Railroad Line Forums - The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 236 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Replacing couplers on Bachmann bobber?
Page: of 5

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  08:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím completely daft. I somehow missed looking at this thread and here where the photos.
Thanks Greg! They look fantastic! Will pour over them tonight

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

can't have a layout without water! nice work!

Philip

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  9:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work Greg! I just love the Oliver with the detailed rigging and the crew sitting on the railing.
Iím amazed that you made it from scratch shaping the hull from a piece of wood. What did you use for the wooden blocks in the rigging? Where they also scratchbuilt or did you buy those? And what did you use for material to make the sails? It looks very convincing.

Sorry for the many questions

The other vessels looks fantastic too! But sails just have a special place in my heart.

HŚkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/21/2020 9:30:22 PM

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  7:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, Phil & Hakan,
Many Thanks.
As for the sails and blocks on the Oliver.
The sails are made from Strathmore watercolor artist's paper. I cut it to size, wet it and finger formed it to conform to a pre-made Stryrofoam form. The form is shaped and sanded to give a pleasing bow shape to the sail(s).
I then applied weight on the wetted paper and allowed it to dry.
When dry, it retained its shape. It was then colored using a light wash of watercolors and the penciled seam-lines added. I suppose, in rethinking this procedure, I could have colored it and added the seam lines prior to forming the sails.
The wooden blocks were purchased at my local hobby shop. I have been collecting them whenever I run across blocks for quite a while now.
I hope this helps.

I have another, larger 3 masted Great Lakes schooner that is going to need sails and rigging. I have seen some videos on using Silk Span for the sails, and will probably give it a try.

I have attached a picture of another of my "kids" this is a model of the H.J Davis, a great lakes fish tug. It was also built from a picture.

Greg R.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  9:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have a fabulous collection of watercraft, fine work indeed!

-Cody

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  9:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

You have a fabulous collection of watercraft, fine work indeed!

-Cody

What Cody said!

Pete
in Michigan

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  10:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable and realistic looking boats. As a matter fact everything in the photos is awesome.

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/24/2020 :  8:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,Pete & Tom,
Thanks so much.
It may be time for another introduction.
I would like to introduce, for those who have not met, the car ferry, Hercules.

Due to space concerns, the vessel was selectively compressed to allow it to be included in my railroad. Part of the footprint of the facility handling
the Hercules is the the slip, but another even larger piece of real estate is the storage tracks for the cars going on and off the vessel.
The Hercules was modeled after car ferries that carried rail traffic across the Detroit & ST. Clair rivers from the U.S. to Canada
primarily in the late 19th and early 20th century.

I have included a picture of Hercules bigger brother, the Detroit. If you study the Detroit,
you may notice some ? passenger car roofs? sandwiched between the stock cars. I hope those smelly stock cars were empty.
As my father used to say while driving past a farmyard to the kid in the back seat with the window open, smell that "Fresh country air".

As you can see from the pictures the Herc transports both freight cars and Mail/ Passengers.

Greg R.

PS Let me know if we have "over boated".

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2020 :  8:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Fresh country air" indeed! My Dad used to say the same thing!

Very nice job on the H. J. Davis sail. As to going overboard on boats, no worries from here. As I mentioned in a PM, I'm basically "schooner trash" and have been for over thirty years, so....

One thing that does bug me, as long as the subject is here, is the idea that we have nothing to learn from other modeling communities such as aircraft, boats, armor, and so on. We have things to teach them and they have things to teach us. It's all good, but in the long run, we "win" because we can use what we build to have fun in all sorts of interesting ways, while they're pretty much limited to looking at their creations on shelves....

Very nicely done all around!

Stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 09/24/2020 8:45:01 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  12:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Greg. A fine collection you have created there.

Cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  08:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling. The color on the sail is great.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/25/2020 08:45:14 AM

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

WOW, what beautiful model work! Some of my favorite subjects combined in one form. Sailboats, scratch building, and model railroads!
Love the details!

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, is right!!! Wonderful!!!

Horton M.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  4:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Fantastic car ferry! I've wanted to model the NY pocket railroad car ferries for years. Yours is inspiring!

-Cody

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Gents,
I guess we can continue talking boats for at least a little while longer.
Now the question is, Who do I introduce next?
Well, since I received some interest in the H.J.Davis, how about a couple of shots from a different perspective?

Looks like the fish tug H.J. Davis is leaving port of Potominac in anticipation of dropping her nets while the captain and crew of the Comet are still sipping their coffee and telling stories.

This image must have been taken via . . . drone??

Well, that's it for now, talk to you soon,
Greg R.

Page: of 5 Topic Next Topic: Replacing couplers on Bachmann bobber?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000