Railroad Line Forums - Why not comment and post?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 219 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Why not comment and post?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 5

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  9:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that that some people make a comment and the builder never acknowledges them.

So they stop making comments and just take a look but never comment again!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

I've noticed that that some people make a comment and the builder never acknowledges them.

I might be guilty, as I always do a general thank you all for visiting for those who leave a general comment. I try to answer questions or specific comments. More a thought to not leave a bunch of quote comments that add pages to the thread.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:

I might be guilty, as I always do a general thank you all for visiting for those who leave a general comment. I try to answer questions or specific comments. More a thought to not leave a bunch of quote comments that add pages to the thread.

What I usually do if 4 or more comment I just answer them by name but all in one post. Instead of answering each one.

Your right it takes up pages of comments an no pictures.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hear ya Jerry! Plenty of that right now in the On30 forum. Were invisible!
Philip

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
will ask a friend to join now.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  7:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a airchair modeler so I cant comment.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

I'm a airchair modeler so I cant comment.

You just did!!!

Jerry

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  9:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic has been covered several times in the past. The biggest turn off to a poster with supplied photos, and receives little or no ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, IS A BIG TURN OFF. Plus the level of skill by the seasoned builders on this forum can be very intimidating to beginners.

The master builders, need to continue to support and encourage the newbies. As I was encouraged by my many questions being answered, by the consistent members. This forum is still one of the best facilities to learn how to build, wire, paint,and weather structures. Not to mention upgrading engines, with sound kits, lights, couplers, etc. And all the aspects involved in model railroading'...

So let's take a minute to comment on the posts that we've had enough interest to look at'..:D]

Ted

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  11:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the aspects. Including research. It's what really sets this website apart.

I LOVE the Early Rail forum here.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking at the numbers I see 474 views on this thread. What does that say about readers?

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a layout design thread on here for the past 6 years, and in that time it received 140,576 views, but very few comments except from a very small group of dedicated followers. Although my view numbers were going up, I was getting discouraged with how little feedback I was receiving, so I stopped updating it two years ago and moved on. Since then, I had quite a few people contact me asking why I don't post here any more because they just loved my thread on this forum.

So for all the people that say you have nothing to contribute to a thread on here, just remember that comments equal encouragement for a poster to continue. And without that encouragement you might just lose a thread that you really like. So please support those people that still post here if you want to see the thread continued, because it is too late once it is gone.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, I commented on your posts only where I thought I saw an opportunity or flaw worth mentioning. You've done a lot more track plans than I, and in many cases the conversation was between you and someone you were designing for (effectively a client). I tried not to jiggle your elbow. But I did read pretty much everything you posted, sorry if my interest wasn't clear.

In my own case, I model away on my Eastern Route thread. A few members comment fairly frequently, more read and some visits are via links I post elsewhere. But mostly I'm doing it to document my progress to myself (yes, I link to my old sub-threads so I can easily review my old 'notes to self').

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

I was actually including you in the "group of dedicated followers" ... you were part of the group that kept me going for as long as I did ... and I appreciate that at the time and still do.

Take care,
Rob.

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet

looking at the numbers I see 474 views on this thread. What does that say about readers?

I don't think a raw count tells much, unless it actually counts unique addresses reading the post?

I suspect the counter just counts a read on the post whenever someone reads it a second or third time after new posts have been added since they read it last.

Not sure what it all means tho, and I could well be wrong.

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

So for all the people that say you have nothing to contribute to a thread on here, just remember that comments equal encouragement for a poster to continue. And without that encouragement you might just lose a thread that you really like.

Thank you for that insight. I'd never looked at it from that point of view.

I'm sort of new here, but I had noticed that some threads have their core groups of followers. I kind of assumed it was sort of like little cliques or clubs, as many forums have one or more unofficial "groups within a group." I just figured it would take time to fall into a group.

I hope I get to be with the cool kids.

Seriously tho, I hadn't looked at it from that view. So I think going forward, in appreciation of the posters, I will make more of an effort to acknowledge the posts that impress me, or teach me something, make me laugh, or have photos I just love to foam over.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000