Railroad Line Forums - Stripwood cutter?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Stripwood cutter?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CentralPneumatic Air Eraser Kit Topic Next Topic: Manual Powered Sander
Page: of 2

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  6:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Micro Mark offers this tool:

https://www.micromark.com/Wood-Strip-Cutter

There are no reviews, and it looks a little rinky-dink to me. Looks can be deceiving tho.

Has anybody used this? How thin of strips do you think it would be reasonable for me to expect with them? I guess I'm asking is this a worthwhile product or should I just skip it and order Kappler stuff instead?

There are no hobby shops near me, but I can buy basswood and balsa at Hobby Lobby or the hardware store.

Thanks in advance

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  7:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve never used it, but Iím sure there are some uses for this tool.

Nevertheless, there is one big limitation: there are only a few different thicknesses of sheet stock available. Youíre not going to be able to get the smaller sizes of scale lumber. And it will not be as accurate nor give consistent board widths over time.

I just donít think itís a good use of hobby time.

Mike

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  7:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one but don't use it much as I have a miniature table saw. It works fine on balsa, and just fair on bass wood. The main problem is that the blade can have a tendency to want to follow the grain of the wood, rather than follow a straight line. It works better on shorter pieces. It might work ok on cardboard or perhaps styrene.

Reg Barron

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  9:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Reg and Mike are right in there replies. For me the same pain was what Reg said, that the blade does have a tendency to follow the grain of the Bass wood, walking away from your intended line, rather than following a straight cut line. I also got a small table saw, but at times just use a Fiskars SureCut Portable Trimmer for the thinner strip wood sheets.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  09:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a 7 minute video by Marklin of Sweden where he makes a simple tool for
cutting strips from balsa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mlTawqIkU

It might give you some ideas for a homemade cutter.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 05/30/2020 09:30:20 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Here's a 7 minute video by Marklin of Sweden where he makes a simple tool for
cutting strips from balsa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mlTawqIkU

It might give you some ideas for a homemade cutter.

I like it!

Here is another way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1ZR9g9W2M

Louis

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  1:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it too! And he answered my question about how thin can I go. With balsa at least. .4mm is about 2 and a half scale inches in N, so if nothing else I may be able to make my own cross bracing for a wooden trestle. I think I'm going to build one or two of those cutters and see how I like it. I think I may try using styrene instead of balsa for the spacers that hold the blade up.

I like it better than the idea of making a copy of the Micro Mark one. Razor blades are cheap.

Thanks for all the replys, gents! I haven't been here all that long, but I really love how helpful this forum is.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  1:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faire to Midland

I like it too! And he answered my question about how thin can I go. With balsa at least. .4mm is about 2 and a half scale inches in N, so if nothing else I may be able to make my own cross bracing for a wooden trestle. I think I'm going to build one or two of those cutters and see how I like it. I think I may try using styrene instead of balsa for the spacers that hold the blade up.

I like it better than the idea of making a copy of the Micro Mark one. Razor blades are cheap.

Thanks for all the replys, gents! I haven't been here all that long, but I really love how helpful this forum is.

Help you will find around here for sure. I found this place many years ago, and never went anywhere else. The membership is top notch.

I like your idea of using styrene instead of the balsa spacers as well. I'm sure it would be more reliable. Good luck with your build. Post back when you build one.

Louis

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  2:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one, and rarely use it and then only on Balsa.

Bruce

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2020 :  3:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this tool and have used it on Balsa and cardstock. If it's placed on a good sized piece of board and the blade is adjusted just right it works perfect. It is like anything else, a little practice pays off. I don't recommend for Bass, but for balsa it's fine. Just cut slow and gentle, a few swipes and you are there'...

Ted

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  3:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, I made one like Marklin of Sweden's. For me, it was a fail. The blade flexes so much the stripwood comes out any way it wants to. It follows the grain, it pushes the blade out of the way, goes wherever it wants. I've cut a lot of strips at different speeds trying to get a "feel" for it, but to no avail. Before I give up on this tho, I think I will build another with the blade opening less than an eighth of an inch. Less room for the blade to flex.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  7:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you would like the actual strip cutter. They work fine if patience is used and the blade is adjusted correctly'...

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Faire to Midland, That's disappointing.
Like you said, maybe if the opening is a fair amount narrower
it could work for clapboards and similar strips

Edited by - Bill Gill on 06/04/2020 4:29:22 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one that member Dave Mason made awhile back. See here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28811

Louis

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  08:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to make one using rotatory cutting razor type blades. I have the blades but never got further. Needed spacers of the correct width.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2020 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Stumps

I was going to make one using rotatory cutting razor type blades. I have the blades but never got further. Needed spacers of the correct width.

Thanks for posting that Lou. Just like the MM item, it only works good in balsa, otherwise it follows the grain. Only use it rarely, normally a small tablesaw as most of my stripwood is basswood and too hard for the knife to cut straight. A rotary cutter would be a better chicoe and less likely to follow the grain. Guess I'll wait and see how Walt does it.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: CentralPneumatic Air Eraser Kit Topic Next Topic: Manual Powered Sander  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000