Railroad Line Forums - Lous Log Cabin build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 319 ]  [ Total: 323 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lous Log Cabin build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rich Beau Ameri-Towne Challenge  - Burke Building Topic Next Topic: Craftsman Structure Manufacturer Listing
Page: of 9

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Id try my hand at building a log cabin, so here goes my build, along with some history and Prototype building techniques.
The best Logs for Cabin building should if possible opt from trees that were grown in relatively high altitudes, the slower the trees are grown, the tighter the growth rings are. This leads to dense wood which results in less cracking and checking as they dry.
Firstly, youll need to know the diameter of the logs you want to use. It is recommend using an 8 inch diameter at the very minimum, anywhere up to 14 inches. A 10 12 inch diameter log is best, and ideal for log cabins and homes.
The most popular logs used to build log homes are very much dependent on the trees grown in each area of the country, or the availability and cost of trees in a particular area. These are the most common trees used in America: Pine (white, yellow and red) Eastern or Western white Cedar, Cypress, Spruce, Fir, Hemlock, Ponderosa Pine, Lodgepole Pine and hardwoods such as Oak, Poplar and Walnut.
A log cabin has about 2 feet on each side at the corners, protruding from the walls. So for example a 12 x 17 log cabin would have logs cut 16 foot long for the ends, and 21 foot long for the sides cabin construction.
The most important points to remember when building a log cabin are:
1 Make sure your logs have minimal taper.
2 10-12 diameter logs are the recommended thickness.
3 Ensure the logs were grown in a relatively high altitude.
4 Ensure all the logs are straight as possible.
Pictures below show log assortment for cabin construction, and several simple cabins.
Ill be constructing a loggers cabin for my L&R Railroad similar to the first picture, top left.
Maybe Ill even add a front porch to the cabin, well see.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be an interesting build, Lou.

Bruce

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Lou, you're on a roll!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou,

I'll be tuning in.

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Log buildings are cool, we watch Barn Wood Builders on TV and enjoy seeing their work with log and old hand hewn wood buildings.

Go Lou, time to notch a few logs....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JGDURAND's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I look forward to seeing your achievement.
If I had your information, I could have avoided some faults

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49171&whichpage=5

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Carl B, Jim, Karl and JGDURAND thank you for your interest and following along.

JGDurand, I think your structure looks just fine. Building American structures, and the other American builds that you do, being from France can't always be easy to do if you never saw it in person. So my hat is off to you for your fine craftsmanship!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After measuring different size skewers to be used for my logs, Ill be using the HO Scale 12 BBQ Bamboo Skewers from Nantucket Gourmet Chef, 100 count @ 69 cents. I can make a lot of cabins, wood loads, and have an unlimited supply usage. You can see from the HO 1:87 scale sizes below, converting it to your scale, these items can be used form O 1:48 scale to N 1:160 scale. Cheap lumber at a bargain price.
For my cabin construction I will be using the Full Round type log style. As seen in drawing below there are many different log cabin log styles/shapes. And, Ill be making the Saddle Notch type cuts into my logs, also seen in the below drawings.
The template shown below will be used to cut out from card stock making a structure frame that can be made-up, and used to glue and shore up the logs, and help support the placement of them as I build, and also align the door and windows placement. Ill be using Tichy Train Group windows #8023 and door #8197.

Louis

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm joining the crowd of spectators.

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  11:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I'm joining the crowd of spectators.

George

Thanks for climbing aboard George!

Louis

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You always offer a wealth of knowledge and information, Louis. Thanks for sharing it all.

Horton M.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  3:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis you always provide the most interesting and informative information along with your excellent builds and projects'.. I have built a "Split log cabin, in O scale. They are very cool. I also like the saddle cut the best'... I'll be checking in on you'...

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  4:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandman

You always offer a wealth of knowledge and information, Louis. Thanks for sharing it all.

Horton M.

I thank you very much Horton. I'm glad you appreciate the added information with my builds.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  4:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Louis you always provide the most interesting and informative information along with your excellent builds and projects'.. I have built a "Split log cabin, in O scale. They are very cool. I also like the saddle cut the best'... I'll be checking in on you'...

As always Ted, I appreciate your comments, suggestions, interest and following along.

Louis

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  9:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, here's a little inspiration for you project.
Richard Proenneke built a log cabin and lived almost 30 years alone in the Alaskan wilderness.
He recorded much of his experience on film and in journals.

Some years back I watched a black & white documentary he filmed there over many years.
I searched today for a free version of his "Alone in the Wilderness"(57 minutes) when I saw your build,
but only found videos excerpts others put together from his stuff. Well worth watching if you can find it.

Here's a 10.5 minute one on YouTube. Art about 7m 40s it showsjust the beginning of his cabin construction. Quite a guy!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  9:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, Should be an interesting build. I've used bamboo skewers before on a trestle bridge.
They are pretty good to work with, but can split, so take your time cutting them.
I found it best to do a rolling cut.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Rich Beau Ameri-Towne Challenge  - Burke Building Topic Next Topic: Craftsman Structure Manufacturer Listing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000