Railroad Line Forums - Rslaserkits HO Scale Saw Filers Shack #2018
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 268 ]  [ Total: 268 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rslaserkits HO Scale Saw Filers Shack #2018
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for Shenandoah Crossing Plans Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives
Page: of 6

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  5:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Saw Filers Shack, HO Kit #2018 from Rslaserkits, is a great looking and very well laser cut structure. In my option this is a very moderately priced kit for the quality of wooden windows, and the fact that they can be opened in any configuration.
Whether you have a logging layout or not, this kit could very well be used as a florist shop, a carpenters shop, machine shop or any other structure that could benefit from all the lighting from the abundance of windows.
After reading through the instructions, it is apparent that most of the time is used to get the windows looking at their best, and the rest of the structure goes together quite quickly and easily.
Below are pictures of the package, with the parts that come within the kit.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  05:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, another great build coming up then. Looking forward to it.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  08:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like youíre going to have more fun a-buildiní, Louis. Iím wondering what colors you will paint it. Same as your scratchbuilt version?

Mike

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Hi Louis, another great build coming up then. Looking forward to it.

Thank you Rob for posting your comment, and following along.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looks like youíre going to have more fun a-buildiní, Louis. Iím wondering what colors you will paint it. Same as your scratchbuilt version?

Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for your comments, and I'll be painting this one hunter green with white trim. This one will be mounted onto logging disconnects, so it can be mobile and seen by visitors. The scratch built one is tucked away in the woods.

Louis

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like another interesting Louventure Iím store. Pull up an iced tea and sit back.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Sounds like another interesting Louventure Iím store. Pull up an iced tea and sit back.

Always glad to have you along.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, after building your first one of these, I think you could probably build this next one blind folded.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  7:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg! Doing the first may have made this one easier going, but far from doing it blindfolded

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  9:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This build is continued from my Louís Saw Filers Shack scratch build, of this same kit seen here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52820
Moved here to the Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner for a demonstration build of the Rslaser HO scale kit #2018.
As the instructions suggest, painting or staining the structure walls, and window parts are best done while still in their wooden laser cut sheets. Also, painting both sides of the wooden structure parts will lessen any chance of warping. Or, after the paint dries any sign of warping can be cured by placing the structure walls on a flat surface and under a weight for a time. I started by removing all the window plugs before painting with a sharp hobby knife blade. Most all of the plugs easily fell out on their own with a slight push, very few needed cutting. As seen in the picture below, I used a Micro-Mark Super Grip Scalpel for super fine cuts. From the backside of the window sheet you need to carefully score the adhesive backing to remove the plugs from the window frames, while still leaving the adhesive backer attached to the window frame parts. The windows were then painted on only the front side, leaving the adhesive backing unpainted.
Pictures below show the painted structure parts in gray primer, doors, door frames and window frame sections in white. Once the parts are removed from the wooden laser cut sheets some touchup painting may be required.
The last picture shows the structure walls top color, painted over the primer paint, using Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Hunter Green.
Note: My doors will be in the closed position, so the door plugs remain within the structure walls. If you want to have your doors in an opened position, then cut out the door plugs for later positioning.

Louis

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  10:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, Hunter Green looks good. Also looks like you might have done an A/I wash before (or after) it's application?? Nice touch at any rate.

Horton M.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandman

Louis, Hunter Green looks good. Also looks like you might have done an A/I wash before (or after) it's application?? Nice touch at any rate.

Horton M.

Thanks Horton. Right now at the moment, the green is just the color over the grey primer as seen in the picture. After I put the structure together, I will apply a leather dye and denatured alcohol mixture over the green.
Thanks for your comment and posting.

Louis

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  1:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll always get a or two from here for green

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another project? You do know it's almost summer, right? What are you going to do this coming winter?

Ok, all kidding aside. I'll be following along since I'm interested in the logging industry.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  6:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

You'll always get a or two from here for green

Thanks Karl! I was on the fence with barn red or the hunter green. I'm thinking I did alright using the green color.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  6:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Another project? You do know it's almost summer, right? What are you going to do this coming winter?

Ok, all kidding aside. I'll be following along since I'm interested in the logging industry.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I hope I can continue your interest in logging. Also, I enjoy having you posting and following along as always.
I've still got many shelf kits from years of hording to still get me through the winter.

Louis

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Looking for Shenandoah Crossing Plans Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000