Railroad Line Forums - Model Putty or Light Hydrocal Plaster to Fill Gap?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 210 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Model Putty or Light Hydrocal Plaster to Fill Gap?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for pipe fittings? Topic Next Topic: Building Campbells Oil Derrick  

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  05:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am expanding a diorama and need to fill in along a 20" long space between the main base and the new extension's base. There is a linear, though irregular, gap between the two pieces that range from 1/8" to 1/4" wide in places that I must fill in. (The base heights are 1/2" tall.) The two bases are Locktite glued on top of Foamboard. Am considering filling the gap with either Modeling Putty or Light Hydrocal Plaster.
Would one product be better than the other for filling this gap? Why?

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  06:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would fill the gap with the same foam that the bases are made of first. The apply the hydrocal on the surfaces.

I would not trust the hydrocal alone as a joint filler could flex and crack when the sections are inevitably leaned on.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  07:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about using the 'non expanding' Great Stuff Windows and Doors foam in a can? Use it to fill-in between the two. After a day of drying, shave it even. Then paint, ballast, whatever, like it was the rest of the foam you're using. Here's a little tip, That Great Stuff applicator is a sticky mess after you use it. If you let it dry, the rest of the can is useless. So, run a little lacquer thinner through that screw-on applicator. The foam will dissolve and wipe clean. Turn the can upside down and dunk the nozzle on top of the can into a little lacquer thinner and it will wash out that small amount of foam left in the nozzle. About 4 OZ of lacquer thinner is enough to save the Great Stuff for reuse.

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  09:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't go wrong using Sculptamold, if you've never used it before, it is a dry, white, non-toxic compound that combines the best features of clay, plaster, and paper mache, it does not shrink, and is durable for diorama use, all model railway scenery use. Just add water to dry mix Sculptamold. Mix together and it sets in 30 minutes. Then apply your ground cover as usual.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For modelers putty, I really like the Vallejo product. But for filling your gap, I'd suggest the old classic, Durham's Water Putty.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  09:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

How about using the 'non expanding' Great Stuff Windows and Doors foam in a can? Use it to fill-in between the two. After a day of drying, shave it even. Then paint, ballast, whatever, like it was the rest of the foam you're using. Here's a little tip, That Great Stuff applicator is a sticky mess after you use it. If you let it dry, the rest of the can is useless. So, run a little lacquer thinner through that screw-on applicator. The foam will dissolve and wipe clean. Turn the can upside down and dunk the nozzle on top of the can into a little lacquer thinner and it will wash out that small amount of foam left in the nozzle. About 4 OZ of lacquer thinner is enough to save the Great Stuff for reuse.

Jim

The above is what I used, worked great.

TomO

Jbarsie
New Hire

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would recommend painters caulk. it more flexible than hydrocal and sculptamold. It'll fill 1/4" gaps no problem. Much less likely to crack.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  12:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the caulk, be sure to find a PAINTABLE variety for best results.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stuff small pieces of tissue or paper towels into the gap.

I then wet the tissue pieces and apply a thin coat of plaster.

After it dries, I paint it an earth color and sprinkle on some fine dirt.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jbarsie

I would recommend painters caulk. it more flexible than hydrocal and sculptamold. It'll fill 1/4" gaps no problem. Much less likely to crack.

I agree with John!
Way easier to apply as well, just point your caulking gun into the gap and filler up.

Greg Shinnie

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  11:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone! I will study all these good suggestions.

Previous Topic: Looking for pipe fittings? Topic Next Topic: Building Campbells Oil Derrick  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000