Railroad Line Forums - Friday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Friday morning lounge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saturday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge
Page: of 2

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew, readers, and lurkers! It is 45f heading to 80f in N.E. Indiana. The coffee urn is READY with Engine House blend today. The special is cheese omelet with Texas toast, grits, and smokie links. All other beverages and the oatmeal pot at the end of the line.

I took a ride up to the 3D printer company yesterday afternoon, and they are doing great. A look at the latest innovations in that world are eye popping.

Today I'm rebuilding the computer that was wacked by the lightning strike which is the 'C' for the CNC mill, out in the shop. The controller program won't run on anything newer than Windows XP and that has been a show stopper. So finding old parts that are still good has been a headache. Then recalibrating and tuning the servos has always been tedious. I'll probably be using some old nautical language out in the shop later. If I have to give myself a 'timeout', the station build is waiting for some attention.

Have a Super day!

Jim

Take the red pill

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

It is a chilly 49 at the moment. Going up to 70.

I am annoyed about contractors. I waited around all day yesterday for an electrician to show up. Both our outside GFI outlets are not working. The guy never showed up as scheduled. He did not call or text. I called and texted him several times and got no replies. I did not realize these guys are doing so well that they can just ghost potential customers. I will be giving him a bad rating on the website I found him on.

No modeling yesterday. I did look over the pile and pick out the next group of cars for weathering.

More weathering and hopefully running trains today. I do have to run out to the grocery store and grab a few things.

I hope everybody has a good day.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. It sounds like the 3D printing technology is rapidly moving and a challenge to stay on top of.

I have a pile of branches to load into the pickup and take to the dump this morning. More yard work this afternoon. Hopefully I'll spend some time on the switching layout.

Have a good day.
George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday, Dutchman!

Given the care Microsoft takes for backwards compatibility, I'm surprised you have an app that won't run on more recent Windows. That's usually a sign of really bad coding, in my experience.

Today I might add decals to my Westerfield PRR boxcar. I used a new paint on this, and wasn't all that happy with the results. Too much splattering, even after thinning, changing pressure and trying a different airbrush...

Last night I applied some Future to the sides and ends, so it should be ready for decals today. I don't like doing decals, but they do finish the car :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning!

My calves hurt today because I was up and down a ladder washing hard to reach windows on the front of the house. They are on a part of the house that has a very shallow roof, which occasionally leaks. My wife took down the curtains so they wouldnít get stained. Iíve been wondering who I could get to do such a small roofing job, wishing I had the number for the roofer our general contractor hired last year. Meanwhile the lower sun coming through the windows showed how much they needed to be washed. One of the times I was off the ladder a truck rolled by and then stopped, the driver leaned out and said he was the roofer who did the addition last year. Serendipity. So I arranged for him to stop by tomorrow. As I told my wife, living in a small city can be a wonderful thing.

Iíll probably wash the windows facing our patio today; they donít require a ladder.

Have a nice day.

Mike

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from balmy Wisconsin. The weather guessers are saying 80+ today and wind gusts at 30+.

Mike, sorry but get off the ladder. Great luck with the roofer.

Dave D, great looking piece of rolling stock.

George, tree branches are not a fun time.

TomPM, contractors like that are what causes issues for the good ones.

Jim, thanks as always for getting our days moving along. Is the CNC worth all the time you are putting into it? You need to change your handle to Renaissance Man. Your interest levels, knowledge and examples of those skills are just so impressive.

Bruce, per Dave itís your birthday. Happy birthday. I re-watched another of your tube videos this one on painting brick. You really should get back to doing more videos. Your educational background definitely comes out in your videos. Very thorough very concise and most importantly to me, calmness.

Karl, when you get here. Looking forward to more pictures of ďup nortĒ.

TomO

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. Thank you, Dave & Tom. It is indeed my 74th birthday today. I think that I will celebrate by mowing the lawn.

It sounds like Mike and I are working from the same 'to do list'. We have 5 windows that need the bottom half of my 24' extension ladder to reach. I took care of that chore yesterday. And yes, my legs were weary. Any remaining windows can be reached by standing on either the deck or the ground.

Have a great day!

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Bruce, per Dave itís your birthday. Happy birthday. I re-watched another of your tube videos this one on painting brick. You really should get back to doing more videos. Your educational background definitely comes out in your videos. Very thorough very concise and most importantly to me, calmness.

Tom, I will do more videos as I build my layout. On that front, our son is coming over tomorrow for my birthday and I asked him to bring his stud finder with him. I want to locate the studs on one basement wall that I want to attach my layout to. I can see that work progressing soon thereafter.

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Happy Birthday, Dutchman!

Given the care Microsoft takes for backwards compatibility, I'm surprised you have an app that won't run on more recent Windows. That's usually a sign of really bad coding, in my experience.

dave

Happy birthday Bruce!

Dave, I'm guessing that you have little or no experience is writing device driver level software for servo controller machine lanquage hardware. But, I may be wrong. It is a very old system.

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  10:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't done device drivers, but I know on Unix, at least, that's a fairly narrow interface with the operating system. I'd expect something like this to look like a serial device to the OS, with the device-specific stuff embedded inside the serial stream. Microsoft has invested heavily in things like model checking for device driver verification.

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!!

53, headed for 75 and sunny ( ) here in the northern mitten today.

Happy Birthday, Bruce!!! If things are on time, there should be a reefer full of various kinds of ice cream and another with cakes arriving on the 12:15 today. Need to muster a working party to unload it for Bruce's party this afternoon....

More Friday Fun today... while all y'all are chompin' on party stuff I'll be at the dentist, who will take his torque wrench to check the mounting for an implant he put in months ago. That should go well and quickly, but I'll be a bit late to the party. Go ahead and start on time. On-Time departures are important....

And with any luck, I can get at the soldering iron again and finish up a turnout I started the other day. Life hs a way of intervening....

Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bruce enjoy your day!!

Mark

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Well, I haven't done device drivers, but I know on Unix, at least, that's a fairly narrow interface with the operating system. I'd expect something like this to look like a serial device to the OS, with the device-specific stuff embedded inside the serial stream. Microsoft has invested heavily in things like model checking for device driver verification.

dave

It's not a 'device driver', but machine language code talking through the 'parallel' port interface. DOS emulation.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 10/09/2020 11:54:09 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  12:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, I go back to my original position. Printer parallel interface is pretty stable... :-(

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

A Happy Birthday to you Bruce!!!

Be careful on those ladders!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Bruce! Many more!!

Rich

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Saturday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000