Railroad Line Forums - Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 248 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout
Page: of 14

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  08:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very neatly done, George. I don’t think you will have alignment issues with your engineering.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That arrangement should allow for good alignment and electrical connection, George. Nicely designed!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike nd Bruce. I picked up a lot of the alignment ideas from the internet.

Thanks for your comments, Mike Goad. I have a life, you know, yard work, running errands, bike rides, naps... 4 months isn't bad.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  09:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should take a lesson from me on how to make good time on your layout. My layout is about 32 sq. ft. and after a mere 14 years I only have a couple sq. ft. to go!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been messing with rerailer design and construction. When a train enters the layout from a cassette, I want to make sure all the cars are on the track. I've seen pictures of cassettes with rerailers, but had to work out the dimensions and shape I needed. I've cobbled one that works on my test cassette.

The first problem was the thickness of the styrene. It was immediately apparent that I was going to need two layers, one between the ties and the top layer on the sides. The ties work out to be about 0.030” high, so I had to make the base layer out of that. The side pieces are 0.040”, which is just below the rail head of the code 70 rail, so that's the top layer piece.

This is the working model.

The center piece between the rail is two layers high, one 0.030” thick and one 0.040”. It sticks up above the rails slightly, but not enough to hit the Kadee glad arm. The glad arms on the test boxcar have been set to the correct height by the Kadee gauge. The final center piece will be shorter.

Something new are the little angled pieces coming from the pins at the end of the cassette. Those are pieces of code 70 rail soldered into the pins. I used my resistance soldering unit for that. They make moving the pins in and out of the tubes very easy. A hidden design feature is the that pieces of styrene on the sides of the rerailer prevent the pins from coming all the way out. OK, it was dumb luck.

I also had to design and make a rerailer for putting cars on the cassette. The design is based on a commercial one I have. I want to load the cars on to the end of the cassette. The one I have won't fit between the two connecting pieces on each side of the cassette. Additionally, I wanted the piece to fit down between the rails, the commercial one doesn't do that. This is made of 0.040” styrene and cut on my Cricut cutter. OK, the Cricut won't cut all the way through 0.040” styrene. It did the layout work by scribing all the cut lines on the styrene and it was a simple matter of snapping along those lines. The smaller cuts were worked with a #11 blade.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slick!

Take the red pill

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  5:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nifty!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  8:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim and Carl.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great design work George.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  01:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress George. I like your set up for aligning the cassettes, and the re-railer looks excellent.
I have one of the commercial ones, and they sure do make life easier.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd and Robert.

I plan to put low sides on the cassettes to prevent cars from falling off when moving them around. When they are in place, it will be difficult to fit my fingers around the cars to place them on the track. The rerailers will be the only way to load the cassettes.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  08:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George,

Smart thinking on the rerailers. I’m sure they will save you a lot of headaches.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  11:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,

Just read this entire thread. Like others, I love watching your problem solving. Please keep posting.

Dave

Page: of 14 Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000