Railroad Line Forums - Why not comment and post?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 217 ]  [ Total: 217 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Why not comment and post?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 5

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why more viewers to a thread do not take the time to comment is a bit of a head scratcher. Then again, we have had threads that denigrated comments just seen as 'atta-boys'.

Still, comments like "I really enjoyed that post", or "Nice Modeling" do indeed give the modeler/poster a boost.

Bruce

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  7:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a sign of the times. Same as text messages and emails. Folks receive them but almost never reply to them.

I had a thread about my layout. But gave up posting because I also never got much feed back. I wasn't looking for folks to swoon over my work. Constructive comments are always welcome. Also I kept fighting with the convoluted system with posting images. So I gave up.

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I read perhaps half of the new RR-Line posts, but as above, I mostly comment when I have something (hopefully productive) to add.

Same here.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  11:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great feedback.

I started ON30 in 2006 and joined this forum; I have gained so many friends and sadly lost some to the great RR club in the sky.

I was contacted off line by a 50 year ON30 modeler because of this post. Yes, ON30 has been around almost longer than I have been alive. He introduced me to a number of other great modelers who I had never met. He asked why I made this post. To be honest I wanted to get the conversation started. I wanted to see if I could get others to post thier work.

I understand no one can respond to every post, that would be too much. I do think that posting a progress picture and asking for help is what this place is really about. Also pushing each other to go futher with our skills is a must.

In the past I have messaged people to ask if they would like suggestions before I make them publically. Almost always it is a yes, I will continue to do that.

Keep up the conversation, it will help the hobby grow.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  06:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive come back to RRLine after some time reading other forums and build threads about the place. A lot of my reading is Blog style that i check in on daily as it gives me a chance to get updates on all different topics in the one place.

Im guilty of glancing over topics and not commenting. It is mainly a lack of time or distraction of a 2 yr old and a 6 week old.

I do get hobby time but the uploading and posting of images ect and keeping that log of works i don't get much time for but have been making an effort lately to do more. I would agree with some of the comments above. I gave up posting on other groups due to lack of conversation. I post things to generate discussion and interact as im in an a country town at the bottom of Australia.

Anyway i Would encourage new members to speak up and ask why, how what on peoples builds ect. I have learnt so many techniques from the greats from this forum.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  08:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Larry, it's definitely an interesting set of responses that came up. I've been watching the replies. At this time, there have been 35 replies vs 725 views. The view number is inflated by the 'bots' that visit the forum. Earlier this week, there was one occasion were there were 325 online 'guests'. One of favorite topics they view is 'cal' and another is 'how to post a picture'.

If I was a spammer, posting 'a picture' ala 'click bait' would make my spamming career much easier.

The members who actually contribute models that they built, find a way to post pictures and look for some level of critique by their peers. Sometimes, there is a 'clinker' there. I can personally attest to that. This Forum is NOT Facebook where clicking 'LIKE' is a mindless event. After all, it is The Railroad-Line Forum

[x] Like!

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  09:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God this isn't Facebook.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  09:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting insights, Jim.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  09:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read most of the build threads in hopes of learning something new. The modeling here is excellent but not all are capable of posting pictures. I am not the only person here who models and would love to post pictures but the forum does not accept pictures direct from Apple products, or at least the IPadPro and I will not host my pictures on a 3rd party site. Others have posted pictures of my work for me but that is not fair to them.

As for comments, I am not the backslapping guy to say great work and IMO it is overdone and is meaningless. When I comment itís because: I have a question, answer a question or because it really demands that I tell the Modellers how great I think the idea or the build is.

Facebook to me is not scary. I buy and sell monthly or more from the Groups there. I belong to a couple Shelf layout groups, I belong to too many special interests groups. There are jerks everywhere, either you ignore them or block them on FB. Donít engage them, that one is tough for me. Posting pictures is the greatest benefit to me for using FaceBook. The only friends on FB for me are family and 2 train buddies that I respect and follow. FB can be as safe as you want it to be, keep up to date on your malware and virus protections, donít read the ads and block the annoying ones. FB is what you allow it to be.

