Railroad Line Forums - Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 19

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  9:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, thank you. My railroad is set in 1888. The LV was building a lot of boxcars in the 33 to 34í range starting in 1887 and into the 90ís, many lasting past WWI. I believe some truss rod cars lasted into the twenties but many were rebuilt with steel underframes around the time of WWI.

Of the smaller 28í cars, several hundred turn up on the LV roster in the 1904 equipment register, but they drop out pretty quickly after that.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/24/2020 9:47:14 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  5:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new area on my layout is going to be generating traffic in forest products, most notably lumber. This week Iíve been working on removable loads for flat cars.

I figure I have one more load to build, giving me one load for ever two cars.

My time the last three weeks has been spent ballasting and cleaning track, making and planting trees, building backdrop, running trains and thinking about car movements and operations. That got me motivated to work on flat car loads.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  7:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look good, Mike.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  8:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

They look good, Mike.

George

Thank you, George.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking loads, Mike. Are they solid boards or is it "hollow" in the middle to save material?

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Good looking loads, Mike. Are they solid boards or is it "hollow" in the middle to save material?

Chuck

Thank you, Chuck. They are hollow. Half the material, twice the work.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, those are great looking lumber loads on your flatcars.

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, nice lumber loads.
I agree with you about that method of making a hollow load: "Half the material, twice the work".

One alternate I tried that worked ok was to use solid blocks of wood cut to appropriate sizes. Small pieces of strip wood added the spacers between stacks.

The visible sides, tops and ends were scribed with a razor saw. In the second photo the sawblade is not vertical. The upper end is tilted away from the camera so that the scribed lines would be closer together to look more like dimensional lumber instead of timbers.I used a bigger sawblade with wider spacind teeth for scribing the tops of the stacks.

The blade also stayed lightly pressed down against the work table so the multiple scribed lines all would run in the same place each pass.
On the visible ends I also made numerous little vertical lines with the tip of a #11 blade to represent individaul boards lying next to each other. That worked pretty well.

Then I used colored pencils and a very fine tip, archival marker (Prismacolor) to make the solid blocks appear to be stacks of individual boards. The pencils add the orangey and gray coloring to look like Douglas fir. Dots with the marker made knots. Very dilute India ink add the gray weathering. The coloring hides the grain and does an effective job of camouflaging the fact the the stacks are really solid blocks of wood.

I used pieces of maple because that's what was avaialble at the moment. It was hard and hard to scribe visible lines. Pine, poplar, etc. would work as well and be easier to scribe. Still, making that flatcar load went a lot faster than constructing the hollow load I made for another car.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/11/2020 2:51:24 PM

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  12:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I like the flat car loads. Love the flat cars!

Bill,
Thanks for posting your technique. I plan on trying this.
Your lumber loads turned out nice as well.

Scott

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are great looking loads, Mike.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  3:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the nice comments, Greg, Bill, Scott and Bruce.

Bill, thatís a good idea. Iíll store it away in my virtual database (my head) for future reference. Unfortunately, the boards were generally not so neatly piled in the period I model. In fact, I have to be careful not to pile my lumber too regularly.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  3:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I completed another lumber load, this time to be used with 34í cars, which are a little narrower and obviously longer than the 30í cars. Hereís the new load on a gondola, based on a prototype photo.

The next photos show my roster of cars forest forest products. The first one show two boxcars for lumber, scratchbuilt from data in equipment registers; two drop bottom gondolas used for both coal and lumber; and the low-side gon based on photos, equipment registers and a LV car diagram.

Here are the 30í and a 34í scratchbuilt flat cars and a car for hauling tan bark. Iíve yet to model a load of tan bark.

Iíll work on tanbark in the future. For now, back to building layout.

Mike

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  4:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice batch of cars and excellent work on the loads.

-Cody

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking cars, Mike. It will be interesting to see the tanbark load.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Good looking cars and a fine job of ballasting!

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000