Railroad Line Forums - Walthers Brick Kilns, etc
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 219 ]  [ Total: 219 ]  [ Newest Member: volare71 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Walthers Brick Kilns, etc
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sheepscot Red Herring Packing Build Topic Next Topic: Letterbashing  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  7:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning a small brickworks for the corner under the stairs.

I got the Walthers brick kiln kit (and I have some other kilns put away somewhere), but the Walthers kit with their details will go to the front edge of the scene.

I have mixed feelings about the kit. They're really designed for more modern gas fired setup, but they say you can not use the gas piping and add the chimney for a coal fired kiln. The main body of the kiln is assembled from 14 segments. The segments fit together pretty well, but I think it would have been MUCH better if the body was a single casting, or at most 2 castings. There are too many partlines/assembly points.

Anyway, the big step in converting to coal is to plug the hole in each segment for the gas burner pipeline. I drilled out that hole to 1/16 and then inserted a little piece of Evergreen 1/16 rod.

You can also see the piece of styrene I used to hold the bricked-up loading door. I used a little drop of Testors tube glue at each wall segment boundary, to provide a stronger bond.

Then I spray painted the styrene strips and the clamps, etc, basically all the ironwork. I'm using Vallejo panzer grey primer, which makes a good iron base. Then I oversprayed that lightly with a rust color. The airbrush spritzed a bit, which for once was a helpful effect.

While that dried, I primed the brick walls Vallejo red-brown, a dark brick color.

You can see the lighter orange color of the plastic on the inside.

After that cured, I spot-painted a couple of bricks. I probably should have done more, but that does get tedious. Then I slightly thinned some white gouache (artist opaque watercolor paint) and used that as the mortar wash. I applied increasingly thicker coats until I got the mortar definition I wanted. I'm surprised to note that most of the kiln photos I found on the Internet had obvious white mortar lines, so I duplicated that.

I primed the "lid" a neutral grey, and then applied washes. I'm not quite sure what the material is on prototype kilns, it looks like a weathered concrete on several examples. So that was the look I was aiming for.

You have to do all the brick coloring before you can apply the metal hardware.

There's a curved brace that goes between the two iron door posts. I drilled them out with a #67 bit so the styrene piece would fit easily in the hole. Then I glued one brace in place, threaded the rod, and added the other brace. I put a little dollop of glue on each side of the rod and moved it back and forth in the holes to cement the rod in place.

Then I started on the iron bands. I'm using "Super Phatic" glue for this, that adhesive has a good bond on top of the paint. I laid down one strip, making sure both ends had a good amount of glue, and added a clamp. Then I worked the other side's strip, removing and resetting the clamp so there's an equal amount of space between the strip ends on each side. That's where the strip clamps will go.

So that's the first full day's work. Painting, rough assembly (also the chimney, which I'll show tomorrow), and I started on the iron bands on the first of the 2 kilns.

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  8:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea for making these for the foreground, Dave. I am surprised there are 14 pieces to make one round base. Sheesh. But, it is looking good.

Not sure this will help you, any, but here are the brick kilns on Tony Koester's layout.

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  8:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the kilns sitting on location.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  9:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice job on the kilns Dave.

Bob

It's only make-believe

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  10:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Kilns,

I had no idea of the size of brick works and the amount of brick that traveled by rail until a few weeks ago. They make a very visual impacting scene.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  10:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those two kilns look like simple circular pieces with lids on top. I had no idea they were made up of 14 pieces. They had to test your knowledge of clamping techniques.

George

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/14/2020 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project. Looks good.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2020 :  09:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least in the 19th/early 20th century, bricks were often moved in stock cars off-season. That provided a good load for the otherwise unused stock cars, and of course the rain (and poop :-) ) won't hurt the bricks.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2020 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking nice, Dave. You’re getting lots of practice coloring brick.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2020 :  8:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The challenge is clamping the lower bands.

I used a wood 'caul' to hold the band in place, and then those fairly deep throat clamps to hold the caul to the model. Not the best, but it worked. Maybe I should have used instant bond CA, but I figured I needed the working time to get the bands in correct alignment.

But I did use CA for the band clamps.

This just needs some paint touch-up, final weathering and a good coat of Dullcote to take away the shine from the CA.

The next building for this scene should be here mid-week.

dave

Previous Topic: Sheepscot Red Herring Packing Build Topic Next Topic: Letterbashing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000