Enjoy your day, happy modelling and good topic Larry.

TomO

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  10:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I comment when I have something to say, and I look at posts when I have the time to spare which is not a lot.

I post progress on my own builds weekly.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, but several million electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one any very, very grateful for the comments that I have received on my build thread. I have learned some new techniques and have been shown things that I did not even see at the time. This only helps me become a better modeler. Was on another forum for a few years but it died out so I switched over to this forum. Also I'm trying to comment more on other peoples work to help motivate them.
Good topic Larry!

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  8:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sort of topic comes up every couple of years, but itís always good to see one again, as it gets the conversation going, about what folks like and donít like about the Forum. The positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

Main one seems to be the issue of posting pictures. Yes itís a pain, as can only load one at a time, and need to modify the script, but not actually hard, just a bit time consuming.
Itís been asked before about updating to some newer platform, but that takes a lot of money and time, and apparently, we would loose all previous threads. Iím no Tech-head, so not really sure.

Also the other problem is we have over 8,000 ďmembersĒ, but always just the same usual 50 suspects, and maybe up 100 actually contribute with builds or comments. Like any club or group, there are always doers, and then the rest. Every day new people join, and are welcomed aboard, and then we never hear from them again. Why

I try to document all my builds, and enjoy the feed-back and encouragement, but would like to see some newer people joining in. This Forum certainly isnít as busy as it was years ago, and will eventually die if we donít contribute. Other ones have.

As for those saying they feel intimidated, so wonít post, as they donít think their skills are as high as others, I say who cares, put it up here anyhow. You may get some bad criticism, but mostly youíll get encouragement to do better. The info here is all free, so study others work, ask questions. The Annual Challenges are the perfect spot, to join in, as they generate a lot of camaraderie. Donít feel intimidated, just join in.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Edited by - robert goslin on 07/12/2020 8:05:41 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  8:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seconding Rob, lurkers are encouraged to pick a likely topic among the 'sticky' threads like those under Model Railroad Construction and post a problem or question there. Or start a new topic about the problem/question, or an interesting resource you found (like mine today about the site describing GE's Pittsfield, MA transformer plant). There are quite a few members who are happy to answer questions and help.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  10:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like there is a common theme of posting pictures. Some don't want to use a 3rd party vendor to do that. That's very understandable because of what "Photo Bucket" did. When I first signed up for the internet with my provider, Frontier Comm. in my area, I discovered they had a free place to build a website. I learned HTML coding and was able to use the ISP, free, to post pictures on forums. Don't know if all providers do that, but it might be interesting to find out. Next I found FREE photo editing software that is almost as powerful as Photoshop. I still use now to enhance my pictures, it's called PhotoScape. My next step was building a website. Mine is not free. The provider is PowWeb. Yes it costs but I don't have any hassles with 3rd party vendors.

I've also settled in on this forum over the years and enjoy the members on it both close and across the world. I've made some great friends here and have met a few personally. As others I try to post on the threads I follow. Some times it's overwhelming when you come back from a vacation and find over 60 posts and you try to read each one. Does take a bit of time. I do follow one other forum, MRH, but don't find it as productive in model building as this forum. They are more interested in operations and the high tech to run your layout.

I some times wonder in if my posts scare some people with the tools I use. I try to explain as best I can on how I proceed to get to a finished build. I'll close by saying I'll have many pictures to post as I proceed with my projects. Now all I have to do is find the time for them in between the "honey do" list.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  2:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Facebook Wow what can I say I have used it for Selling. I wish it was easy Posting pictures Here if I haven't posted pictures in a long time.... it takes me time to get the hang of it again. Westlake publishing forums and MRH I use and check in often. I'm not much on Atta-boys on here most of the time I just sign in and see what's going on

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000