Railroad Line Forums - The Rich Beau' Ameri-Towne O Scale Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 227 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Rich Beau' Ameri-Towne O Scale Challenge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Help with scratch building a car ferry Topic Next Topic: Welcome to the Savoy, A few daylight shots
Page: of 5

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forum Member Rich Beau, graciously gave three, Ameri-Towne O scale fronts to forum members that were interested in building them up into a reasonable structure. I was one of the lucky recipients and received the"Plain Jane Cafe" front from Rich. So time to get going. I have always wanted to try one of these Ameri-Towne kits/fronts. This was a great opportunity to do so. And Rich's generosity is very much appreciated. Details and photos coming up'..

Ted

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be watching. I took mine out of the package and have been looking at options. If I'm going to do it. I might as well try something completely new to me.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the AMeri-Towne Front, as it arrived in a very well packaged shipment from Rich.

After a thorough cleaning with soap and water, then an alcohol wipe down, we are now ready for step 2. I apply Dr. Ben's "Old Brick" Light gray stain. This stain works great on polystyrene. This is applied only on the brick portion of the front. Just a dab here and there on the bottom facade for a little added bite.

Step 3. I use Vallejo white primer for the facade. I find this applies a little thinner than Gesso. I like both, but the primer is easier to work with on this type of material. You will notice the windows, door frame and some trim have already been painted. I like to do this fine trim painting first, and then touch up later. Plus it gives me an idea of how the finished product will look at completion.

Step 4. Measuring substructures for the side and rear walls. I'm using "Task board on this model @ 5/32 thickness. The Task Board will be covered with a thick textured brick paper that I received from Greece. It is sold on Esty and the Bay. I just love this stuff. It is completely realistic. Adheres well to wood, Plastic, Task and illustration board. I use the simple roll on stick glue that is used in grammar schools. Works great'..

Step 5.
Cutting and applying textured brick paper sheets to substructures.
This material is actually more of a lite plastic than it is paper.
I think that's what gives it a really good look.

Okay, time for dinner'...

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  6:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice start right out of the gate Ted! Looking great.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  6:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted,
If the brick paper from Foggy Mountain? I pulled out some of the red color brick sheets to test.

Edited by - BigLars on 07/13/2020 6:31:07 PM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  7:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work and a quick start outa-the-blocks Ted.
I like that Dr. Ben's stain. And I've been wondering about brick paper... damn! I'll have to try some of each.
In the meantime I think we're in for a treat.
--Rich

--Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  10:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, off to a flying start. Looking forward to this build, as I also have been eyeing off the Ameri-Towne models.
Nice that they can supply a whole building or just the front facade.

Good progress so far.

And well done to Rich for such a nice offer, to those 3 lucky people.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Edited by - robert goslin on 07/13/2020 10:28:17 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great start Ted. This is going to be a good looking building.
Please tell us more about the brick paper!

David Guffey

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Guff. Looks good Ted.

I also would like you to tell us more about the brick paper !

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  1:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Larry; Louis; Rich; Robert; David; and Carl, for the very nice comments'..
Here is the link for Esty web site. These sheets are sold on Ebay too, but he charges a much higher price on there for them. On Esty, thayare dirt cheap. They take Paypal also.
I bought 20 sheets in different styles for $9.00, was 8 something Euro. They come in HO, O and G scale. In real life they are much better than in the photos below. The photosdo them no justice. Also, free shipping on Esty and not on the Bay. I received them in two weeks. However, with the pandemic, shipping from Europe is way backed up...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/557943407/8-sheets-embossed-paper-bumpy-brick-wall

Ted

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, back to work

Step 6.
I painted the lower facade with 'Mudstone Acrylic, with 2 drops of Vallejo Cement. These two together make a very nice cement color.
I went over the top portion with some Pan Pastels. I also used a chipping solution prior to weathering. I got some results, but not as good as I would have desired.. These chipping fluids seem to work best on wood...

Step 7.
A little more weathering: I generally used to weather after completion of the build. I now find it on some builds feasible to some general weathering before completion...

Step 8.
Time for the glass company contractor to do their thing.
I like K&S Engineering .30 clear sheets for store front windows. They come covered with a blue skin and make it easy for cutting. For regular house windows I use .10 or.20..

Step 9.

Upper windows installed'. and curtains hung. Oak floors/ceilings installed. The store front windows are a little small. Normaily, I would install some detail parts, but instead went with printouts from the web. You will see why I did this on the finished product.

Step 10.
Waiting on the electricians to show up'....

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted, Thanks for the Esty info!
I think you weathering looks good.

David Guffey

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  7:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are very welcome dave, my pleasure. He has your scale in many varieties'...

Ted

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  8:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, you are jumping way into the lead on this build, nice progress.

FYI - an americian source for the brick paper. https://foggymountainmodels.com/shop Mark the owner is a good guy.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  08:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Ted, you are jumping way into the lead on this build, nice progress.

FYI - an americian source for the brick paper. https://foggymountainmodels.com/shop Mark the owner is a good guy.

Thanks Larry for the info. An American source just made it easier for me. I do like the looks of those brick sheets Ted showed.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Ted.

Iíll be checking out those brick papers.

Mike

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Help with scratch building a car ferry Topic Next Topic: Welcome to the Savoy, A few daylight shots  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000