Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 265 ]  [ Total: 269 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...)
Page: of 19

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  11:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thanks, much appreciated.

Rick looking at the photos again I agree with you about the weed spacing; an easy fix. Thanks.

Mike thank you for your comment.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick had a suggestion about the spacing and size of the weeds in front and on the left side of barn. After looking at the photo again I agreed that it looked too neat. Also I added more weeds around the silo:

I do think that the area does look much better and more natural. Thanks Rick; good eye.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking realistic, Nice work. I like the backdrop too...

Ted

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  5:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted thank you. The backdrop really added a lot to the appearance of the diorama.

Rick thank you and thanks for your suggestion about the weeds. Like I said it was an easy fix which made the area look much better.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plodding right along on the Farm. Since most everything is scratch built I decided might as well do what little track that I needed. Used balsa for the ties, stained, and some HO rail. Ballast was applied with a wetting agent and a 50/50 blend of white glue and water. The milk car will use a HO donor chassis, with trucks, and an O scale car on top that will be a scale 28 ft in length, which I'll build latter.

So now I need a loading platform to get the milk cans, which weigh 100 pounds when full, into the milk car. I attempted to make one from scale 4x4's but it ended being too delicate so I had to rethink the idea. This is what I came up with:

The ramp started out as a piece of pink foam cut to size. The whole thing was covered in scale 1x6's glued in place. Used some diluted raw sienna for the paint which was applied sparingly. The whole ramp was then given a coat of A&I:

By the time that the car is built, it will have a wooden floor which should come up even with the top of the ramp. Glued up some blocks which were given the A&I treatment and glued in between the rails for a car stop.

That's where we're at for now. Also toying with moving the garage a couple more inches towards the front of the diorama to open up the back of the farm a little. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Larry in particular the ramp.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  11:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson thank you for your comment and for stopping by.

Rick thanks. When I started to cover the ramp with the wood I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out; but I'm pleased with the result.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great Larry!

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip thank you; much appreciated.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The scene is coming together nicely, Larry. The loading ramp is a nice touch. Persist!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry looking good!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  08:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good job on the ramp.

I think itís a good idea to leave space between buildings and backdrop to give the impression of distance, provide space for scenery, and eliminate the possibility of buildings casting shadows on the backdrop.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you for your compliment and for stopping by.

Jerry thank you so much.

Michael thank you. I think the only building that I'm getting shadows from is the smokehouse; and that is glued in place. When I take final photos I'll probably use some fill lights to eliminate the problem. Thank you for the suggestion which I'll file away for future use; it's a "learn as you go" concept for me.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000