatures.

I had a good outing at the pistol range yesterday. The young lady in the lane next to me was the same one that had been in the next lane at the rifle range a few weeks ago. We continued our conversation.

A trip to Tractor Supply this morning and some yard work this afternoon are in the plans.

Have a great day!

Bruce

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Crew from the clear skies of So. Central Wisconsin. Our rain yesterday stopped yesterday around 3 and it has been clear skies since. It was heading east and must have grazed the Michigan and Indiana sections of the forum. Today, the rest of the outdoor furniture will be stored.

The grandson and I put the track down on the slot car frame. No router this time. I have not used plastic track since I was 13. Put down just 2 lanes instead of the normal 3 as 6 cars can still be run on the digital track. The LHS had a digital set he was so glad to sell and the additional track closed out the Carrera line of track for him. I designed the system that if I decide to add more lanes, I can buy the fitting curves. The grandson put in a lot of effort to install and help me. It was fun and then we plugged the system in and raced. Finished up his next class did that class homework and we raced again after dinner. No scenery, no pit track or buildings yet. This is not a rush project and since Brooks is taking some ownership it will take longer but might be the best thing.

Thanks Jim for opening but I will skip my motherís favorite breakfast. Karl, the leaves blowing around are great if they end up next door. Walt, glad you are happy back in business. Dave, why not take the test just for self satisfaction. You are doing everything else in class or doesnít auditing allow test taking. George, our temperature minimums are 50f degrees and less then 12 mph winds, I am ok at lower temperatures but the spousal unit rules the walks.

Have a great day.
TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomO, she's releasing the test tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to look at it and evaluate how well I could have done. Next best thing! Last year, when there was another senior in the class also auditing, we'd take the test and then 'grade' each other's results. Once we found a problem on the test, pointed it out to the prof, who then fixed it for the rest of the students.

dave

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  10:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

It is 57 and chilly but no rain. High is supposed to be 66 with a chance of rain.

Electrician just left. He was scheduled for yesterday but didnít come due to the rain. Came today and replaced the GFIís. Found out the old ones were not outdoor units and that is why they stopped functioning. Also, the one in the front was a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp line. Everything is working now except for the fishpond filter. I think the old GFI may have damaged it and now I will have to replace the pump.

Weekend and yesterday were nuts. Had to do a lot of unplanned running around. I only got one boxcar weathered over the weekend, but I did run some trains. I weathered three boxcars yesterday.

More boxcars to weather this evening if all goes according to plan.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, crew. We had rain overnight but today looks cloudy but dry, high in the 60ís. In a few hours we are off to Mill Creek,WV for a short visit with daughter. We will hit the road as soon as we receive our weekly veggie delivery and a couple packages in the mail. Itís largely interstate but the last half hour is on country roads, including ďBack RoadĒ.

Have a nice day everyone!

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  11:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Code these days tends to require AFGIs rather than GFGIs. The problem is that devices with relays will cause the kind of arc faults and trip the breaker. Plus I've been told those breakers tend to get more sensitive over time. So for the outlet that controls our stove, I replaced the AFGI with a GFGI, because the AFGI kept on being triggered every time we turned the oven on. As a homeowner, I'm allowed to do that :-)

dave

DWARN
Section Hand

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  1:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Check out the Starrett line of calipers through McMaster - reasonably priced and stands up to the beatings we put them through.
Doug

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Doug, I'll check it out. Bet the shop is pretty busy this time of the year. Next season comes faster and faster.

Jim

Take the red pill

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  3:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon all, from the 'rain, rain, please stay a day?' NH seacoast. It didn't really start till about dawn, if it keeps on till midnight we might get a quarter of the rainfall deficit we've built since August.

At the hardware store this morning I got some bits for the layout and some bits for a crane job coming up next week at the Museum. Mow time to demonstrate my grandmother's wringer washer to the family, as I don't really dare to run a load off the house well until this rain has time to soak in.

Dave, in NH you're allowed to wire your own house (but not rental properties). I can still remember my mother telling the hardware store employee we were getting parts for an electrician. I was careful not to say the electrician was her, with her trusty Sears 'Simplified Electric Wiring Handbook' handy.

Previous Topic: Wednesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Monday morning  lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000