Railroad Line Forums - Got the bug.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 210 ]  [ Total: 210 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Got the bug.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 7

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  7:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would have taken quite a while to make them by hand, so you're probably ahead overall.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  8:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jim, you sure have mastered and come a very long way since your first projects in printing. My hat is off to you for demonstrating it's never too late to learn new tricks... Excellent job on this one'..

Ted

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  12:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

It would have taken quite a while to make them by hand, so you're probably ahead overall.

Yes, definitely ahead, and made by hand, controlling the mouse.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  12:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Wow Jim, you sure have mastered and come a very long way since your first projects in printing. My hat is off to you for demonstrating it's never too late to learn new tricks... Excellent job on this one'..

Thanks Ted, I'm still learning the 'tricks of the trade' in the whole process, but it does keep me with an occasional 'splinter' from scratching my head.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update on progress. I assembled partial pieces of the station to get something tangible to work with. The roof is going to be OK and the fit seems to lay on the support points just fine. The roof looks green in the photo, color balance issue. It's bright white until I start shingling it. The front door is still on the drawing screen, and am trying to print the six panel door and frame together. Think I might have to rethink that approach. The vertical lats came out fairly good, and there's a lot of trim work to draw and print.

Hoping to get some more info at the Town History Center in a little while.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 10/10/2020 10:54:39 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  11:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of heavy design work there. Looks good, Jim.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  4:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Jim.

B

WWG1WGA

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  6:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the proportions.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the + comments, George, Bernd, and Carl. I brought the model to the History Center and they couldn't believe the progress in a week, I was embarrassed that I wasn't further along. Even better was a clearer shot of the front quarter. We were able to see that the panelwork above the vertical lats was covered with fishscale siding. I ordered that just a little while ago. The cleaner photo leads me to believe that the station was much lighter in color at the turn of the century. Carl, even if they produce a competent witness, it ain't gonna be yellow! The gal who was our old family doctor's 'Nurse Practitioner' is one of the main people at the History Center. She has got 'the bug' on this build, and is calling up the 'oldies' to shake them down for more info. With a town population of less than 2000, she probably has them on speed dial. I showed them the telegrapher at the Western Union office and they hadn't noticed that before. Now they're going to attempt to find out who that was. Fun stuff.

I corrected an error I caught this afternoon. I forgot to put the freight door in. It's where it needs to be.

If you want to see the shenanigans that once happened in Churubusco, Indiana, Google it and Oscar. I moved from Chicago to 'Suburban Busco' 43 years ago, and never looked back.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2020 :  11:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been over a week without an update on this one. I made a trip to the History Center on Saturday to see if the folks had made any discovery as to the color. One of the old timers thought it was a log cabin.A couple of others said the color was wood. So not a lot of help there. I did look at the pictures and made a mistake. The picture of the station with the hunters going to Maine was a photo of the first station that burnt. That was why as I started l looking to put the freight door in place, as seen in the other photos, the proportions were all wrong. The rebuilt station had eliminated the windows to the right of the atrium completely. So I ripped the right front panel work out, and rebuilt the last known version. I went back and redrew and reprinted the parts to make it into version 2. Thefront door is still gaining some embellishments. The shingles arrives late Saturday, and I'll start gluing them down. The trim work on the atrium is slowly coming along.

Now gluing those shingles in place has me muttering to myself.

Jim

Take the red pill

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  12:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim that's really looking good!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  07:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  08:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry and Carl,

Thanks for checking it out. The shingles I ordered are gray, and won't look good on top of the brown tones that the walls will be. I've some brown India ink, and will test A & I as a fix.

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Your build is looking great! Nice work!

David Guffey

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  12:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Just WOW!!!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000