Railroad Line Forums - Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 247 ]  [ Total: 251 ]  [ Newest Member: Maurice ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CNR Blackwater division Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout
Page: of 14

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  11:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I know about those floors from my days with a module club. I'm going to need at least 4" and my adjustment screws won't give me that. Making an addition to the legs won't be that difficult.

George

Edited by - George D on 10/30/2020 11:38:54 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  09:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have a very interesting project going on here, George.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  09:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

You have a very interesting project going on here, George.

Frustrating might be a better description.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are those 2x2 legs George? I'm surprised they don't warp...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  11:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When we took the Sundance Central to our first Narrow Gauge Convention it was at a Holiday Inn in Portland, ME. The layout room was the old underground parking garage. You can imagine how undulating the floor was with the high spots and drainage grates. We scrounged for everything we could find to make the layout level since we don’t have levelers.

I like your idea for leg levelers. Are those threaded eye bolts?

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/31/2020 11:40:51 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  12:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl I found some straight 2x4's that had been sitting in my garage for years and ripped them into 2x2's. I hope they don't warp.

Frank, in the past I've used carriage bolts for adjustments. I saw the eye bolt idea somewhere on the internet. It's easy to adjust with a screwdriver through the loop.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  4:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've stayed with the idea of a curved backdrop. I don't like corners in pictures. Here's what the aborted attempt to use Sinstra looked like.

I searched the internet and decided to try Masonite, or “tempered hardboard'. The sales associate at the local big box store gave me a blank look when I asked about Masonite. By the way, the backdrop is 18” high.

To curve the corners, I made a clamping frame on some saw horses. I wet the back of the Masonite with a very wet sponge, over and over while trying to force it into a curve. I got it to curve in the frame, but it was under a lot of pressure, so I decided to make some cuts on the back to relieve some of the pressure. I put a new blade in my Stanley knife and made six passes for each cut. The cuts are about 1/2” apart. I added more water and this relieved a lot of the pressure on the curve. I made the cuts on the other end before I wet it and then bent the tempered hardboard. There was a lot of water added and bending pressure made, but that went easier.

I glued 1”x3” boards to the back and screwed them to the layout frame.

I have seams in the Masonite at both ends of the layout that need to be cleaned up before I paint it. I haven't decided how I'm going to finish the backdrop, but I have tons of things to do before I have to finish it. Right now it's sitting on a pair of sawhorses in the garage. The layout is easier to work on with the backdrop off.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the Masonite George. What do those young whippersnappers know about it, lucky he didn't offer you pegboard and wood filler. I went looking for a tack hammer at Lowes, and the gal handed me a hatchet. Must have thought I said 'attack' hammer.

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  6:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat trick on that curved backdrop. Looks good.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  6:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I applaud your perseverance George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  8:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim and Bernd.

Carl, what else are you going to do during Covid?

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  10:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, what thickness is your hardboard? I have been able to bend 1/8" hardboard to radii in the 15" - 18" range without using water. I haven't tried bending 1/4" hardboard - it seems much more rigid than I'd need in a backdrop.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  11:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's 1/8", James.

George

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  11:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good George.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  07:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress George!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: CNR Blackwater division Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000