Railroad Line Forums - Construction of REAL wooden buildings (Walls)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 327 ]  [ Total: 329 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Reference & Research
 Construction of REAL wooden buildings (Walls)
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Manufacturing & shipping large transformers: GE
Page: of 2

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hoping to do something in O Scale (On30)

Edited by - jamesbkenny on 07/25/2020 07:55:39 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  08:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum James.

What are you planning on building? You can lots of help here just let us know.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I had posted an actual question instead of a statement. But it seems to have been lost in the ether. Sorry for the confusion.
I am from the UK and would like to know what dimensions of wood are used in real life for the construction of the various type of wooden structure. I am thinking about board and battern, clap board and another type (I don't know the namer it but it is just simple vertical boards over a stud Frame)
With this info I will know what size lumber to order so that I can try a little scratch building (Board by board construction not sheets of clapboard )

I want to build something in O Scale. Something like Sierra West Scale models o'Neill's Fabrication.

I have never built anything much before except a Fine Scale Minatures kit and that was 40 years ago!

I want to experiment with techniques before spending a fortune on a kit.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  08:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the US, residential construction is either 2x4 or 2x6 (2x6 in colder climates, to allow for more room for insulation.) That's nominal lumber size, the measured size is 1 3/4 x 3 3/4. They're done on 16" centers. http://www.visualdictionaryonline.com/house/structure-house/frame.php

That horizontal siding is probably 'shiplap', which has a tongue and groove arrangement to keep water and cold out. (Shiplap is very trendy for interior walls these days :-) ) So from a distance, it looks like horizontal boards butted against each other.

For board and batten, you'd have to do a somewhat different style of framing, to have enough horizontal members to nail the boards to.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/25/2020 09:12:23 AM

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brett of Sierra West models Has a Forum That I would sign up for and join Tons of info there on weathering and Great Modeling.

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that.
I am particularly interested in trying to replicate the blue stained walls on the from of this building from Sierra West Scale Models Gallery :
https://sierrawestscalemodels.com/gallery/311_jf/311_jf_01.jpg

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Craig. I have tried but there is a problem with his site as far as I can tell as of writing this . I cannot register.
A ReCaptcha bug as far as I could tell. But I have emailed him.

Edited by - jamesbkenny on 07/25/2020 10:04:11 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Framing and siding dimensions Depend on your time frame, age, size of building and type of construction.

Pre-1900 construction would have been post and beam with heavy timbers for the skeleton, and 2 by 4 (actual) studs for residences, heavier for large wood buildings, for instance 2 by 8 for shops and enginehouse. Framing changed over to balloon framing and modern framing with 2 by 4s in the late 1800s for residences.

You know about clapboard and board and batten, and Dave told you about shiplap, used in late 1800s and thereafter. Board and batten probably used varying board widths from building to building but 12 was typical. Battens about 2 wide.

I dont know if theres a name for vertical boards on a frame. They are typically for very informal buildings, as youve probably observed. Boards can vary in width even on the same building, but 12 or thereabouts was typical

Sheathing can vary in thickness. The clapboard is around 1/2 on my old 1859 house. I think anything up to 1 is reasonable. I usually use 1 scale lumber. Its purpose is to keep water out and does not have to be thick, unless its for a coal bunker, in which case 3 is appropriate, maybe thicker.

Mike .

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  10:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like a building where there are no set rules. Sheathing looks to be 8 to 10. I think you could do what looks right to you.

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael. That is very helpful.
Right! I am off to HandLaidTrack.com to get me some lumber.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youre not the first to scratchbuild this kit, and Im sure you wont be the last:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47452&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=O%27Neills

Its a great place to start.

Mike

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I don't fancy having to follow that!
Excellent work.
Thanks again Michael.
These forums are truly amazing. So much help from so many really friendly people.

And this has been my first question. I only joined today!!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  4:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, you might try this one;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52790

He's building a kit but he gives you enough information to scratch build it (like I'm going to).

Bob

It's only make-believe

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/26/2020 :  01:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started a thread on building a wooden structure. I never finished it, but the thread may be some help to you. I used 1/4 x 1/32 rosewood strips for mine.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41764

jamesbkenny
New Hire

Posted - 07/26/2020 :  05:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. I will have a look at that. Not a structure I was particularly looking for but it does have nice proportions.

Ron. That looks like an epic piece of modelling. Very neat work. I haven't heard of Rosewood for modelling with. I will study it with interest.

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  01:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rosewood was purchased at Lee Valley Tools. They no longer carry it. Came in a tube of about 300 pieces 18" L X 1/4" wide X 1/32" for $20. Looks just like red cedar when you make a building out of it. Any wood that size will work for O scale clap boards. The studs are all basswood as are the windows and trim.

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Manufacturing & shipping large transformers: GE  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000