Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  1:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving right along on the house; so here's what I've done so far.

I decided to do the roofs next just to give the structure a more of a "house feel". The addition on the right side will have a front porch, so I cut the entire roof out of one piece of card stock and scored and bent it for the peak and also the porch.

The roofs are just setting on the building and won't be glued down until after they have had the actual roofing applied and the upper trim work has been done. The house is big enough so that I need photos of each side to see the whole thing. Also I need to fix that upper window pane divider, which I just noticed. Pictures certainly shows you what needs to be fixed or adjusted.

The back addition needs to have the roof adjusted a little bit so that the overhang over the door matches the rest of the house. Noticed it after I took the photos which is an easy fix.

Here's a "birds eye" view of the house. The card is actually from a cereal box which my Wife happily donated to the cause. Next on the list will be the foundation and then the front porch.

Thanks for tagging along and any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by - Larryc on 05/28/2020 1:46:31 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nIce to see another modeler using the Model Builder software program. I've used it to build over 100 structures. Using the same materials you are using. All mapped out in the program. The measurements for windows and doors are spot on...Makes great templates. Nice back story on the farm'.. Enjoy the build' looks very good so far'...

Ted

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted. I find the MB program very helpful on locating windows, doors, etc. But what is really helpful is being able to see the roof lines. With the house there were 3 different pitched roofs which all have different angles so I could make sure that they all still worked together.

Glad you like the build so far; I'm having tons of fun doing this. Thanks for following along.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making good progress Larry.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  12:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s looking good, Larry. Very interesting home with the additions.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  5:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl and Michael for your encouragement. I think the house already had the additions when my Grandparents bought it. During the Depression my Dad said some member of the family or relative was usually living in the back part of the house; which may have been sort of separated from the main part. Also the front door of the house was in the Kitchen which had low ceilings according to a photo that I have.
Thanks for following along guys. More to follow.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/02/2020 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share a quick update. The porch is done, painted and weathered as well as the porch posts. Also the roofing material has been applied to the kitchen roof. The posts are just sitting there, you'll notice the tape on the top of the right one, so I could get some photos to see what it looks like. Glued the porch to the house. Still a little bit more to do on this part and it will be done.

Oh ya, I also added the foundation all around the house and cut a tan print of cement into strips and used grey chalk to make it look right. This was glued to the foam core that I used for the foundation.

The roof was covered with strips of 110# paper which looks like rolled roofing; this was very common in our area. Cut it into strips and lapped it so that 1.5 ft was exposed. Made for a nice 3D effect. The roof on the back will be done the same way. The main part of the house will be tin which I'll need to experiment with to come up with a convincing look.

That's about it for now. Thanks for following along and let me know what you think.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress.
It all looks good.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  10:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry it's looking very good, are you going to add a 'soffit' along that roof line? Even a little would add a bit more realism to the roof. Keep up the good work!

Jim

Take the red pill

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  3:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thanks for your comments.
Michael thank-you. I came across your layout yesterday. Very nice, I'll have check in there from time to time and see how Auburn develops.
Jim thanks. Funny you should mention the soffits. I'm putting in a porch ceiling and will do soffits all around the roof with some of the 110# paper and use tan chalk on it so that it doesn't look too "white" before I glue the roof down. This should give the roofline some thickness to it and I will do this for all of the roofs on the farmhouse.

Edited by - Larryc on 06/03/2020 3:16:40 PM

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  1:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Farmhouse is finished so here are some pics of the building

The trim on the main part of the house was a challenge. Trying to duplicate the Greek Revival look took a lot of time and experimenting. I think that it came out pretty well.
The whole house required 3- 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheets of siding and 4 sheets of roofing. The rolled roofing didn't look quite right; so I used a soft black pencil and went over the nails to look more like tar which is needed to seal the roof. The roof on the main house is attempt #2. The first roof just didn't look right. The second roof was a print of metal roofing that I made more 3D with a simple tool:

This is what I used to make the ribs on the metal roofing. Each rib was placed over the brass wire, 0.04", and was pressed on each side at the same time with the 2 pieces of scrap wood. Then each strip was dusted with white chalk to tone down the color a little. These were then glued to the roof. The roof will have to be tacked down a little from the inside since the white glue may have warped the sub-roof a little; an easy fix.
I'm quite happy with the way that this turned out being my first scratch build in quarter inch scale. The details are about as close as I could get them in this scale. The next project will be drawing up and building the barn and silo. After studying my pictures it looks like the barn has lots of details that should be fun to build. Any comments/ thoughts on the house are welcomed and thanks for looking in.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Looking good. I like your technique for making seemed roofing.

An technique for realistic rolled roofing is to create some vertical lines in the rolled roofing to simulate the ends of a roll. Many rolls were 36' long and 3' wide. I've attached a couple of samples, one from prototype and one from a model. It may enhance the look of the roofing.

Persist and have fun,
Mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thanks for your suggestion on the rolled roofing and providing the examples. I went back through and added seam lines to the rolled roofing. Have to say that it looks much more convincing. It's always nice when someone is willing to share their knowledge.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  6:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larryc

Mike thanks for your suggestion on the rolled roofing and providing the examples. I went back through and added seam lines to the rolled roofing. Have to say that it looks much more convincing. It's always nice when someone is willing to share their knowledge.

I think a lot of us are afraid to suggest alternate approaches for fear of offending someone. I love it when I get comments. I've learned a ton of techniques from fellow modelers on here.

I really like how you are sharing your build and teaching us a few techniques.

Have fun and persist,
Mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000