Railroad Line Forums - CNR Blackwater division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 CNR Blackwater division
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Layout Lighting
Page: of 3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  07:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Solid decking will make it very rigid in the horizontal plane, but you'll want angle braces on the legs near your gate. You said earlier you won't attach to the walls; can you attach at least those legs to the floor?

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  10:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Philip

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2020 :  8:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress!!
I've almost finished off the benchwork

This morning I added the stringers to the framework, making it much more stable. I also started to add some leg braces but the still didn't keep everything form shifting. It was at that time that I decided to 'cheat' a bit and anchored the benchwork into the walls with some 2 1/2" screws. Now I'm happy with the results.

A friend came over this afternoon and we cut the mainline and branchline roadbed curves out of 1/2" plywood. My friend just went through the same process that I am so he had a nice trammel that we used to mark out the curves. We also marked the track centerline which will make tracklaying easier.

The 30" radius for the mainline.

And this pile is the 30" radius for the branchline to the stamp mill and logging area. I'll be piecing this together in a way that it will run outside the mainline on a grade.
We managed to get all the curves cut out of one 4X8 sheet of plywood with some left over.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  01:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Glen. Plans on paper are helpful, but actual benchwork really gives the feel for how it will all look. Impressive.
Nice big curves, should help avoid bad running.
Also nice that you have friends to help out.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  09:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Itís all looking good. I like the broad curves. Youíre doing a nice neat job on everything.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  9:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob and Mike.
I've got about 1/2 of the roadbed and top surface in now:

I started with figuring out the position for the 24" curve and tacked that in, then added the light colored piece of plywood. I got some extra plywood from work, Birch Plywood from Russia. It's a very high quality plywood that is very clean and rot-resistant.

I then added the decking to the future larger city section. I used a full-length piece of fir plywood here to add rigidity to the table top. After adding the decking to this piece and the pervious shown section, the layout is fairly firm now.

I then figured out the 30" curve on the opposite end and I've started to piece together the branchline to the stamp mill. You can see where I have temporarily placed a bridge on the branchline, I plan to add a river/creek running across the layout in this area so I'll be adding a bridge to the mainline as well. The branchline sections are marked to be cut and placed, I just haven't gotten that far quite yet. I also have to figure out the grade that I'll be using for that line as well.

And with the decking installed I started to lay out some of my turnouts for the branchline and future passing siding. But first, I have to lay the roadbed for the other side to complete the loop and finish off the line to the mill.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  08:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you going to reach in to where that bridge is to clean track and what have you?

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  7:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did check that when I had both the tape down on the floor and the benchwork built. I can reach the 3 1/2' from the aisle to the wall. It helps when you are 6'9" tall. I'll probably do the scenery from the back-forward so I won't be leaning on anything finished. I'm also thinking of keeping the far corner open, or a lift-out so I can get into that area later.

I did some planning for the stamp mill:

I lined up the mill where I wanted it on one of the plywood pieces that I have, as well as two tracks. This time I'm going to have a separate siding for the stamp mill while the line continues past to the logging camp. The mill and two tracks are 16" away from the wall. Keep in mind that they will be 4" higher than they are now.

Then I laid some more of the plywood and tack down to get an idea of the room I'll be working with. The turnouts will be for a passing siding and a future siding to my sawmill.

Then I penciled in some track lines and elevation cuts in to see what it will look like.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 10/25/2020 7:19:04 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  7:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My favourite part is when the track starts going down.

Looking good so far, keep it up!

-Cody

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  12:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen really like that Stamp Mill.

Is there a interior?

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cody and Jerry.
Jerry, the stamp mill is scratchbuilt from plans that I got from a friend. It has a foam board structure for strength with Board and Batten laminated over it. I didn't add an interior to it.
I built it for one of the challenges on this forum a few years ago.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  08:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,
Off to a great start. I really like the masking tape trick. Good luck

John

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: Layout Lighting  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000