Railroad Line Forums - Belt/disc sander
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Belt/disc sander
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Shop safety Topic Next Topic: Chuck that Dremel  

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  11:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here bought or used to benchtop belt/disc sander from micromark? Thinking to venturing into some power tools to make my life easier. I'm down to that or the small cutoff saw......
Thanks
Rick

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, the #1 power tool I use most frequently is the variable speed drill press (MicroMark or Proxxon). #2 is the tilt arbor table saw, again MicroMark or Proxxon. I found that most/all powered disk sanders are too aggressive and hard to control. I have the (hand powered) Logan Framing Sander and use that whenever I need to square up or reduce wood, plaster or resin. But more frequently I just use the sandpaper I've glued to a 12" stone (not ceramic) tile, or the 12"x1" sanding sticks I made from sandpaper glued to paint stirrers. Those are the sanders I use most often and they're cheap to make!!

The sandpaper is folded over one long edge, carefully lined up on the other edge (both sides), so there's a 'blind' (no sandpaper) long edge. This allows me to sand close to a right-angle corner.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 05/15/2020 12:26:47 PM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just yesterday received my hand powered Logan f200-2 sander from Amazon for under $150.00, so no idea how I like it yet. There were others but lots more expensive. But like Dave Deemery my most useful sanders are the 1x3x12 boards I created. Experiment before spending big money.

TomO

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  6:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have had a Delta version like this for over 20 years. Best tool ever. Precise angle cuts down to minute fractions.

Frank

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/16/2020 :  7:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I can get a used delta like that one for 50 bucks. Is it worth it?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2020 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It all depends how used. But like I said mine is very old and it still works fine.

Frank

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2020 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess it doesn't matter, the guy sold the delta while I was on the way to buy it. O ly 45 minutes each way wasted..lol

Previous Topic: Shop safety Topic Next Topic: Chuck that Dremel  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000