Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  4:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thank you. That's one of the advantages of being retired; I try to work on the project a little each day if I can.

Thanks Jim. With each new building I think that I'm improving as I get my techniques down. You are right.... you are never too old to learn something new. My suggestion to anyone new to scratch building is just to jump in and do it! It may not turn out the way that you want it to the first time; but like you said "do overs" are ok. That's the best way to learn.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  4:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basic garage build is done with the interior weathered and the outside has been given a wash of light brown with an A&I wash applied over that:

The garage has that old weathered look which seems about right. Even though the photos are black and white the outside of the garage looks like it may have been this way.

This is the inside view. Again it has that well used worn vibe to it.
Still haven't decided on the roof yet. It's either going to be a half roof or no roof at all. The doors, roof, and any interior stuff will be added when I start detailing everything.
Probably the next step will be to make the base for the diorama. The 1 in. pink foam sheet will be painted a light tan color to act as a base color for scenery and also to seal the foam. After placing the barn and silo on the pink foam I decided that it definitely needed to have all that pink covered up straight away. When the buildings have been situated to look like the real thing, then I can build the last two structures to fit the space. The size of the diorama is going to be 29 in. x 24 in. I went back through Carl B's farm thread and his was 20 in x 16 in being done in Ho scale, so my size being done in O scale (1/4 inch) seems to be about right.
That's where I'm at for now and any ideas/comments are welcomed. Thanks for following along.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  4:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job on the weathering.
Definitely looks old and used.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  2:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, glad that it comes across that way. When I am thinking about building finishes I keep reminding myself that this was during the Great Depression when money was scarce and you either used what you had on hand or you went without.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  3:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Farm is starting to come together somewhat. The diorama up ended measuring 30" x 25" and was made from scrap pine and 1" pink foam:

Because this takes up 2/3 of my counter top (desk) I needed a place to store my supplies and still have a place to build. The solution was to elevate the diorama and use the space underneath to store my supplies; this arrangement is working out quite well.

After a few days of studying the photos, moving buildings around, and taking pictures I think that I have come up with the right arrangement. The house is set at an angle to maximize the view into the back corner. Most of the other buildings were set at an angle to give the diorama some interest as opposed to having them being perpendicular to the edges. Even though there is quite a bit of space needing to be filled; the driveway and the dirt around the farm buildings will take up a lot of space.

The building at the back of the barn is the "smokehouse". My Grandfather would smoke his own meat both beef and pork; but mainly pork. Behind that will be a small barn, with pens, for the pigs and chickens. I think there will be room in the back corner to add a "pasture field" with some cows in it.

This is a "birds-eye" view of the Farm. On the backside of the track will be a loading platform to load the milk-cans into the rail car. The front side will have a fence with a large garden in front of that. My Grandmother would "can" anything that didn't move to see them through the winter.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the size of the diorama and the arrangement of the buildings so far. But nothing is set in stone.

That's where I'm at for the moment. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
You are making serious progress. Good stuff.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  5:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Larry. I'm really enjoying this build and seeing the Farm coming to life a little at a time.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the arrangement you’ve come up with. It looks both real and interesting to the eye.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2020 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be a nice diorama.

You going to do the scenery like the first picture snow bound??

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2020 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's coming together very nicely.
Congratulations.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2020 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thank-you. I guess that I'm on the "right track" (pun intended) after all.

Jerry thanks for the kind words. To answer your question: I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Although I probably won't due winter because the barn doors would have to be closed and all the animals would not be outside in their pens or pastures.

Thank you Rick. This build personally means a lot to me and is "tons of fun" besides.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decision of final diorama dimensions is always difficult Larry. I have the same issue on my own projects..

You're doing fine, and learning as you go!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying this build Larry, and echo the others' comments. The best of farms always had some junk piles around the barn or outbildings. Just keep that thought in mind when doing the scenery. Good work so far.

Rich

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  11:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson thanks for the "thumbs up".

Carl B thank you for your encouraging words. The only problem that I had with figuring out the dimensions was to make it big enough to accomplish what I wanted but not be so big that it was overwhelming. Actually I re-read your farm thread which helped me with the final decision; thanks.

Thank you Rich for your kind words. Some of the photos that I have shows piles of "junk" about the farm; so that will definitely be included when I do the scenery. Thanks for the reminder.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000