Railroad Line Forums - Guide to Railroad Symbols and Signage
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 236 ]  [ Total: 238 ]  [ Newest Member: ramparts ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Guide to Railroad Symbols and Signage
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  5:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a guidebook, website or other reference source that interprets and describes the uses, functions and placement of the multitude of static, trackside railroad signs and their symbols found on the prototype across the U.S. If they happen to be line-specific, I model the Great Northern in the transition era. I found no such information on the GNRHS site.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Edited by - GNMT76 on 08/16/2020 1:50:02 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  07:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many might be explained in a contemporary GN Rule Book. Others might be found in an 'Employee Timetable'. The GN probably had several different ETTs, each covering one or a few Divisions of the railroad.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  1:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Many might be explained in a contemporary GN Rule Book. Others might be found in an 'Employee Timetable'. The GN probably had several different ETTs, each covering one or a few Divisions of the railroad.

Thanks for the leads. Where does one get such publications? What are ETTs?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  2:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Railroad paper dealers have mostly done their business at tables at train shows, but some also have on-line presence; search for 'Railroadiana'. Those I know personally are in New England and unlikely to have much stock of GN materials. A dealer in your area might be able to refer you to one in GN territory (rule books and ETTs get into circulation when employees don't turn them in at retirement or when a new version is issued). 'ETT' is a common abbreviation for Employee's TimeTable (frequently used by RR historians).

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  3:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the signs themselves, most RRs maintained a set of Standard Plans for items used along the right of way. nmro.org offers downloadable scans of B&M standard plans (along with track charts, valuation documents etc.); these include Clearance Diagrams and other information about where signs could/should be placed. He may also have other RRs; I haven't looked. I don't know exactly how other RRs did it, but the Standard Plans idea was common, if not universal by about 1910.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  8:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Railroad paper dealers have mostly done their business at tables at train shows, but some also have on-line presence; search for 'Railroadiana'. Those I know personally are in New England and unlikely to have much stock of GN materials. A dealer in your area might be able to refer you to one in GN territory (rule books and ETTs get into circulation when employees don't turn them in at retirement or when a new version is issued). 'ETT' is a common abbreviation for Employee's TimeTable (frequently used by RR historians).

Thanks, JB.

Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000