Railroad Line Forums - Dyna-Models Small Barn Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigs704 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Dyna-Models Small Barn Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line NBW?
Page: of 7

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I work on the finishing touches of the Campbell Oil Derrick build, I have chosen the next project and am getting the walls ready.

Next up is a small barn from Dyna-Models. The copyright date on the plans is 1972.

As was typical of similar kits (e.g. Campbell) of the era, the directions and plans were all on one large sheet of paper.

This shows most of the parts for the barn.

Since I will simply stain the barn siding with A&I, it is un-likely that I will use the window castings. I have little luck making metal castings look like aged wood, so I might just frame out the windows with stripwood.
Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  12:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little kits. The Dyna-Models, and Campbell's show our ages. 1972-73 was when I started model railroading. I agree with you the metal windows for the time were alright, but now that we have concurred wooden windows, I agree with you that making your own would be better looking. Looking forward to your progress. And, back then the instructions always left a lot to be desired.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Should be fun. It fits your rural railroad.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, it sounds like you've been feeling nostalgic lately.

George

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  2:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great. I remember when Dyna Models made some really nice model airplane kits, and that
would have been in the early 1950's. Mostly wood with some metal details.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  2:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good choice, Bruce! Nice little kits!

Yes, I, too, am an antique.

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, this little barn reminds me of "The Little House on the Prairies" barn that the Ingalls had on their farm.
Never really liked the roofing that came with these structure kits.

Greg Shinnie

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, one thing about Dyna Models Kits is that they have not become 'collectable' like the Campbell Kits. I've picked a few up at shows at very reasonable prices. Some of their detail castings were well done, too.

Michael, this little barn will definitely fit in to both my theme and my time period. Logging camps in that time period still used horses/mules/oxen to pull logs out of the woods, so a small barn would fit into a logging camp scene, too.

George, nostalgic for sure. Some of these old kits so close to scratch building that they hone the same skills.

Bob, I did not know that Dyna Models also had a line of model airplanes. Interesting.

Pete, they are indeed nice little kits. I probably have a half-dozen of them on the shelf.

Greg, yes, they had a unique roofing material. For those not familiar with the line of kits, they had a soft, flexible vinyl roofing material with fairly decent 'wood shingles' molded in.

I will not used their roofing. However, I will save it for some future scratch build. If anyone has had experience in painting/weathering the stuff, I would be interested in hearing of your experiences.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  12:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

There have been allegations that I may, long, long ago, have taken one of those roofing sheets and used it as a master to make a mold, from which I would then be able to cast additional sheets for my own use on my own projects. These allegations are, of course, completely specious and without merit and there are no photos available, because... fake news.

Otherwise, try grey primer and washes of various greys, browns and blues here and there.... Better yet, cut your own shingles and glue them on, one by one. It's surprisingly therapeutic and you'll have a unique result. And think of the score sheet when you take it in for an NMRA AP evaluation: "This common shed is completely scratchbuilt, using 54,276 separately crafted wood pieces...."

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  12:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

George, nostalgic for sure. Some of these old kits so close to scratch building that they hone the same skills.

They can also be more difficult than scratch building because you have to interpret the designer's instructions.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  2:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I followed the instructions and glued the vinyl down with Goo and applied brown shoe polish when building their Freight House kit. But in the ~45 years since I built it, the vinyl has shrunk maybe 5% leaving bare edges on three sides. That kit is still serving as a placeholder in Bexley on my layout; I could find/take a picture if you'd like. I could also take off the roof and make it available for a mold.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  5:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That was one of the first models I ever built. Often wondered if the Bar Mills bstn took inspiration from it.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  11:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the build Bruce.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  08:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, like jbvb, I used (full sized) industrial vinyl stair treads to cover steps to the basement. I cut them for a very snug fit. They also shrank a bit in length over time exposing the adhesiveat their ends.
I have some sample squares of different adhesive backed Cooch vinyl retaining walls that I've stuck to various substrates to see how they hold over time in my layout area
and they have curled at their edges no matter hat they were stuck to.

Railrunner130
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I redid an old German sawmill kit to make it look American. I used Cooch walls on the water mill side and no matter what adhesive I used, or how much pressure I put on them with clamps, the edges still curled.

For this build, I would suggest getting some cedar shingles from Rail-Scale Models and doing the roof that way. It'll end up with a beautiful "pop" as the home improvement shows like to say.

Edited by - Railrunner130 on 05/04/2020 08:22:45 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  08:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, Bruce, you’re not using the castings, you’re not using the roof—especially after this discussion— and you don’t have much use for the instructions. I guess that just leaves the walls.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line NBW?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000