Railroad Line Forums - Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 19

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you find a source of coarse wood shavings/chips to use as tanbark?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  6:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading Bill's post, it struck me: There are etched saws, could you make an etched 'wood shaper' that has more space between the teeth to get spacings like 2', 4", etc?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  6:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking cars Michael. Those loads look great.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  8:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, here's another technique that will give you ragged stacks. It's a little more work, but not much:
Start with scribed wood siding in the width of boards you want to model.
Sand the back side to thin the siding to approximately some dimensional lumber thickness.
Cut pieces from the siding for the lumber stack, cut to the correct width and lenght of the overall load.
Squarely cut both ends of individual "boards" slightly different lengths, creating the ragged look you need.
Glue the pieces on top of each other to make a stack and, if desired, add a top layer of individual stripwood pieces of the same thickness to hide the scribe lines on the layer below.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words and suggestions, Cody, George, Jim, Dave, Bernd, and Bill.

Bill, I think your method with sheetwood would be particularly useful if I were to build a large sawmill or lumber yard.

Mike

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking cars and loads Mike!

Philip

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Philip said !

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Grade A wood load. Wood loads are always intriguing!

David Guffey

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  3:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, A lot of good work. The scenery looks good without taking over. That goes for the backdrop too. Enough there to suggest a place other than a workbench but not enough to invite the viewer for a walk through the woods and away from the trains. Thanks for the information on how you did the car loads. that's very helpful. The loads do look good and realistic.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  8:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you David, Philip, Carl and Bob.

Bob, Iím happy you like my scenery. I do plan to have forest but it will be bleak and wintery, not inviting for a walk in the woods.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  01:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, great job on the lumber loads. Being slightly out of alignment, they look real to me.
I've done stacked timber on my lumber yard. Just used balsa, stacked into sheets, but just cut the end faces to looks like boards, and then just did individual boards on top.
Page 2 of my build here explains it:-
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32912&SearchTerms=lumber

Your certainly have a fine fleet of rolling stock there.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  08:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Rob. I appreciate your comments and suggestion. I hadnít seen your lumber yard thread (itís from before I joined) and I enjoyed reading it through. Your lumber piles look very real.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael I really like your lumber loads as they look very realistic; nice cars too!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  7:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larryc

Michael I really like your lumber loads as they look very realistic; nice cars too!

Thank you!

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  6:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
You have put together an impressive fleet of L.V. cars. What kind of loco's have the honor of dragging around those gems?
I may have missed an earlier post, but what about the other end of the train also?

Greg R.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000