Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Wednesday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  07:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from a very cool 49f with a feels like 41f as the wind is straight out of the Northwest, brrr. The coffee urn is READY with Boilertube blend today. Hope there is no unintended consequences. The special is black peppered biscuits and gravy. All other beverages and the oatmeal pot are at the end of the serving line. Keep your distance.

The trip North yesterday was fun. We went up as far as Kalamazoo and back using a lot of roads that we had not been on before. Maybe we saw one construction zone. Typically the trip up 131 in Michigan is jammed with cones and clowns. So the backroads were nice. Saw a few interesting old buildings that would look good as scratchbuild projects. Maybe next time I'll bring a camera. About 300 miles, and low energy by the time we got back.

I'll get the heat on out in the shop a little later and work on a few painting projects to finish off. Some NMRA work to get going on today as well.

Have a Super day!

Jim
Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thermometer registered 39 this morning in SE NH. Warming up to high 70s today, dry with a fair amount of wind. Fire hazard warnings are up.

Yesterday I did a bit more work on the roof for my little office. The green paint I'm using doesn't cover very well, so I have to do 3 coats to get an even color. That definitely slows things down. Geology (Vulcanology) class today, this has been a lot of fun so far.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim, Dave and crew. It's another beautiful day in Tidewater Virginia. It's nice not having the a/c on.

Spent the afternoon in Williamsburg yesterday. Nothing special today. I haven't done any model railroading in several days and I need to get back to my switching layout.

Have a good day.
George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  08:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning! It’s a cool 61f here in northern WV with a high of 80 expected. Then a cool trend. Looks like fall is here; time to check heating systems.

I planted the shrub yesterday and mulched around it. Hope it grows. The front yard has been the center of my attention this year. Much of it was torn up when we added a kitchen to one end of our house and a new front porch and sidewalks. During that construction an old tree was removed, a young tree moved, and shrubbery dug up. Meanwhile, old plantings of iris and roses were overgrown and weed-infested. So, for the last year we’ve had a landscaping project. I’ve moved daylilies from the side of the garage where they were too shaded and overgrown, to sunnier spots in the front; divided iris and planted some and gave extras to our daughter for the house they bought recently; refurbished old garden and dug new garden. It’s almost done for this year.

Today it’s off to the dentist.

Have a nice and safe day!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  09:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from S.E. Michigan where the sun is breaking thru the haze. We will move from the mid-50's to the upper 70's today - or so they say. Yesterday's predicted high of 73 degrees turned out to be a high of 66 in reality. However, we will likely break 70 today before heading down to a high of 63 tomorrow.

I will give some weeds a last spraying for the season today and maybe mow the lawn. It needs it either today or tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Bruce

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High winds had the surf up in town by the lighthouse yesterday. Several bone heads we’re out there in it surfing until dark. Smoke still had the sun fuzzy and peachy at sunset last evening. Today it’s calm but overcast and 90% humidity. Weather shift overnight tonight will make big changes. Color is 15-25% per “they say” on the internet for our county here.

Got our insurance straight yesterday for up here and discussed fill and a retaining wall of big limestone blocks with the dirt guy yesterday. Plumber, electrician and Dan all working today. Electrician telling of a 650# bear he let pass as she had a cub, said there is word of a much bigger male in the area he’s hoping to bag. 3 miles from here. Reinforced word we’ve been told to carry high power protection in the woods.

Headed home tomorrow so I can hit the Sheriff Dept range Friday to re-qualify for my Fed carry permit.

Good day y’all. Safe and healthy.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/16/2020 10:15:04 AM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from Wisconsin. It is 64f degrees in my section of the woods and heading to 73. Yesterday we did hit 80 but had constant high winds with a few gusts officially at 35. Thanks Jim for opening, If mom was still here she would hug you at least for the breakfast, she loved biscuits and gravies, I will have the oatmeal. I woke at 8:45 this morning and just relaxing in the wind on the deck.

The landscape designer was here yesterday and after going over the plans and walking around we were told that we were now scheduled for November. Terry said we were promised October and when the designer argued that Terry had no clue how businesses were run, Terry took our her checkbook (yeah they still exist) and terminated our agreement with the landscaper. So the gandy dancers today have become the landscaping crew. One of the greenhouses has been growing plants Terry and the landscapers had agreed on and the 3 ladies and Terry will do the plantings. Grass will be last and maybe in the Spring but will most likely be hydro-seeded, he is coming out tomorrow. I told them I can run the bobcat and got some dirty looks and the answer we’ll see.

PT today is at 10AM central time. No walking through the Farmers Market today. But, we are heading to a nursery to check out bushes, fruit trees and assorted trees not on the property. We received via email yesterday, a denial for visas to New Zealand. Not too surprised but there was some hope as Terry’s youngest brother has acreage there but no house at this time. Have a great safe day.

TomO

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No “landscape designers” here, Just Jason in a Carhardt T shirt and a bull dozer, digger and a old dump truck. He has a firm grip on business, “I move dirt, put some topsoil over top, you write me a check”. Yeah, Yooper still take checks, too. Firm handshake and no case of the vapors if you have a question. Grass will be seeded with a Scott’s whirligig.

Just back from Jacks in Rapid River with a $5 frosted cinnamon roll the size of a dinner plate, 6” thick with 2 more inches of buttercream frosting. We shared half and will get tomorrow started with the rest. Took a long slow ride on the fire trails in the Hiawatha National Forest. Some pretty scenery but some place that would challenge lots of folks driving faux off road SUVs like soccer moms drive. Got back closer to home just in time to get my choise of smoked lake trout still warm from the smoker at Jenson’s.

Home tomorrow. Been a short but productive week. Cold hits tonight.

L8R

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/16/2020 4:08:53 PM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  6:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If any of you have ever been to the Wisconsin Dells, the Tommy Bartlett Waterski Shows are done. Covid stopped the shows this year and then killed them permanently. They have been going since the 50’s. Another tradition gone for many folks. I know I was there with the folks in the 60’s, with drunken friends in the 70’s and with Terry and our kids in the 80’s and 2000’s.

Smoked salmon has my wife looking online for the place here that was selling it. Fresh is even better, congrats Karl.

Tom

Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000