Railroad Line Forums - Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 239 ]  [ Total: 244 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad
Page: of 16

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  08:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At last! Some scenery!!!!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

At last! Some scenery!!!!

Where are the RR-Line's sarcasm police?

George

Fly Army

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  8:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a break from layout building to build this ice station for the layout. It was part of the Choices Challenge and I detailed the build here, http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53480

Now I'm back to working on the layout. I've been running some switching operations and I've been using pointed bamboo skewers for uncoupling. I found myself leaning on my elbows to steady my hands while uncoupling the cars. I suddenly realized this wouldn't work once scenery was down, so I needed to look at some other method. For a number of years I've been playing with magnets for uncoupling Kadee couplers. My experiences have ranged from Kadee under the track magnets on a Timesaver layout to movable magnets that I wrote about in the December 2010 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. The under track magnets have to be installed as track is being laid too late for that. The movable magnets that I wrote about were better suited for permanent layouts and also had to be installed before track was laid. My friend Chuck Davis wrote an article in the November 2008 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman about using cylindrical neodymium magnets mounted between the ties. I've seen his clinic and been to his layout and saw how they worked. I've also experimented with them.

I dug out my old piece of test track and started playing with cylindrical magnets again. Specifically 1/8 diameter and 3/8 long magnets. I placed some magnets in some old holes I had in the test track base. These were mounted vertically between the ties inside the rails. It worked, but it's weak and doesn't always pull the Kadee glad arm out far enough to uncouple the cars. I also tried placing them outside the rails, which didn't work. For what it's worth I'm using N52 magnets, the strongest that you can get.

I decided to try to boost the power of the inside the rail magnets by mounting a second one outside the rail. That increased the magnetic field enough to get reliable uncoupling.

This first picture shows a coupler pulled to the side by one magnet inside the rails. The magnets are hard to see and will, hopefully be more difficult when painted the same color as the ballast. The magnets are at the same level as the ties.

This pictures shows two magnets, one on each side of the rail. Here, the coupler pin is being pulled over the rail.

One set of magnets are fine, but require very precise movement to get the couplers directly over the magnets. Several sets will be required. Further testing will decide that number.

George

Fly Army

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  07:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking building! Good luck with the magnets.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  08:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep us posted on your magnet experiments, George.

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,

North to South, South to North, noticing any drag or lift on the metal wheels? Next you'll be doing MAGLEV on that neat project.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  09:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in, Mike, Bruce and Jim.

Jim, no problems with metal wheels, which all my cars have. The problem can be with steel weights, particularly the big weights on Athern Blue Box cars. On my Timesaver layout with Kadee under the track magnets the center of the cars would be drawn over the magnet, making it impossible to uncouple. I've replaced the weights with a sheet of styrene for aesthetics and put lead inside for weight.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000