Railroad Line Forums - 26' Flatcar in Fn3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 245 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 26' Flatcar in Fn3
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5
Page: of 4

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends on the year. Typically before 1900 railroads would letter flat cars with:

1. Railroad name, usually only the initials;
2. Car number;
3. Length;
4. Capacity.

They can also have the weight of the car and the car builder if not the railroad. Optionally the year built.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  5:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Example:

Ignore the small “M.K&T of (Texas)” which was required for railroads with lines in Texas.

Mike

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  04:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, thank you very much for the example.
I intend to freelance a fictional short line in the 1920s, presumably using rather old equipment, so turn of the century or slightly before should serve me just fine.

I read "34FT 8IN" from that photo, that means my flat car is 75% its size.
Would it be acceptable to assume that capacity and weight scale down linearly?
That would place my car at a capacity of 37,500 (lbs, I assume?) and a weight of 17,000.

Thanks again,

Frédéric

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frédéric,

I looked up some lengths and capacities and in general cars less than 30’ length had a capacity of 24,000 to 30,000 lbs. Regarding weight, a Virginia and Truckee car built in 1876 and surviving into the 1930’s was 29’ 8” in length and weighed 15,900 lbs.

Mike

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

thanks for these additional numbers.
I guess I should err on the humble side, so I'd opt for capacity of 22,000 lbs. and weight of 14,000 lbs.
Sounds reasonable?

Thanks and regards,

Frédéric

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  10:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here’s a car built in 1891.

Notice how little lettering there is. If a car ran only on the home road there might not be anything more than railroad initials and number, and perhaps only a number.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  10:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frédéric,

Sounds reasonable. It’s a narrow gauge car, correct? My information is for standard gauge cars. Going light makes sense.

Mike

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  10:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

yes it's going to be 3ft narrow gauge. Since I plan my railroad to represent a fictional 1920s short line, I'll go and try to add capacity and weight, but that will be it.

Thank you so much,

Frédéric

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  11:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking work so far Frédéric. Nice attention to detail.
Fascinating to read the last few back & forth replies from Mike. He certainly is knowledgeable about these things.
Isn't this forum great. Ask about something, and someone will know the answer.

Mike, Great photo of M K & T 3951. Not sure why he's holding a tomahawk ?

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Mike, Great photo of M K & T 3951. Not sure why he's holding a tomahawk ?

Thank you, Rob. The hatchet is very curious. Maybe to remove wood, ropes etc used to restrain loads.

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  03:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments, Rob! I just hope that I can live up to the expectations...

Regards,

Frédéric

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the Church 2-25-21 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000