Railroad Line Forums - Monson water house
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Monson water house
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn30 Battery Mining Locomotive Topic Next Topic: A bit of a conundrum....  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earlier I talked about searching for a good Maine 2' water facility prototype, and mentioned the Monson RR's tank house. Today, I'm going to start to build that. I'm not doing an exact model, but rather "looks like" (in particular, I'm not scaling the exact building dimensions from planimetric analysis of the photos, but rather swagging it :-) )

Looking at the photos, it seems there is a pipe coming out of the side of the structure. The fill pipe gets inserted into the pipe (that has a right-angle so it faces the track.) That places a premium on the engineer spotting the loco precisely for alignment of the fill pipe with the tank's cap.

Construction will be wood scribed siding, I may use the smaller HO scale clapboard siding (which has a smaller 'reveal'). I'll pick a window casting that looks close to the 9 over 9 window. I haven't seen a picture of the closed door next to the window, so I'll presume it's a rough door and just scratchbuild that from scribed siding.

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  12:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Grandt 5030, 4/4 window. The 6/6 I found was too big. This is 27" x 48"

From that, I sketched the rest of the structure.

Prototype:

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/23/2020 12:55:09 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Here's a link to the other end of the building that might answer some questions: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112261457@N06/32561394166/

Have a ball!

Pete
in Michigan

<edit>: Yes the color image is a product of the WW&F Museum, but the form, fit and function of the structure are similar enough to run with....

-P

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 08/23/2020 2:03:33 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "red cover" Monson RR book ("A Pictorial History of the Monson RR" http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/books.htm ) has good photos of 3 sides. Only the back side, as defined by the track, is not shown. And I'm sure that's a blank wall.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/23/2020 3:09:32 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The "red cover" Monson RR book ("A Pictorial History of the Monson RR" http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/books.htm ) has good photos of 3 sides. Only the back side, as defined by the track, is not shown. And I'm sure that's a blank wall.

dave

"Two Feet to the Quarries," by Robert C. Jones, may have additional details. Blank wall in back seems appropriate to me....

Observe Rule One!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  3:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Doesn’t it look like the fill pipe slips over the end of the stationary pipe that goes into the tank? The fill pipe appears to have the larger diameter. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by the fill pipe?

In any case, I like your choice of prototype.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

Doesn’t it look like the fill pipe slips over the end of the stationary pipe that goes into the tank? The fill pipe appears to have the larger diameter. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by the fill pipe?

In any case, I like your choice of prototype.

Mike

I -think- that's how it works. Other photos show the fill pipe leaning up against the tank structure (at least that's how I interpret it), but those photos are post-abandonment. Not many degrees of freedom when positioning the locomotive with that approach!

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  7:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The water shed pieces leaning together next to the coal facility. I argue it makes sense to not paint the coal facility a lighter color :-)

By the way, I realized I used that exact color scheme before on a Victorian store/house that I built from a (Bar Mills) kit a couple years ago.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/23/2020 8:03:19 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  1:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is pretty much done. It was a fun little build!

Either here or on Kitforums.com, there was a question about foundations, so I took photos of how I did the foundation for this one. I cut the sub-foundation from 1/8" square stock, cut less than the perimeter of the structure to allow for both the stone material and some overhang.

Then I cut the stone sheet and glued it in place.

I filled in the gaps at the corners with Vallejo acrylic putty, smoothing that out with my finger and then with a knife to add the mortar lines.

I touched up the paint.

Finally, I constructed the bracing for the water nozzle.

Not an exact match to the Monson prototype, but good enough.

Here it is on location. I still need to decide on the exact layout for the water and coal service.

dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I don't think you want to paint the coal facility a light color. Remember the old WWII barracks with coalbins? There was a colonel down at Bragg that made the troops empty the coal bins, white wash them and then refill them with coal. He was thereafter known as "Coalbin Willie".

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  3:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's my argument for leaving it boxcar red... :-)

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  3:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the loose part of the pipe fits over a stub on the fixed part, less water will be spilled. And if the loose part is 1/4" or 3/8" bigger in diameter than the fixed part, the engineer won't have to be as exact.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  5:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave, and I agree with James and George.

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  6:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your water tank turned out great! It captures the quaint, down-home look of the two-footers.

What did you use for the roof?

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  6:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roof is Minuteman grey slate shingles (over styrene) I buy them in large uncut sheets, so I can get long runs of shingles for my mill buildings. (Didn't need that for this roof!)

dave

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2020 :  2:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a little late to the party but that's a great looking water tank! Perfectly states Maine 2-footer. I'll have to build myself one one day...

-Cody

Previous Topic: HOn30 Battery Mining Locomotive Topic Next Topic: A bit of a conundrum....  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000