Railroad Line Forums - Static Trackside Signs
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: CPinMI ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Static Trackside Signs
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: layout design help
Page: of 2

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  9:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does one know which trackside signs (not signals) to use (for what purposes) and where they would go on a layout when many prototype signs consist only of a letter, a number or a symbol of one kind or another and no wording?

My GN freight layout, c. 1945-1955, is a small 5' x 7' with a double reverse loop, five track crossings by road, a wayside siding and two freight depot sidings, so there would be a need for only a modicum of signage.

I've already placed crossbucks where the roads cross the tracks. What other non-operational signs would be appropriate and practical for the GN line in my era? Color photos with interpretations (uses) and appropriate locations along the route would be most helpful.

I've already contacted the GNRHS, but did not receive a helpful reply. I've also since learned that the only books even remotely related to my question are long-winded recitations of rules and regulations, with basically zero graphics, that were written for railroad employees, not the general public.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  10:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a tuff question to answer in a short sentence. That's why they have those long winded books. Look at this short video for some answers to your question; https://rockontrains.wordpress.com/2018/10/30/how-to-read-trackside-signs-markers/

Here are a couple of Fixed signs that are colored black and white, unless stated in color below, posted along the wayside.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  1:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

As always, you've answered the question that was asked - with art. Another feather in your cap, another gold ring on your mantle! This is exactly the kind of information - in all its pictoral clarity and conciseness - I'm looking for. And the excellent video is a bonus.

With such a small layout, it's clear that my use of signs is necessarily quite limited. But now I have a visual resource from which to choose what I think will enhance its realism. Whether or not these signs are GN- or era-specific is, well...pending any future clarification, who's to know?!

What's your source for the above graphics? I'd like to see a lot more examples.

By the way, the forum gods sent me three e-mail notices that you had replied. That, I have to conclude, speaks to the value of your information!

Edited by - GNMT76 on 08/24/2020 1:13:59 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GNMT76

Louis,

As always, you've answered the question that was asked - with art. Another feather in your cap, another gold ring on your mantle! This is exactly the kind of information - in all its pictoral clarity and conciseness - I'm looking for. And the excellent video is a bonus.

With such a small layout, it's clear that my use of signs is necessarily quite limited. But now I have a visual resource from which to choose what I think will enhance its realism. Whether or not these signs are GN- or era-specific is, well...pending any future clarification, who's to know?!

What's your source for the above graphics? I'd like to see a lot more examples.

By the way, the forum gods sent me three e-mail notices that you had replied. That, I have to conclude, speaks to the value of your information!

Thank you very much for the kind words.
Those signs I had in a folder for save keeping. However, I was tiring to remember where, and find, a Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman magazine from some years back, that had an article with sign pictures in it, and there meanings. I'm still looking!

Louis

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  4:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

I've copied the two sets of signs you sent. Easy-peasy to use for making my own once I've determined what signs would be practical on my layout. Lacking such back issues of the magazines, I appreciate your taking a trip back into the past in search of other signs and their meanings and placement.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  8:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice going Louis'... Very useful information here'... As usual your efforts in assisting us modelers is always appreciated'...

Ted

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  9:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Nice going Louis'... Very useful information here'... As usual your efforts in assisting us modelers is always appreciated'...

Alright, everyone...three cheers for Louis!!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  8:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys!

Louis

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2020 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, et al,

An archivist at the GNRHS says the society has a booklet on trackside signs. After he digs it up and copies it, I'll let everyone know.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/29/2020 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Louis, et al,

An archivist at the GNRHS says the society has a booklet on trackside signs. After he digs it up and copies it, I'll let everyone know.

That would be of great help to everyone!

Louis

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  9:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:

Louis, et al,

Louis et al,

An update. The GNRHS archivist is still working to put the trackside signs he's found (quite a few) in Acrobat format. I'll holler when I get the word.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/19/2020 :  10:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:

Louis, et al,

Louis et al,

An update. The GNRHS archivist is still working to put the trackside signs he's found (quite a few) in Acrobat format. I'll holler when I get the word.

Outstanding, looking forward to your progress.

Louis

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  9:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis et al,

I'm sorry to report that the static sign images the GNRHS archivist sent me are embedded within the e-mail. Moreover, they're neither copyable nor are the text descriptions readable even when enlarged (in One Drive). Though the images themselves are clear and readable, without knowing how, why and where they're used on the prototype, they're quite useless.

Several weeks ago, I again e-mailed him to inquire where and when he planned to put them on the Internet (quite the broad statement, of course) but he never replied. Unless I hear from him, it seems to be a dead issue.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you feel it's appropriate, you can forward the message to me and I can probably get the images out. Click the 'send email' link in my profile to get into communication.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  09:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Louis et al,

I'm sorry to report that the static sign images the GNRHS archivist sent me are embedded within the e-mail. Moreover, they're neither copyable nor are the text descriptions readable even when enlarged (in One Drive). Though the images themselves are clear and readable, without knowing how, why and where they're used on the prototype, they're quite useless.

Several weeks ago, I again e-mailed him to inquire where and when he planned to put them on the Internet (quite the broad statement, of course) but he never replied. Unless I hear from him, it seems to be a dead issue.

As James has offered, he or I, can most likely be able to help you if we see the email sent to you. Sometimes it just needs another eye to view something and make sense of it. Don't give up yet!

Louis

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  1:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James and Louis,

Thank you for the offer.

I've since found that I can open three of the 227 images at a time in One Drive, then download them as photos in IrfanView. From there I can enlarge the images and the text so that it's readable. However, the text is all about the technical details for construction: dimensions, paint colors, materials from which the signs are to be made, specs for the posts and the like. Helpful, but incomplete. There's not a word about their use or placement, the particulars I was after in the first place.

If you can tell me how to attach photos from IrfanView, I'll send you a few. Alternatively, if you want to send me your e-mail address in a PM, I can also send them as an attachment in G-mail.

So Louis, the images you sent above may be the best I can hope for, as they contain the key information I wanted to know.

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: layout design help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000