Railroad Line Forums - BCRR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 232 ]  [ Total: 238 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 BCRR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...)
Page: of 7

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure which pictures, and I'm not sure what you're asking about the angle?

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Guys. The clouds were done using non-oil pastel chalks. I lightly drew the overall shape and amount of underside (to give it depth) in white and grey; then I filled in the various features(puffs) if you will; blended (smeared) them together adding other colors until Mark said it looked good; or stop dude!! come and check it out before you mess it up. Then I was impressed enough with his sincerity to put down the chalk and move on. He was dead on!! Thanx again for asking. KYLE

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  9:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a shot from Nov.21 last year, and you can see clouds lightly drawn in in white chalk. Also the crude mountains done in different shades in acrylics with chalk features drawn in for depth, size, and distance reference. Maybe you can tell that I didn't use any of the cloud features except the ones on the lower left, right above the river and horizon. The second picture is from Apr.4 of this year; kind of a before and after.

Download Attachment: 003resizedckc.jpg
75.65áKB

Download Attachment: 005resizedckc.jpg
61.02áKB

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/07/2020 11:06:13 PM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope that gives you the info you were seeking. I'll see if I can find some other shots (closer) of the clouds in various stages of development and post them if you would like to see them and think they might be helpful. Also, that's the day the "DEATH STAR" appeared in the sky. It's been lurking there ever since.

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/07/2020 9:32:29 PM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  12:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed the brown paper sack material in Devils' Gulch. This will be the support under the plaster cloth. I'm going to cut the cloth into small 10" long or so pieces and glue them in place after 'forming them' to the contours of the gulch. Then I'll mist them with water to activate the plaster. While they're wet I'll add a layer of paper towels, then another layer of plaster cloth, form it, mist it, and let dry. This way I don't have to mess with removing or wrapping the bridge or trestles. 'll probably start this weekend, as Mark wanted to "play" with the stuff also.

Download Attachment: 002resizedckc.jpg
73.58áKB

Download Attachment: 001resizedkc.jpg
93.7áKB

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/08/2020 12:38:30 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking Trestles.

Jerry

"And in the end, itĺs not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  8:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx, the wooden trestle in front is 6'4" long. I'm pretty sure that's 304 scale feet. Glad you like it. All comments welcome.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  9:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know anything about adding a Walschaerts Valve Gear to a BLI C-16 ? Is one even available as a cosmetic detail???

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  01:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kyle creel

Does anyone know anything about adding a Walschaerts Valve Gear to a BLI C-16 ? Is one even available as a cosmetic detail???

Kyle, Using Precision Scale Casting the links should be easy enough. I would think the changing the Cylinders would be the hardest part as by the time Walshaerts came around piston values with the Super Heated piping were in use. You might be able to modify a cylinder casting for a K-27.

Bob

It's only make-believe

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silly me . I feel so dumb; after I posted last night I looked at some pictures of the real mccoy and saw that the BLI looks just like the real deal. I thought that since BLI didn't put a lot of detail on the model (by comparison) to Bachmanns' 2-8-0, or 4-6-0, that they figured they'd keep the price down by minimal amounts of some of the details like some of the HO models by CONCOR etc.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  1:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But then, I looked at some adds from 2010 and the C-16 sold for about $269.00; that's pretty low pricing by todays' standards or back then for that matter. Some of the Bachmann stuff was well over $300.00 without sound. Also has anyone noticed how 'stiff' the C-16 seems to be when running... there's no 'give' in the running gear at all. It sorta bangs along the rails like a bulldozer; no type of 'flex' as it bashes over turnouts. Don't get me wrong, I like the locomotive a great deal, and the volume adjustment design among other features is quite nice, but it "travails the rails" like a brick.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  11:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some other shots of the layout; not so focused on the backdrop. A "tour" if you will. The first ones are of the town of Ft. Compton...

Download Attachment: 023resizedkc.jpg
52.45áKB

Download Attachment: 027resizedkc.jpg
84.67áKB

Download Attachment: 022resizedkc.jpg
49.38áKB

This is Dilapidated...

Download Attachment: 029resizedkc.jpg
43.28áKB

Download Attachment: 030resized.jpg
49.9áKB

Download Attachment: 028resizedckc.jpg
61.21áKB

This is Grizzly...

Download Attachment: 031resizedkc.jpg
58.31áKB

Download Attachment: 033resizedkc.jpg
52.01áKB

Download Attachment: 034resizedckc.jpg
65.34áKB

this is TEXAS DRAW...

Download Attachment: 035resizedkc.jpg
55.89áKB

Scavenger, where 'stuff' that's gone missing, always shows up...

Download Attachment: 036resizedkc.jpg
65.6áKB

MULE, a still developing storyline...

Download Attachment: 037resizedkc.jpg
62.46áKB

Woods' Ridge

Download Attachment: 038resizedlc.jpg
64.48áKB

And finally Blackrock, its' Depot, yard and standard gauge interchange sidings...

Download Attachment: 044resizedkc.jpg
39.19áKB

Download Attachment: 048resizedkc.jpg
45.68áKB

Download Attachment: 049resizedkc.jpg
53.56áKB

Download Attachment: 041resizedkc.jpg
47.76áKB

Thanx for visiting the BLACKROCK CANYON RR, ya'll come back now, y'hear????

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/11/2020 09:55:48 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the additional photos. You have a lot of picturesque scenes.

By the way, not a criticism, but if you wanted you could post photos two or three times larger (in KB) and weĺd see more details and they would be within the size guidelines.

Mike

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures still not straight???

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  11:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Philip

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Climax A Build Topic Next Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000