Railroad Line Forums - Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 184 ]  [ Total: 187 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale Topic Next Topic: Modeling cement in plastic
Page: of 21

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last electrical I did on a depot looked like a nest of junk. thanks for the lesson!'

Philip

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive workmanship. Carl.

George

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just looking terrific, Carl!

As Frank's photo shows, the gable soffit is painted white - just to help back my earlier comment up.

Superb workmanship, and a joy to watch your station come together.

Cheers, Mark.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  5:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Carl. Like your lighting layout, neat concept.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Kevin, Greg, Bob, Jim, Mike, Frank, Rich, Jim O., Philip, George, Mark and Bernd!

Frank- I also have that picture in my files, I actually like THAT yellow.

Rich-Philip-Bernd- I create lighting the simplest & cheapest way possible..no expensive pieces to fry!

Mark- The soffits will be changed to white very soon. I will have it changed by the next update...

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several hundred miles up and down the state of Michigan later, again checking in. The copper tape is a nice tool. I have some in my, where the heck is that, storage area below the layout. I know Iíve used it but what project slips my mind. Passenger car lighting I believe.

Great looking rafters!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 10/20/2020 7:29:23 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  02:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stunning Carl. Nice job on the interior. Basic, but gives just enough impression of detail.
Roof trusses are very nice & neat.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl- Thanks for the kind words. Copper tape is a lifesaver for lighting. I can't live without it!

Rob- Thank you. Interiors are a pet peeve for me, so if you can't see it, what's the point? The trusses are blamed on the jig.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  11:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl that is a great looking building with lots of nice detail. The wiring looks very confusing but you seemed to have mastered it quite well. I'm sure that it will add a lot to the finished project.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  5:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Larry.

The wiring is very straightforward, but so many wires make it look messy. But, it takes all modeling to the next level.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T minus 12 hours....

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  7:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hoped you didn't get shocked!!

Beautiful work & wiring.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming right up Kevin...

Thanks Jerry, but I've been shocked by more voltage than that!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  07:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I needed two chimneys, both with a band around the top. I mitered scraps of Monster Model Works wood brick sheet around a core of balsa, and the band is half round styrene.

After painting, I prepped the depot chimney location by delicately cutting away the soffit and roof truss. The office chimney simply needed a small "shelf" to sit on. Also, I finally painted the soffits white!

Finally at the point of starting some visible roof work. The 1st set of sub roof test pieces have been laid out and are being measured, trimmed, cut... measured, trimmed, cut.... measured, trimmed, cut....

I then copied those thin cardstock test pieces to 1/32" basswood, for the actual roof panels. Adjustments were still necessary. Cutting out a section for the chimney here...

Once those basswood panels were cut, sanded and fitted multiple times, I "papered" all the roofs, with very narrow rows, just like the prototype. Old green construction paper was "pre-wrinkled" with an embossing folder used in the card-making hobby. Then spray painted black & gray, and dry-brushed. The paper was cut into 1/4" strips, with a 3/16" reveal.

After checking all the lights still work, office roof panels are glued down. Here addressing the center bump out peaks.

Office almost complete, front view

Depot glued to the office, and it's roof almost complete.

Till next time..the base & platform...

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  09:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can say is WOW!

What a beautiful looking structure. Carl I'm a little bit envious of your talent to scratch-build models. At some point I'm going to give it a try following your methods. Very inspiring.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale Topic Next Topic: Modeling cement in plastic  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000