Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick. That was my thought also; not having the buildings sitting on top of the ground. The only exception will be the pig/chicken barn because I wanted the floor to be dirt so I will apply extra dirt around the building after it has been set in place.

Mike thank you for your comments. After studying the photos some more I realized that the buildings, for whatever reason, were almost all angled except for the garage. As far as the dirt is concerned I'm going to add some more play sand on top to lighten the color up a little. Don't want it too light because the dirt in our area is actually more on the dark side. Also I'm going to "sprinkle" some fine grey ballast over the entire area to simulate small stones. Yes I hope to have something really realistic and accurate when it's finished that my Grandparents would have been proud of; seeing their Farm in miniature.

Thank you Philip; glad you are following along.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, you have come a long way from the start of this diorama, each building has taught you some new tricks, and you are learning quite well. It's looking better and better.

Jim

Take the red pill

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  5:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim thanks for your encouraging words. It puts a smile on my face when other people see that I'm improving. That's how we grow in this hobby.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the progress. Do you need Pigs and Chickens? I think I have some around here and maybe even cows.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry thanks. Yes I could use pigs, chickens, and even some cows if you don't mind parting with them; that would be great. I'll PM you later.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  7:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what my friend is trying to sell.

I could not post in the PM

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  8:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry I just sent you a PM with the details. As long as they are O scale I'll take the whole lot.
Thanks.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  2:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started in the back corner of the diorama with the detailing of the pasture field:

The pasture itself is made up of green scenery material with a layer of brown stones and a layer of grey stones( fine ballast) sprinkled around to tone down the green. The fence posts are made from bamboo sticks cut to length and given 2 coats of A&I. Then each post was drilled out in 2 places to run the fence wire through. Had to drill 32 holes total which was a little tedious but the final look was worth the effort. The fence wire is 24 gauge solid hookup wire which was stripped and coated with a black permanent marker.

The wire was fed through the posts prior to gluing into place. A template was also used for mostly equal spacing of the posts. Holes were made in the foam base with glue applied to the posts which were placed into the holes one by one and all pushed into the foam so that the same amount of post showed above the foam. A few of the posts ended up a little tipped but I've never seen a farm with all straight fence posts.
The gate was made of scale 4x4 posts with 1x6s across the front and back. The whole thing was weathered with A&I. Wanting to have a working gate, I used heavy black thread around the posts to hold them together. It opens and closes quite nicely.

After reading Mike Hohn's post I thought that the dirt was a little too dark so I carefully sprinkled some extra sand over the entire farm yard. Also added grey stones, fine ballast, in the same manner. To me this looks like a "dirty old farm yard" now.
I would like to add a few trees so I guess that I'll have to research how to make your own trees as commercial ones are too expensive. I've never made trees before so this ought to be interesting.
The next step will be to finish the detail work on the pig/chicken barn while I wait for my shipment of farms animals to get here.
That's where I'm at for now. Any comments/suggestion ,especially on making trees, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for following along.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  3:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  7:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start!!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That ground cover is turning out very nice.
Definitely looks like a "dirty old farm yard" to me.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  8:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heck yeah! I can smell it! Those farm animals are super nice. I have a set

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  08:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Larry! Its very realistic.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  11:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry and Jerry thank you for the compliments.

Rick thanks, that was the look that I was going for.

Philip thank you; it's too bad that we don't have "smell-a-vision" that we could use. Nice to hear about the farm animals; I usually don't buy things "sight unseen" but it was such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up.

Mike thank you. If it's looks realistic to others then mission accomplished. Thanks for pointing that out to me about the dirt looking too dark in your earlier post.

Also i found a video online on how to make trees using florist's wire, Modge - Podge, spray adhesive and green flocking. It's looks easy enough so I think that I'll get the materials this week and give it a try and see what happens.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in Geezer's Lounge the first attempt at making a tree was a complete disaster. It was out of proportion and the branches were way too long. Matter of fact I decided not to post a photo because it looked so bad. So last night I used much shorter and half as much wire. Now the wire structure looks more like the one in the video:

There is one item that I couldn't find locally so I order Woodland Scenics Latex Rubber online which is used to coat and hide the wire. When this drys then I'll cut the loops at the end of the branches which the leaves, course ground foam, is glued to. The latex rubber coating will allow me to bend the wire to make any adjustments without damaging the tree. Then I can paint and weather the tree. Hopefully this will turn out much better and then I can make more trees as needed.
Thanks for looking and any advice is welcomed.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000