Railroad Line Forums - FSM Jacobs Fuel Co - An old one still on the shelf
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 301 ]  [ Total: 305 ]  [ Newest Member: Canyon man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FSM Jacobs Fuel Co - An old one still on the shelf
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Grandt Line NBW? Topic Next Topic: SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build
Page: of 2

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  08:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adrian,

Tar paper is appropriate for flat or gabled roofs. Shingles, tar paper and raised seam metal are all appropriate for the gabled roof and would look good. The metal would not be copper. It would be painted black, red or green.

I would have a hard time deciding if it were my model. Id probably opt for tar paper.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  09:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the detailing you've done on this.

For what it's worth, I replaced the FSM kit shingles with slate shingles on both the main structure and the shed roof. That was probably overkill on the shed roof. My rationale was that wood shingles could be a bit of a fire hazard, and there's a slate quarry on the line so everyone should be a customer :-) :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/12/2020 10:11:24 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scenery base is looking good, Adrian. Your efforts are paying off.

Bruce

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike,

My thoughts hesitation for the metal roof at the moment is the lower angle above the upper window. But i know from modern roofing we install them on anything greater than 5deg pitch. Lower than that causes a wicking effect back up the corrugations when it rains.

Dave, I changed the kit shingles out for rusty stumps ones if i recall (was a long time ago now). Its a good observation about the fire risk of wood though. Would make a nice fire if something like this went up in flames. I notice the conveyor supports on yours don't have the bunker. Any thoughts behind this? I had a feeling they were too close to the track for me.

Im interested to know what the difference in tarpaper coloring comes from? is it just painting or actually to do with the material. We dont use it in Australia that i know of so im not familiar with the varieties at all. Im thinking i can use carson paper from the art store and get back into this build if i use tarpaper

I think i managed to blend in those lines in the scenery base.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Edited by - adrian_batey on 07/12/2020 6:57:31 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  7:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adrian,

That almost flat roof you mention is what would cause me to use something other than metal. But, one can be too particular.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  8:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually moved the conveyor to the other side of the main structure, and did some other changes to get it to fit my location. I also used Tichy NBWs instead of the FSM ones.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  02:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah i did make a start on the NBW on the supports. That was before the last build of this got knocked to the floor!!!!

I had to re build all of it but haven't decided if i do all the NBW or just what would be layout front. At one time i had planned it to be a long liner structure with the conveyor entering the end. Makes a nice view break that way for a back drop.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A very impressive bit of work. Well Done!
I'm glad you decided to finish the project and post on the forum!

David Guffey

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Grandt Line NBW? Topic Next Topic: SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000