Railroad Line Forums - The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Page: of 7

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  01:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a build Greg! I have trouble keeping up with the forum and today I found this.
I just marvel at your craftsmanship, I wouldn't have dared tackle a wooden block model like that!

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Thanks for the additional photos of your engine facilities. It’s nicely detailed. I like the coaling station and might adapt your ideas.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg that boat looks awesome; that has to take a lot of patience besides talent. Your railroad looks really nice and love all the details.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  1:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Huron Brave is looking fantastic, Greg!

You're certainly taking it to the next level!.

I really like the kit-bash of the Fountain Brewery in the background, too. The extensions at each end really give it a different feel. I'm working on this kit myself at the moment.

Cheers, Mark.

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, Hakan, Michael, Larry & Mark,
Thanks for the comments and queries.
In regards to the boat, I enjoy a challenge and this is a challenge to make it come up to the level of detail that I am nursing in my wee little mind. Even when completed, I find myself critiquing little things that should have been done better, what can I say, It's a sickness

Mark, here is a better shot of the brewery that was converted to the Red Top Creamery. Since the rear of the building was going to be "un-viewable" to anyone operating the layout, I drafted the rear walls to do duty where they could be put to work.

Well, the crews at the dry dock have been busy with their tools, cutting wood and hammering iron. You may notice that the brass hand rail stanchions on the aft upper deck are in place, the water tanks have been fabricated and the rest of the decking placed. Also, if you look forward you can catch a glimpse of the gangway from the pilot deck.

Here's a closer look at the stack and air funnels to the engine/ boiler room. The stack was fabricated from styrene shaped around a wooden dowel. The rivet detail was impressed in the styrene sheet prior to assembly. The whistle and blow off were made from brass.
The air funnels were a bit more involved, styrene, washers, a lot of filler putty, a few sanding sticks and a lot of dust.
Ahead of the funnels is the as yet to be finished, coal bunker.

Most of the components are just about complete at this stage of the build, next will be some post launch "nearly finished" shots. Prior to her final fitting out and sea trials.

'Til then,
stay safe

Greg R.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I saw the photo of your layout in Jim Zinser’s “Division Business Car” in the December NMRA Magazine. Congratulations. It looks great.

The house near the back has caught my interest. Is it scratchbuilt?

Mike

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  8:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, love your fleet of steam ships. Your sailboats have lovely lines, your eye is very good. looking forward for more.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/25/2020 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks, the house I think you are referring to in the picture was indeed scratched. I ran across a B&W photo of it in the rear of an old Mainline Modeler mag advertisement. It has just too much character to pass up.

Phil, thanks for the kind words. We're not quite finished with the boats yet, but I think folks were getting "all boated out". Therefore we took a side track with some different scenery.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Greg R.

I provided a link to the article that Michael was referring to below.
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/sr202012-gregrichbonus.pdf

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2020 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The shipyard has been very busy.

Frank

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000