Railroad Line Forums - Got the bug.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 219 ]  [ Total: 222 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Got the bug.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 7

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  10:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No! Not thee bug! The build bug.

Jim
Take the red pill

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Give me some!

Philip

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for it!

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Town History Center that opened about 10 years ago, last Saturday. It's only open on Saturday's between 9 am and 1 pm. "Town" is about 4-1/2 miles North of me. So even after 43 years here, not much of a 'towny'. However the train tracks that once were at my Eastern border ran into the town. When we first got here, I asked around if anyone had knowledge or photos of the train. Nada, no, nuthin', zip. All I got was the story on how the once self proclaimed onion capital of the world was here until the disease killed that business. Then the Mint farming ended because of wilt. So the farmers were relegated to corn or soybeans, with hay and wheat straw as an alternative. Pretty much an agrarian area then, and now. And, I love it! I still crack up when I see dual axle 8 wheel tractors pull into the gas station, or park outside the restaurant.

So here is what I found. It is a picture taken in 1948 of the railroad station built in 1891, and demolished in 1952. The Pennsylvania had taken over the railroad that hat multiple owners including the Toledo and Logansport, the Eel River and Logansport, Vandalia, the Nickel Plate, and probably others. The abandoned rails were ripped out in 1952.

The photo was taken by Harvey Lehman the Fireman on a 2-8-0 Eastbound toward Toledo, Ohio.

There was also a hand drawn 'blueprint' that was very inaccurate in all aspects. It could not match up to the photograph. So, that is my starting point.

Step one was attempting to calculate actual dimensions of what was on the photograph. The building itself was supposed to measure 22' wide and 63' long with 8' overhangs on all sides of the building. Hope you noticed the gravel sidewalk to the main entrance.

Here is first part made. [

br]
More later.

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  12:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to be a interesting structure build Jim. Glad in this case you have the BUG!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mask up! Don't want to get put in lockdown....cough, cough

is watching...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/29/2020 1:14:39 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  1:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the build!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be following along, Jim. It looks like a nice station to construct.

Rich

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  2:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love station builds and stations. There are none on my line but of course there was no passenger traffic in 2015 Central Wisconsin.

TomO

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  4:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíll be following along, Jim. Itís an engaging structure with its interesting architectural details.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  7:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim- I must have passed the Station/depot virus on to you .....I'll take a seat.

Edited by - Carl B on 09/29/2020 7:31:10 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  7:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, it's going to be interesting to see how you sort this one out.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  8:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking in, Philip, George, Lou, Karl, Jerry, Rich, TomO, Mike, and the 'Station Master' Carl.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  8:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were two dimensions on the hand drawn blueprint that were believable. 22' wide, and 63' long and then the overhangs. With the 22' width, I counted out the vertical boards which numbered 16. Then measured 3 of the vertical boards at the same width of each window. I ended up with a total of 22. The vertcal boards must then be 1 X 12's to equal the total width. HO scale 1'= 3.5mm.I do almost my work in mm's now. So part number two was to make the vertical boards. I left .1 mm between the 1 X 12's as another check part to figure out some of what I was seeing.

Here are the panels I drew and printed for the 1 X 12's.

With that as an anchor point, I could confidently assume (I know) ) that the trim board around the 36" wide windows, were 1 X 6's. I could also guesstimate the window height and total height. I tried this piece as my believablity test. I think I need to add a little more height between the window opening top and roof.

Lens distortion..those sides are parallel.

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh wow another scratch build thread. I'll be following along. Talk about getting an education in scratch building on this forum.

I like the title "Got the bug." Ya you did. What caught my eye is the VW Split window Beatle (Bug). Had to be a '48 VW. Probably was brought over from Germany since I don't believe they had dealers over here yet.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 09/30/2020 08:34:13 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

The proportions of that wall look spot on. Youíre off to a good start.

Mike

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000